Looking for a small fireside splitting maul.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Years ago, I had one of these, my ex thru away.

6440077.jpg

Came in very handy splitting smaller pieces into kindling. It's made my Eastwing but have read that they no longer sell the leather grip model. I've read that people have ordered the leather grip only to receive the newer model with a vinyl grip.

31xO5I8i5gL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Any leads? Something better? I have an original monster maul too and remember that they also made a smaller version, maybe 6lb?

go with the rubber grip estwing....that handle absorbs shock really well

Fiskars makes a fine little splitting maul, about the size of a slightly oversized hatchet but with a different profile to the head. Awesome little kindling making tool. I use it in the garage for kindling, in the yard for the patio firepit, when out camping, and it can even be used as a hatchet, if you want. Definitely worth the $25 I paid for it.

go with the rubber grip estwing....that handle absorbs shock really well

Yep. Leather looks great, but really, the vinyl is a much better product.

I got a small monster from Iron and Oak. You might take a look at that. Haven't used it much, so can't say much about it. I had a steel mallet from them, but the head broke off. I was using it for setting wedges before I got my splitter. Didn't get a full season out of it. I was not impressed with it, but the monster maul I got from them is very good. Nice folks, too.

Hmmm. Just checked their site, but it looks like they don't carry it anymore. Maybe give them a call?

http://www.logsplitters-ironoak.com/index.php

split wood indoors

I can't say that I have ever done that..I have an old leather wrapped estwing but it weighs about 1/2 pound. more of a wall hanger..I usually try to get 2-55 gallon barrels of kindling split and leftovers from the logsplitter for starters..other than that..I keep my wood big and heavy. Good luck..I have seen some bicycle pump looking deals that split wood..that would be handy for inside splitting. might be time to go to the drawing board and weld up something. same principle as a can crusher..just a thought..good luck in your search

If I ever started splitting in the house my wife would brain me. She always over does it collecting splitter trash for kindling and salts it away in the shed. In over 30 years of wood burning we have never been short of kindling.

Of coarse if you buy wood you're going to need kindling.

Last edited:
I just use my 6 Lb cheapo splitting maul for kindling as well as firewood, for kindling just grip it as close as you can to the head with one hand and you don't really need to swing it hardly at all, it splits kindling nicely.

Fiskars makes a fine little splitting maul, about the size of a slightly oversized hatchet but with a different profile to the head. Awesome little kindling making tool. I use it in the garage for kindling, in the yard for the patio firepit, when out camping, and it can even be used as a hatchet, if you want. Definitely worth the $25 I paid for it.

:agree2:

That's what I use and it is perfect for kindling. Got mine on Flea Bay for $25.

It is the 17" splitting axe model #7856

I got the hatchet , it's lite and takes some getting used too , but gets it done

snow2008072.jpg

Latest posts

Back