Looking for a log splitter now.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kills the Troybuilt is the time it takes to kick in to the second stage. It hits the log then you wait, then you wait some more, then wait, and about the time you are ready to just give up it starts moving.

You can change that by adjusting the valve on the pump itself. If you change the psi setting, it will kick down to the lower gpm stage faster, and not take so freaking long so split. :)

So after all is said and done, what are the criteria I should be lloking for in a good splitter? Cycle time apparently is important. Is there minimum ton/pressure I should get? How about wedge height? Horse power from the motor? I'll be getting one in the spring and i'm starting to look now. So far I've seen the Troybuilts to have good reviews and years ago I used a friends Northern Hydraulics splitter and had zero complaints. One thing I noticed in a reviwe was the Troybuilt 33 ton was best overall splitter but the 27 ton was best for professional use. What give there? Wouldn't the 33 ton be better?:confused:

A troybuilt is a MTD painted yellow with lights, some yellow fenders, and a few hundred more dollars for the paint and the name. Same motor, same pump, same cylinder.

I have a Wallenstein that I bought used for less than a grand. Since you are using it for your buisness I would say spend the money now. You will see it in return in the future. Think of reliability for the long haul and cycle time for imediate returns. Time is money. Also I would hope that as an American, you as the purchaser of a new piece of equipment, would consider supporting the domestic maket. With the purchase of an American made machine. Just my two cents.

Ok, here's my two cents worth. I went through the SEARCH late last year for a good splitter also. I am just getting set up to sell firewood and wanted a quality unit that would last, had a proven track record, a fast cycle time, out feed table grate, a four way wedge option, honda engine, good portability, and a comfortable working height. I ended up choosing the American 25HH with the Honda 8 hp, 16 gal pump, 10 second cycle time, 4 way wedge, 13" road tires, and 25" working height out-feed table, and an option called a wedge backer. To date, I am very satisfied with this machine. The Timberwolf is top of the line but I didn't see enough quality difference between the two to go with the Timberwolf considering the additional cost.
My next choice for less money would probably have been the Iron and Oak if I had not purchased the American. I didn't seriously consider any others for various reasons, cycle times, service, working heights, engine options, etc. We have Speeco locally but as others have noted, the quality seems to be slipping.
I am confident that the American will serve me well for a long time and if I can get my sales up enough to justify it, I would consider purchasing the Supersplit to add to the equation. Short of a processor, I think that would be a hard pair to improve on if your sales could justify the purchase. Hope this helps out somewhat.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

Ok, here's my two cents worth. I went through the SEARCH late last year for a good splitter also. I am just getting set up to sell firewood and wanted a quality unit that would last, had a proven track record, a fast cycle time, out feed table grate, a four way wedge option, honda engine, good portability, and a comfortable working height. I ended up choosing the American 25HH with the Honda 8 hp, 16 gal pump, 10 second cycle time, 4 way wedge, 13" road tires, and 25" working height out-feed table, and an option called a wedge backer. To date, I am very satisfied with this machine. The Timberwolf is top of the line but I didn't see enough quality difference between the two to go with the Timberwolf considering the additional cost.
My next choice for less money would probably have been the Iron and Oak if I had not purchased the American. I didn't seriously consider any others for various reasons, cycle times, service, working heights, engine options, etc. We have Speeco locally but as others have noted, the quality seems to be slipping.
I am confident that the American will serve me well for a long time and if I can get my sales up enough to justify it, I would consider purchasing the Supersplit to add to the equation. Short of a processor, I think that would be a hard pair to improve on if your sales could justify the purchase. Hope this helps out somewhat.

Maplemeister: :cheers:

I actually just got a link to prices on American, and that was the exact model that caught my eye. Still more than I had planned on spending, but isn't that always the case?
Thanks for the help.

Anybody know the $$ neighborhood of the Timberwolf, TW-1 splitter? I too have got the itch to pick up a good basic splitter.

Around $4600 new is what I have been seeing.

Hope that's a typo

When looking around about 3-4 months ago list on a TW-P1 was $2100. Add $200 for the 4-way, and IIRC the outfeed table was around $300. Most dealers would discount if you bought the package.

Wasn't impressed with the log lift. One of those things that was harder to work around than use, at least the one the dealer let me try.

TW-P1 is an excellent machine, no complaints with my used one.

