Looking at 50cc saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s219

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So, I think CAD has struck me (currently have three saws and only really need one, never mind a fourth). While shopping around for a bar/chain yesterday, I took a look at three 50cc saws -- the Stihl 261, the Echo 530, and the new Echo 500. I don't really need any of these saws, but have to admit, they cut a LOT better than my 40cc Echo on some wood I conveniently had in the car:

attachment.php

I ended up at a dealer in the area that has Stihl and Echo -- I bought my CS-400 there, and have a good relationship with them. I got to try a demo CS-500/20" and a 261/18" that belonged to one of the parts guys. They also had an Echo CS-530 on the shelf (older model that the 500 replaced). I did not get to run that, but I liked the controls and design better than the 500 (more on that below).

The 261 was the king of the cut, and confirms my earlier experiences that it packs 55-60cc of performance in a 50cc saw. I like the metal casing, even on the clutch cover. I don't love the controls, but am warming up to them. Balance/feel was so-so; compared to the Echos, the 261 doesn't feel as "natural" in my hands. That's the only way I can really describe it -- just feels a little less of a fit (bit still fine).

The Echo 500 is noticeably lighter than the 261 and also has a metal case (except for the clutch cover). It revs a little more freely, but doesn't cut as aggressively. Some of this could be due to the chains of course, but the 261 generally behaves more like Cookie Monster in a cut whereas the 500 felt normal/average (but still a big step up from my 40cc saw). On the other hand, I found the 500 a lot nicer to grip and operate -- just seems to fit me better. I wish I had time to measure the saws for comparison, as I'd be interested to see if there is a significant difference in the arrangement of the handles.

The 261 runs $569 with an 18" blade. The Echo 500 is $469 with a 20" blade. They also had an older 530 for the same price, but I suspect I could talk them down since it's technically an older model. I don't know how it cuts compared to the 500, but I did like the controls a little better. The 500's choke pull seemed cheap, the trigger was limp, and it puts the bar tensioner screw in front, as opposed to the side on the 530. The 530 is a little heavier (maybe 1/2 pound) than the 500. It also has a mostly metal case.

Anyway, that's my story. Right now, I am mainly trying to talk myself out of buying a fourth saw, but that may be a lost cause, as the increase in cutting power from 40 to 50cc was addicting. I went to sleep thinking about saws last night. I have a feeling this is how the sickness starts, and soon I may be looking at 60 and 70cc saws...

By the way, if anyone has cutting experience with the Echo 500 versus the 530, please share. Thanks.

Of course, you do know that the significant variable here (IMHO) is chain sharpness. Doesn't take much to seriously downgrade the relative performance of a saw.
Not saying that your dealer would scam you there- just noting.

s219, I hope you have thick skin because you are going to need it on this website. I have run small echos for years and have loved their reliability and durability. Last May I had a neighbor call me up and wanted to know if I wanted a sycamore that he had just cut up. So I took my truck and trailer to pick up the rounds. There sat a new Husqvarna 240 with the muffler just barely hanging on by a thread. I picked it up and there were several screws that had backed out all over the saw. Evidently the Swedish Engineers at Husqvarna have never heard of loctite or maybe there are just to cheap to use it. The Echo is quality built and comes with a 5 year warranty. The Husqvarna 240 came with a one year warranty and in reality it was a one day warranty.

Keep in mind that dealer support is a key factor, so that narrows me down to Echo and Stihl. I am not opposed to trying a new dealer/brand, but I really like the guys I work with now and have a good existing relationship with them as a Deere dealer. They are honest about their saws, and don't push me one way or another (though you can sort of detect some brand loyalties among the staff).

