Log splitter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently have a splitter that has a 24" ram and want to ad a 36" ram of the same diameter. My question is what effect will this have on my cycle time and splitting force?
Also how would you go about improving cycle time? I assume a bigger pump and higher hp motor.

a longer ram will have the same splitting force and take longer to cycle cuz, well, its longer.

if you want to go faster, get a smallerdiameter ram, or get more gallons per minute.

bwalker,

If the cylinders are the same diameter the ram speed will be the same. The full cycle time will be 50% longer (half again as much stroke). Now if splitting long wood is only a part time thing you could get some cylinder depth stops that clamp on the rod and reduce you stroke when doing short wood.

If you want the same total cycle time with the longer cylinder as the shorter one you need a pump with a 50% more gpm. This may require a larger engine, larger hoses, and larger valve depending on what you have currently.

Don

Latest posts

Back