Logs by the Ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw an ad for "Logs By The Ton".
The seller wants $25 per ton pick up price.

attachment.php

Is this a fair price and how would you know the weight of the load?

Chuck

Dont know where your located ,but compared to my area that price is a little high.There is a chip mill about six miles from my house,they are currently paying 21-22 dollars per ton for wood delivered to the mill.

Several of my customers sell wood there and have offered to bring me a load of mixed ( log length) hardwoods for same price.As for weight that would be hard without scales.most of the straight trucks (single axle) in this area haul around 13-14 tons.

a cord of green oak weighs about 4500lbs i think, correct me if im wrong. puts you at about 50-60 a cord. i saw some guys on here having it deliverd for 85 depending on your location

I would guess that most of the wood would be Ash, since that is 90% of what people are selling
here in NW Ohio. I certainly do not have a scale to weigh the truck load.

Chuck

You could measure and plug into the weight calculator (in the stickies) and have a pretty good idea of what you are getting.
I guess you would need some type of phone with internet capabilities.

25 bucks a ton is cheap! Especdially if you can get it delivered. If you have to go pick it up..dunno. If you need to block it on site, and load, then unload, you are handling bought wood twice to get to start to split it.

They weigh the truck before they load ,,, load the truck ... go back and weigh the truck again ... the difference is the weight of the wood ... weight slips are usually time and date stamped so you know that is the load you get!!

That's right around the bid price for green saw timber--Douglas fir & Others out here. One of our PNW log trucks will haul an average of 27 tons. So you can compare....

Our terminology for the net weight is Tare Weight.

That's right around the bid price for green saw timber--Douglas fir & Others out here. One of our PNW log trucks will haul an average of 27 tons. So you can compare....

Our terminology for the EMPTY weight is Tare Weight.

Fixed it for ya, Miss P, I know how meaning one thing and typing another goes.

The reason that only mills buy logs by the Ton is that is not otherwise practical. Firewood in log form is usually sold by the truck load. Log truck guys usually know how much their trucks hold. Experienced log buyers can also eyeball a load and figure out whether it is worth the asking price.

Here in NW Ohio everybody and their uncle, brother, etc is selling
Ash by the rick, face cord, chevy truck load , ford truck load, shortbed truck load, bag full, etc, etc.
Most sales work out to about $100 to $160 per "real" cord.
Occassionally you find some slab wood and/or some pallet wood by the "pickup load".
Then there is the " cut down my tree for $200 and you can have all the wood" ads.

Seldom do you find anyone selling good, hardwood logs at a reasonable price or location.

Chuck

Back