The chains were sharp to the touch on both saws (as in, scary sharp to the touch -- either new or recently sharpened with a stone tool). So to me the remaining variable between the 261 and 500 would be chain design/quality. Stihl has a better chain product from what I can tell (pretty sure the Echo is running Oregon), but the 261 is also a little more aggressive driving the chain -- there's no doubt it has more power.

s219, I hope you have thick skin because you are going to need it on this website. I have run small echos for years and have loved their reliability and durability. Last May I had a neighbor call me up and wanted to know if I wanted a sycamore that he had just cut up. So I took my truck and trailer to pick up the rounds. There sat a new Husqvarna 240 with the muffler just barely hanging on by a thread. I picked it up and there were several screws that had backed out all over the saw. Evidently the Swedish Engineers at Husqvarna have never heard of loctite or maybe there are just to cheap to use it. The Echo is quality built and comes with a 5 year warranty. The Husqvarna 240 came with a one year warranty and in reality it was a one day warranty.

Nothng fore, or against Echo saws! But, the Husqvarna 240 isn´t really the saw, to keep the Husqvarna flag high in the 40 cc class! It´s a cheap, US build HOMEOWNER saw! Good Husky 40 cc´s are: 339xp, 340 and 440.
Just saying.

To the OP: haven´t tried the Ms 261 or the Echo 500. But if I where to choose, and I liked the one so much better than the other, I wouldn´t be in doubt.
Buy the Echo 500.

Last edited:

I am pretty good at filtering out facts and data from opinions and brand loyalty. This place is still not as bad as web forums for skis and bikes. It's easy to tell when someone is being honest versus someone who's just defending/justifying their choice or bashing another brand.

I realize Echo doesn't get a lot of love here or in pro circles, but my experience with the saws suggests they are very solid for my purposes.

Nothng fore, or against Echo saws! But, the Husqvarna 240 isn´t really the saw, to keep the Husqvarna flag high in the 40 cc class! It´s a cheap, US build HOMEOWNER saw! Good Husky 40 cc´s are: 339xp, 340 and 440.
Just saying. ......

Not only Homeowner, but a cheap POS one! My dealer refuse to sell them.

Well I have a 261 and really like it, I don't know anything about the echo line. The extra $ 100 for the Stihl in my opinion is well worth it and if you decided to sell it at some point in the future you will reap the benefit of Stihl's value retention, deserved or not, it is a fact for sure.

Well I have a 261 and really like it, I don't know anything about the echo line. The extra $ 100 for the Stihl in my opinion is well worth it and if you decided to sell it at some point in the future you will reap the benefit of Stihl's value retention, deserved or not, it is a fact for sure.

saxman, I agree with you 100% the Pro Stihl is quality built and durable. I have a friend that just retired from the Shelby County road and bridge department here in West Tennessee. He told me that they had just about tried all the major brands of saws over the years and Stihl held up the best.
He said the county road dept. boys were brutal on chainsaws.

I say buy a Stihl.....or an Echo.

Bet they both cut wood for a long time.

Keep in mind that dealer support is a key factor, so that narrows me down to Echo and Stihl. I am not opposed to trying a new dealer/brand, but I really like the guys I work with now and have a good existing relationship with them as a Deere dealer. They are honest about their saws, and don't push me one way or another (though you can sort of detect some brand loyalties among the staff).

The chains were sharp to the touch on both saws (as in, scary sharp to the touch -- either new or recently sharpened with a stone tool). So to me the remaining variable between the 261 and 500 would be chain design/quality. Stihl has a better chain product from what I can tell (pretty sure the Echo is running Oregon), but the 261 is also a little more aggressive driving the chain -- there's no doubt it has more power.[/QUO
There'a a thread on here somewhere that has a ported 152 Efco running close to 4HP. and amazing everyone, but still no respect. It's almost $200 cheaper than the "super" 50cc saws.

I have a 346XP and had a Stihl 025, like them both, in a weak moment, I sold the 025 to a friend and have been sorry ever since. My favorite is the 346 and don't think anything will top it for me, but I liked the 025 so well that I bought a used 026 last Friday. The 026 is almost a much fun to run as the 346 so of the saws you listed as possibilities, I have to vote for he NEW 026, the MS261, it will put a smile on your face.

Back