Take Care

$4600? Not So.

I paid $2195 with the out feed table this summer.

Al

Just called my dealer and current price is about $2600 with table.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've read the comments on what is needed in a splitter and for some reason the timberwolf is the cream of the crop yet it has a 5.5 horse motor when others have posted nothing less than 8-9 horse, cycle time is about the same at 13 seconds and all else is equal. So why the timberwolf?

Also, I see some say as a pair, they would get the splitter and then get the Supersplit. Why both and not just one, say the Supersplit due to its quick cycle? Can it not take large logs? If so, how big is too big?

Sorry to be a p.i.t.a. but I I figured I'd ask some with experience. No need making mistakes others have made.:cheers:

Ok, so I've read the comments on what is needed in a splitter and for some reason the timberwolf is the cream of the crop yet it has a 5.5 horse motor when others have posted nothing less than 8-9 horse, cycle time is about the same at 13 seconds and all else is equal. So why the timberwolf?

Also, I see some say as a pair, they would get the splitter and then get the Supersplit. Why both and not just one, say the Supersplit due to its quick cycle? Can it not take large logs? If so, how big is too big?

Sorry to be a p.i.t.a. but I I figured I'd ask some with experience. No need making mistakes others have made.:cheers:

You are asking a lot of the same questions I am asking!!
The timberwolf is supposed to be built beter, but as you point out, I'm not sold for the huge price difference.

The Supersplit is great, but seems to not like the knoty and crotch wood.
Get both styles and you can split it all. But it's double the money!!!
Why not just get a fast cylcle time hyd. like the American?
I don't know either, I am even more confused than I was!

I've decided to save my pennies until I can swing a TW or American. Besides being a quality unit, I think in this economy one of the good things to do when possible is buy American made. A TW-P1 look about right for me.

I went through the same confusion when I started my splitter search. One thing to keep in mind is that American and Timberwolf are both top of the line splitters, but both companies produce a range of splitters from homeowner to HD production models. The Twp 1 is a homeowner designed splitter. Still, it is a reliable enough machine that I currently know of two different rental stores that use them exclusively. If you are just splitting for yourself and family the entry level units of either manufacturer would serve you well. If you are considering commercial production then you would probably want to step up to the commercial grade units for the increased cycle speeds, larger pumps, and heavier duty components. I tend to purchase for the long haul and when I made my decision to buy, I had my machine custom built by the plant. Had to wait two months to get it, but it came with everything I wanted at at price I was willing to pay. If you want top of the line then my suggestion would be to sit down with pencil and paper and lay out what options you have to have on a splitter to be happy. Once completed, start contacting your local dealers and getting their best price. After completing that excerise, if you find an American or Timberwolf that fits in your budget, I am sure you would be happy with either one. If you find both those manufacturers to be to pricey, then you have to start looking at some of the cheaper models such as Iron & Oak, northern etc. I intentionally did not mention the Supersplit up to this point as I think it is somewhat of a specialty
splitter. I have never run one, but understand them to be very fast and perhaps the fastest machine out there for one man production purposes. They are also supposed to be very reliable with few moving parts to go south on you. My impression is that they do not have the grunt of a heavy duty standard hydraulic splitter in the real tough gnarly wood, but excel in the straighter grain stuff. There are others on this forumn who can offer first hand knowledge on this machine better than I but it might be worth your consideration depending on your wants and needs. Hope this doesn't just add to the confusion. Incidentally, I saw a TWp1 in our local paper about two weeks ago for 1700.00. It was gone in two days. They don't show up very often, and when they do, they don't last long.

Maplemeister: :chainsaw: :cheers:

