looking at a trailer tonight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
some guy is selling a 16 foot landscape trailer. just a couple years old, new tires, brakes work, all lights, has a nice clean deck and the gate has those list assist things on it. dual axle, of course.

he wants a grand for it. i checked local listings and they run from $1500 on up.

good deal or not? should i offer him less? maybe $850?

I'd say that sounds like a great deal considering all the new parts that have been put into it. When I bought my 6x10 at TSC, I paid around $1000.00, I say go for it and if you do post some pics.

Sounds like a good buy,I have a 16 foot car trailer that is in pretty decent condition but could use a little work,lights,wiring etc.I wouldn't take a $1000 for it..

so, i'd be insulting him offering less...right?

i don't mind paying the grand for it, as long as it's worth it.

I have a 16 footer as well, built by Port City Trailers in Mobile Al.No brakes,no tailgate, and came with some pretty cheasy tires.I paid a grand for it and it has served me well.With what has been added to on top of having brakes i think that would be a good deal!

so, i'd be insulting him offering less...right?

i don't mind paying the grand for it, as long as it's worth it.

I wouldn't feel i was insulting him. I'd make an offer lower than the seller is asking....... its part of the game of buying used. If he doesn't budge..... you can still buy it at his asking price ( which does sound like a great deal).

I bought a 5x10 single axle for $1000 and I've not found this Brand and style
for any less. I'm thinking $1000 for what you're looking at is a very good price.

I offered less but made no arguement when the seller wouldn't budge. It's all part of the game. Makes the seller feel good if he gets his asking price also.

check the weight rating, landscape trailers sometimes are 2K axles and not build as beefy as, car trailers which would be at least 3.5k axles and bigger frames...at 16' long you can get some real weight on there with firewood.

Would still offer him less you can always go up, but you will have some trouble comming down. As long as it is in good shape I would think it is worth 1k.

Got pics?
As said before - what are the weight of the axles? If they're at least 3500# each - its a good deal. I'd still offer him less, and see what he says...he may surprise you and take your offer!
I have a 16' tandem axle w 5k axles, 2' wood sides and I pd 1k for it, and have hauled 8-10k lbs of wood more than I can say (a 3/4 ton vehicle really helps!) I couldn't do this business without it.
A 16' tandem axle trailer is a great value and will pay for itself MANY times over! Be prepared --- the "can I borrow your trailer?" people will come out of the wood work!
Good luck tonight - let us know what happens.

Just give him the $1,000 and consider it a score. I don't even bother trying to talk people down, if the deal is a good one. If it's not then I try. :cheers:

Prices seem down on trailers, as there are a ton of them on the market.I think you should make a list of everything that you want in a trailer and then start looking.The bigger GVW trailers are often cheaper than the 7k car trailers around here.

I have 16 ft landscape trailer with 2 3500 lb axles under it and I gave $900 for it. I have since added brakes, new lights, paint, and tires. I have been offered 1700 to 2k for it on several occasions. A grand for a trailer of that size is a pretty good deal if it's in good shape. You can tell what weight the axle(s) can handle by measuring the main axle tube. Here's a link with a good chart on how to tell what's what when it comes to axles, http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/axlechart.html.

Be prepared --- the "can I borrow your trailer?" people will come out of the wood work!

I have a pintle hitch on mine...sure keeps the "borrowers" at bay.

I also found having a 7 pin round connector on the trailer slows people down too, which I don't get since most newer trucks have 7 pin plugs on them.

Be prepared --- the "can I borrow your trailer?" people will come out of the wood work!

I have a pintle hitch on mine...sure keeps the "borrowers" at bay.

See, I don't mind it... I have a friend with a 20' car hauler, I have a 5x8 utility trailer, and another friend has a 6x12 enclosed... We all borrow each others' trailers when the need arises, and we are all only out the price of one trailer...

Mike

ok..looked at it. it's red...has a gorilla lift gate assist, tires are great, and i took a picture of the tag and lift. no bends or dents, no rot on the frame.

he was firm on a grand....

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doesn't seem like a bad deal for $1000. The 5K GVW suprises me. I cannot remember seeing 2500lb axles. It'll haul more than most pickups.
My deck-over has two 3500lb axles & is rated for 7500lb GVW. It must assume 500lb tongue weight.

Last edited:
Back