Looking for a log splitter now.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Call me a commie bastid or what not, HF just came out with a new price on the 30 ton.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96907

Ok, maybe it's not the bestest or faststest, but the price leaves room for upgrades in the future?
They don't have one in the local store so I have no idea (other than what I have read) what I am getting. The reviews I have seen it's either love or hate, nothing in between!! Amazingly, EVERYONE love the engines, and the problems I have read, can be remidied pretty easily, a lot easier than building one.
Maybe I am just sick of looking and want one, maybe my tight azz side is kicking in again?
Good , bad and ugly, let me have it.

cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
For the money, that is great bang for the buck. I've got the same but hor/vert model. The one you're looking at is laid out much better, but again...what's with the controls so far from where you need them....

Can you weld? Relocating that control assembly closer to the cockpit should be easy enough...assuming it's necessary. Only way to fing it is to try.

I say go for it, even though I'm definitely in the "hate it" group!
Once you have the basic setup, customizing can likely be done cheaper/quicker than if getting every single little component from scratch.

Last edited:
davegster

davegster

ArboristSite Lurker
Take a look at Rayco Splitters. They make 1 model : LS 2526. Mine was about $1000 less than the TW-5. It has the same Hydraulics and a slightly larger engine (13 HP Honda).

I'm in my late 30's: I plan on heating with wood till the day I die: I'm not gonna let the woodpile kill me. A splitter should be a once in a lifetime investment. Get something with a Log lift to keep your back healthy.

I cut a few extra cords over the summer to sell. The extra wood that I plan on splitting in the next few summers will pay every dime I invested.

nikocker

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Exactly!

I cut a few extra cords over the summer to sell. The extra wood that I plan on splitting in the next few summers will pay every dime I invested.

That's why looking at American or my choice, Timberwolf, makes sense. SawinRedneck, you could easily sell a few cords of wood and recoup any price difference that you're concerned about now. Plus, you'd end up with one of the finest splitters out there.

Al :clap:

attachment.php

sawinredneck

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Take a look at Rayco Splitters. They make 1 model : LS 2526. Mine was about $1000 less than the TW-5. It has the same Hydraulics and a slightly larger engine (13 HP Honda).

I'm in my late 30's: I plan on heating with wood till the day I die: I'm not gonna let the woodpile kill me. A splitter should be a once in a lifetime investment. Get something with a Log lift to keep your back healthy.

Too cold for much of anything, so I called on one. WOW!!!!! A LOT out of my price range!! Nice unit, I saw the videos. But just shipping is about the price of the HF unit!!! I don't see one in my near future.