If I had to have a 2 splitter setup I would get a cheap 20ton brave,swisher,yard machine,ect and a Super splitter. A Supper splitter can handle crotches and knotty stuff. It just doesn;t have a log lift so the big ones could give you trouble getting them up there. That's where the cheap splitter works in vertical mode to slit them on the ground in half or quarters. Then run them through the SS. I had that setup at first then had a upside down splitter made for my skid steer. Now I don't get off the machine to split the big boys. Here is the real break down though. You don;t need to worry about the big boys because you have a chainsaw you can rip them with. Problem solved. If your just cutting wood for yourself and don;t cut that much save your money and get a big box store splitter and it will serve you for years. If you want to sell wood and make some money get a Super Splitter. It's hands down the best 3k splitter you can get on the market. If your really selling firewood and trying to do production if you come to a problem piece you should just toss it aside and keep going. There is no reason to spend 5 minutes jacking with a knotty crappy piece when you could bust 6 or 7 other pieces in that time. You do not realize how good the SS is until you use it. Also the splitters don't have trouble with crotches and knotty pieces they will do them just fine. I have a friend with a TW-2 it's a nice well built machine but very slow compared to my SS. I can out split him 3 to 1 easy. More then that if I'm in good wood. Think about what I'm saying in this next statement and compare it to your hydraulic splitter. If the rounds are stacked up ready to go. I can split faster then you can stack it in the truck and that's the truth.

Scott

For what it's worth regarding splitting the gnarly crotches and stuff, hydraulic vs super split 20 ton vs 30 ton, etc etc.....have youy seen what a mess splitters make with these anyway? Truly the nastiest looking, unstackable splits come from these. For those occassional ones when you split all the good stuff around it and left with that large twisty stuff, just saw it....it'll at least have straight sides you can stack.

Just make sure your body agrees with the layout of a machine before you buy it.

Just make sure your body agrees with the layout of a machine before you buy it.

That is another problem, I don't have any dealers around this area! I've looked at all the manufactures and nothing other than Iron and Oak 75 miles away! All I get to see are the Speeco and Huskee variants with whatever they sell at the box stores.

Yes, I have learned to walk away from the gnarly pieces, it's hard! It was easy on the crap wood we sold and got for free, but driving 100 miles each way to cut and haul it back, that took some time to sink in!!
This is also going to be a production thing, I don't know if that comment was meant for me or not, but I want to get this simplified as best I can. I saw the Hud-Son Badger, neat setup, really ideal for me! I am hauling back 8' logs, plop them in front of it, slic an dice!!!! BUT money is tight right now! Where do you draw the line? I told the wife around $2k, I can't find jack worth owning for that. The Badger is $16k, I can't justify that to her. Long term it might be the ticket, but I think I would either want bigger, or break it in a few years.
To get a Timberwolf that will do what I want and expect, I am dumping a large chunk.
I like the sound of the American, but can't see one.
The super split looks neat, but again, no one can explain the differences between the models, and I wouldn't get anything but a Honda, so that ups the cost.
The Brave, for the money I would up to an Iron and Oak or an American and get the cycle time. Brave has left me unimpressed. They seem to sell the "common" versions of the I and O splitters.

So, I want production, $3k is really a stretch (wife is still mad about the mini skidsteer purchase, but starting to understand) NO DEALER anywhere near me (type in 67210 for a zip) and cycle time. What do you do?

i promise you,

In a nutshell, I want a good cycle time, enough power to deal with Hedge and Elm, very twisty wood, and apperantly under $3k.
I don't think I want under 9hp on a hyd. unit, and nothing less than a Honda.
The Yard Machines is identical to the Troybuilt. I would not discourage that purchase for a homeowner that isn't in a hurry. Most of the Oak I get I can split two to three rounds with the maul faster than the splitter can split one. I just cant do more than a face cord at a time without a break. (About 30-45min) What kills the Troybuilt is the time it takes to kick in to the second stage. It hits the log then you wait, then you wait some more, then wait, and about the time you are ready to just give up it starts moving.
I don't expect it to keep up with the maul, but as a few others have said, even 3 seconds makes a huge difference over an hour!

the 8 hp powered American is the perfect machine for you.i tried it at the dealers.it's fast and splits knotty stuff great.two guys barely keep up with it.two guys cannot keep up with their 11HP model.get the 4 way.i didn't think i would like it but my buddy pestered me too get it.said if it didn't grow on me,he'd pay for it.i'm glad i got it.i bought the pans but if you can weld,you could make them easily. i have the 5.5 hp one in the tradin' post.it's an excellent splitter as well.just has a smaller pump,resevoir and engine.still smokes my buddies TSC 22 ton and my other buddies 31 ton Yard Machine.don't get me wrong,when they work they split wood but they are slow and not nearly as well made.

i looked at the SS at the tree show last november in hartford.nice folks and nice machine.my issue was the stand and axle looks flimsy and i need a machine i can tow.SS isn't that machine.if it would never leave my yard,i probably would have gotten it.

Back