long bar/wrap handles/skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pros

I don't have anything against full wrap bars. And the guys out west that run long bars and skip ARE PROS! I was just proving MY point. Hey, if I was in a 60"DBH tree you better believe I want at least a 32" bar. It's just another EAST VS WEST thing. And for stilloggin, that's all we run over here,20". Most of the other pro logger guys like me around here run 20". It's rare to find a 24", and if you do it's probably on a 066 or 660. That's probably because, I or they DO NOT want to be swinging a 24" around in a green bryer patch. Plus I think they are power hungry like me. And are trees adverage DBH measures 36".:chainsawguy: ;) :D :biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :rockn:

Do I really have to even respond? ...nope. You guys know whose side I'm on...

Gary
Haha, of course no words are needed from you. We know where your from and how you cut:hmm3grin2orange: . Chalk it up to full wrap, long bars, with skip chains for gary:clap: . Evan

Guys around here don't run 25" on 361's or 32" on 440's because our wood is hard. You may be able to pull that in softwood, but not in locust, hedge, hickory, oak, hard maple or ash.

Sorry i have do disagree. There's nothing professional about a 20 inch bar! That's weekend warrior material. What do you do when your 1400' down a strip and run into a 60" tree? I think the 36" is a better bet but what do i know?

Well, you must know something 'cause you speak the language pretty good.

I don't know anything about how the guys back east cut wood and what they use for saws and bars....and I don't really feel the less for it. I don't knock them either. They're doing exactly what those of us on the left coast are doing...using what works the best for whatever job they're doing. This is a non-issue.:deadhorse: :bang: :notrolls2: Clearance...go climb a tree or something. Quit stirring up the masses.

Last edited:
Guys around here don't run 25" on 361's or 32" on 440's because our wood is hard. You may be able to pull that in softwood, but not in locust, hedge, hickory, oak, hard maple or ash.

Hahaha. You never know what you can cut with a longer bar untill you try.
Several years ago my Dad made a deal for some old mesquite he wanted for some reason. I threw an old wore out 288 with a 30" bar, full comp chisel in the truck and headed to West Texas (I'd do about anything for my old man).
That mesquite had been pushed up in piles for about 3 years (hard as he!!).
There were several guys there cutting smaller stuff, and they all stopped to watch that nut with the long bar cut those 24" trunks. I don't know much about hardwood, but I don't think you get much harder than that.
The best part of the trip was in the coffee shop. Every farmer, and wood cutter wanted one of them Husky saws, said they never saw nothin like it.:laugh:

Andy

20 incher

cutting timber is my job so i guess im what yall would consider a pro. I will have to say that east of the rockies is 20 inch territory. Now west is anything from 28 to 60 inchers. i kust know that i can throw 50 dbh red oaks with no splitting all day with my 440, and how i would hate to be dragging some heavy ass big ass saw up and down that mountain!!
just try it as a job and u will get what we are saying ha ha!:cheers:

cutting timber is my job so i guess im what yall would consider a pro. I will have to say that east of the rockies is 20 inch territory. Now west is anything from 28 to 60 inchers. i kust know that i can throw 50 dbh red oaks with no splitting all day with my 440, and how i would hate to be dragging some heavy ass big ass saw up and down that mountain!!

Have you grown up yet?

-your profile still says that you are 17.......

i cut timber here in IL and i usually cut all my stumps around ankle high.....full wrap wouldn't work so well...but i can't even think of a time when i would have needed a full wrap...i just don't get the point....y not just cut with the top of the bar???? but then again i have never used one...and prolly never will...

h^ll i missed the no need to respond part

Not here for a pissin' match, but I make stumps just as low with 3/4 wraps in big wood everyday. Just back bar the under cut - then match up the back cut. Easier that most think.

Go back and work in Unity, OR and then tell us what your set up is. Worked with guys from Unity quite a bit, as well as the country. Spent nearly a year in Joseph and John Day - on four different forks of the J-Day River. Two totally different extremes.

"Mountain"??? in VA??? ...Mountains have snow on them year 'round mang!

LOL

Gary

I live on top of a "mountain" here in PA - 1720 feet above sea level. I was talking to a friend who lives in the shadows of the Wasatch and he just chuckled and said, "you mean hills."

It still hurts biking up them though..... :)

Latest posts

Back