Logging pictures of my father and me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From August 2005:

The hot summer 2003 has caused a big bark-beetle epidemy here in the southern blackforest. We had to fell some dead spruces again. My father and I used the following Stihl chainsaws: MS 180 C, 023, 036 W and 045 AV.

Two felled spruces and our Stihl 045 AV:
100_1294.JPG

My father turning around one spruce:
100_1295.JPG

Cutting boughs with the Stihl 023:
100_1296.JPG

One of the biggest trees we had to fell:
100_1298.JPG

The outside roots were cut:
100_1299.JPG

The Stihl 045 AV with 20" bar built in 1975 cuts very well. The engine has 5 HP:
100_1300.JPG

You can see myself with the Stihl 045, the felled spruce and our felling equipment:
100_1303.JPG

Last edited:
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Most of our (USA) forest management and conservation practices began with German foresters.

Hello,

here some pictures of my father and me working in our forest or making firewood!

Me cutting with Stihl MS 361:

100_3240.jpg

100_3242.jpg

Father felling with MS 361

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/traktorist2222/WaldHerbst

I am quite sure that most of German forests are government owned and controlled by the local Forest Mister who works for the German Federal Government. All the trees are planted and that is why it looks so cultivated.... (not as bad as Holland where the trees are planted like orchards) Germany has very few "wild" trees and very, very few the size of that one that was shown to be cut up for firewood. Everything reguarding the forests is very strictly controlled by the government,

When the forests began to die in about 1986 due to pollution is when the Government instigated air pollution control standards for thier forests and thier citizens.

A private citizen can not go into a German forest and just cut down trees. He is lucky to just be able to walk through the forest on one of their many controlled pathways.

beech

That beech must've been one heavy SOB! And I would say that the 088 was the right saw for the job. Nice saws and nice job!:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

Great pics, thanks for posting them. I am sure this is a stupid question but I must ask it, all of the saws and the chain box in the back of the car are in english, I would have thought they would have German writing on them??

They do Have German writing on them

Great pics, thanks for posting them. I am sure this is a stupid question but I must ask it, all of the saws and the chain box in the back of the car are in english, I would have thought they would have German writing on them??

It says Stihl.. You reckon Oregon would translate into what? Kentucky?LOL

Here are more pictures!

These are from August 2004 and show my father and my uncle cutting wood fallen by a storm. The chainsaw is a MS 660, almost new at that time.

Martin is that a dual port Muffler on the MS 660??? some of the photos look like there is an exhaust port on the starter side muffler casing????

if so can you post a close up Pic???? nice Photos,,, Ive been through the Black Forest many years ago,,, It is really beautiful as I remember!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :givebeer:

It says Stihl.. You reckon Oregon would translate into what? Kentucky?LOL
Not Kentucky but is Oregon spelled the saim in German as it is in english? I told you it was a stupid question but I have learned alot asking them, I think you can also see on one of the bars it says made in Germany [cant tell for sure], I would think it would say Deutschland? It doesnt matter I was just curious. I never claimed to be a smart man......

Last edited:
Not Kentucky but is Oregon spelled the saim in German as it is in english? I told you it was a stupid question but I have learned alot asking them, I think you can also see on one of the bars it says made in Germany [cant tell for sure], I would think it would say Deutschland? It doesnt matter I was just curious. I never claimed to be a smart man......

HUH, that was pretty stupid wasn't it ?????

:hmm3grin2orange:

Of course, Oregon is Oregon - whether it's English or German. Just McCulloch some Germans pronounce as "Mäck Kuhlock" which means "cow hole"...

The forest that we are cutting in is my father's forest, the spruces have been planted some decades ago. Just the beech is bought from our forest officer.

The MS 660 has no modified muffler.

I will post more pictures during the next days!

Back