Looking for a 50ish cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beechy09

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the forum!
Last year I bought a cheap Remington 42cc 16”saw to do some light cutting for maybe a face cord of campfire wood and trimming shooting lanes around our hunting property. It worked fine for that.
I recently bought a house with a wood burning boiler, so I’m gonna need to cut quite a bit more wood than I used to.
I’m thinking about a saw in the 45-55cc range for around $400 or less. I have Stihl, husqvarna, and echo dealers all within 30 miles and I’m not leaning toward a certain brand. The specific saws I’m considering are: Echo cs-490 ($350), Stihl ms250 ($350), or ms 271 “farm boss”($400), and husqvarna 445e ($300)or 450 ($400).
I have lots of mechanical and some small engine experience so I’m not afraid to do some mods to any of these.
Any advice or other suggestions are appreciated!

If you have the mechanical skills get a used pro saw from a member here. If you don't like that route I think most folks will say buy the echo. I'd shop around and get a new husky 545/555. Plenty of good used pro grade saws on here. The only new saw I've bought is a husky 460 rancher, I use it the least. I mainly run the used pro saws I bought on these forums.

For about $400 (or under) you can get a 60cc Echo cs-590 with 20" bar.
We've been running ours 6 or 7 years and it's given no problems.
If you can get it from your echo dealer would probably be best. If not they're all over ebay new in box sub $400.

Edit: Sorry, welcome to the forum!

Thanks guys! I’m not at all opposed to a used pro saw. But locally not much is available. Craigslist and Facebook only have 10-20 saws at any time, mostly poulan or other cheap homeowner saws.
I am kind of leaning toward the echo 490. Heard nothing but good about them, especially after a simple muffler mod and carb tube.
My 2 local echo dealers do have both the 490 and 590. I handled them both and the 590 is noticeably heavier but I’m sure the extra power could be nice.
This will be a saw that I use primarily for wood to heat my own home, but would like to sell some wood as well, so will probably use often, then sit for awhile. Definitely not being used everyday. Hmm... decisions decisions

Thanks guys! I’m not at all opposed to a used pro saw. But locally not much is available. Craigslist and Facebook only have 10-20 saws at any time, mostly poulan or other cheap homeowner saws.
I am kind of leaning toward the echo 490. Heard nothing but good about them, especially after a simple muffler mod and carb tube.
My 2 local echo dealers do have both the 490 and 590. I handled them both and the 590 is noticeably heavier but I’m sure the extra power could be nice.
This will be a saw that I use primarily for wood to heat my own home, but would like to sell some wood as well, so will probably use often, then sit for awhile. Definitely not being used everyday. Hmm... decisions decisions
@chipper1 has a 545 for sale.

How much wood do you expect to cut every year, and what is the normal diameter/species of wood you cut.

I'd cut 10 cords of 12" fir or pine every year with a muffler modded 50cc saw. Oak, ash, maple, especially the bigger stuff we have around here, no thanks. I'd want a 50cc and a 70cc saw. Actually that's exactly what I was using today bucking up some 6-8" oak and cherry and some 16-22" oak and elm.

Hard to guess the average size wood, but it’s all hardwood around here. Mostly oak, maples and some hickory. New neighbor just came over to introduce himself and gave me permission to cut whatever I want on his 200+ acres. I’m guessing the average will be under 18” diameter

You’ll want more than 50 cc for a score like that. For the money you won’t regret the Echo 590. Comes with a 20” bar, you can jump to a 24”, I wouldn’t go any longer.

I'd be looking at the Echo 590. Ebay or dealer sale day.

I ran a Jonsereds 49SP as my only saw for years and it would certainly handle that duty (and i'm sure the Echo 490 would as well), but for 18"average a 60 cc will do better. 200 acres is some woodlot!

Welcome to AS Beechy.
I'd want a 50cc and a 70cc saw
Personally I like the advice Ryan gave :rolleyes:.
I like a nice 50-70cc combo.
If you want to tote around a 60cc saw all the time I agree the 590 echo is a great bang for the buck.
Hard to guess the average size wood, but it’s all hardwood around here. Mostly oak, maples and some hickory. New neighbor just came over to introduce himself and gave me permission to cut whatever I want on his 200+ acres. I’m guessing the average will be under 18” diameter
Get the truck and trailer hooked up, grab the headlamps and start cutting now!:laughing:. Honestly with an offer like that I think it would be best to get a bunch of guys together with about every saw under the sun to help you out(you would also get a better understanding of what will work best for your needs). It's amazing how many guys on here will come running at the chance to blow the cobwebs out of their saws. You could make a post asking for help and offering food and have enough wood cut on one Saturday to heat the place all yr :happy:.

How much wood do you expect to cut every year, and what is the normal diameter/species of wood you cut.

I'd cut 10 cords of 12" fir or pine every year with a muffler modded 50cc saw. Oak, ash, maple, especially the bigger stuff we have around here, no thanks. I'd want a 50cc and a 70cc saw. Actually that's exactly what I was using today bucking up some 6-8" oak and cherry and some 16-22" oak and elm.
2 saws would be a better choice but if your budget is at $400 and just getting 1 saw, Echo 590 hands down.

Welcome, Sir!

I agree with the Echo recommendations whole-heartedly! I have a 490 and I love it! But for what you’re describing, I’d say start with the bigger 590 (or something else you like in the 60-70 cc range), then add a lighter saw once you’ve sold a few loads. I’m basically reiterating what others have said ;)

Best of luck!

Back