long bar/wrap handles/skip chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly

and a 42" would get you laughed at out here, and whenever you tried putting a facecut, backcut on somebody's big white oak it would get u fired whenever you pulled the heart out of it, different tools for different jobs

Exactly! Finally, someone understands! There are different cutting styles from PNW to EC, so don't compare them!:greenchainsaw: :clap: :)

I have not read this tread, all I want to say is;

Don't use a longer bar than you really need!!!!!

- balance, cutting speed, and total weight will suffer.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

Last edited:
I have not read this tread, all I want to say is;

Don't use a longer bar than you really need!!!!!

- balance, cutting speed, and total weight will suffer.....:givebeer: :givebeer:

along with your "coolness" factor, everyone knows long bar means more cool user and same goes with size of HORRENDOUS LOG CLAWS OF DOOM

:jester: :rockn:

Here is something that you guys have already said, but,,
For myself it comes down to-- if I am wearing corks and walking the log to limb it I like to use the long bar/west co. method. But if I am walking beside the logs on the ground to limb then it is the short bar eastern/method.
I used to go along with the long bar saves my back theory, and those short bars just did not feel right. If all you use is long bars you get used to them and get good at limbing with them.
When we moved here I still wore corks, walked the log to limb and used a long bar. All the time thinking that I didn't really need the long bar but it was what I was used to and it was easier on my back. The short bars just felt funny. The easier on the back thing did'nt hold water, for me anyway.
Then I forced myself to use a 20" bar when I cut a load of pulp wood on my place to thin it out. After a couple of hours it was a revelation. Big time chain speed. And I could limb like a maniac. I'm thinking of changing my name to something Skandinavian sounding and going to a 12" bar on my 7900.:biggrinbounce2:
It took me years but I have finally realized that its best to not use more bar than you actually need. It all depends on where you are at and what you are doing.

Last edited:
Back