LogRite Cant Hook - Which Size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindlingKing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a question about which size LogRite cant hook I should get and need your guidance. I plan to use it with the log stand to cut mostly two to three foot diameter pine and oak. Occassionally I'll be getting some four foot diameter oak to cut up for firewood as well. I'm leaning toward the 78" hook for the extra leverage but am not sure it will also work on the occassional 12" to 18" log. Thoughts? Can I get buy with the 60" cant hook/timberstand for two to three foot diameter logs?

Thanks,

I'm probably going to have to limit myself to one for now. Can I make the big one do for the smaller stuff or is the design only going to work on the bigger logs. Never used a cant hook or timber stand before but here they are great. I can get hold of as much straight pine, fir, cedar, or oak as I want, so thought this would be a great way to keep from rocking my chain...:greenchainsaw:

I'd get the biggest one, then. Once you get beyond 15", a log of any length is going to take a lot of leverage to roll back up onto the stand or, in the interest of not destroying the stand with a massive log or not having it sink into soft ground, onto a smaller log.

Computeruser,

Thanks for the good advice. I was kinda figuring the more leverage the better. Not sure I'll even be able to manage the 2' to 3' logs I run across. I'll probably just have to buck them into short sections to get them up on the stand or another log. Think I'll order from Bailey's tonight. Just got their sale catalogue:blob2: . Wife gave me the go ahead. Gonna blow all my birthday money on this. She really loves me!

I have an old steel oregon log stand

worthless as breast on a boar hog.. any log of any size either won;t roll enough to lift. or it sinks into the mud..
My mom bought it for 5 bucks at a yard sael probably 20 years ago.. Dad tried it a couple of times and it has been under the workbench for 19 plus years.. I drug it out to have a go at it.. It laid out in the woods all winter.. POS.. I did pick it up last week and put it in the barn. Maybe in 10-20 years my son will see it.. and think it might be worth a try. LOL

I often use a cant hook or peavey to roll logs, forget about the stand, really, just cut 3/4 of the way though, roll the log over and cut right through. Works awesome, cut many, many cords this way. No pro uses a stand, waste of time, Eric is right. Try my way, it works.

Clearance,

Thanks for the advice. I'll get the cant hook and probably do just what you say. Seems simple enough to do and will save lots of time since I won't have to sharpen the chain so much. I hate it when I rock the chain cutting firewood. Doesn't happen often but it really takes the fun out of things.

I haven't had much luck with the one I bought. Most of the time it wouldn't grip on the log. The last time I used it the weld that holds the smaller spike in place peeled away from the shaft. Maybe the better quality ones work better. I bought mine from tractor supply. Iwon't be replacing it anytime soon. Like clearance said the loglift feature is useless. If you do get it lifted, the log must be balanced perfectely or you need to stand on the handle.

Back