Looking for an older and unique project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that I've basically finished the three 084s and 066RL, I'm thinking about looking for something older and unique. I don't want a modern saw for this project. Of course, I prefer another Stihl to add to my collection. What about a 08S? I've seen them mentioned in passing but know nothing about them. Looks kind of like a baby 090.

Last edited:
If your thinking about taking it easy on your wallet this go round...shoot for an 015. You should be able to buy a truckload of 015 part saws for the amount of money you had into your NOS 084 ;).

Funny you say that. I'm supposed to pick up a 015AV tomorrow for $40. It's a good runner with bar and chain. Needs one AV mount. A tech at the dealer is selling it.

I want something older looking than a 015 though.

Can you believe a NOS 07 is still around. I'm not looking to spend this kind of money though. NOS 07

Ok I assume it must be an 015 AV...I might actually have some NOS parts floating around for them at home.

By looking at acres site it appears the 08s was introduced in 1963 and the 015 was introduced in 1973. Other saws that fit in between that timeline are the 030/031, 040/041, 050/051, etc.

For my $0.02 cents worth, there are millions of old 041's hovering around. There a mule of a saw and would be cheep power. I would run an 041 long before an 08S , there heavy for the power but equally a saw for hard work, maybe a little harder to get 08S parts?

Ok I assume it must be an 015 AV...I might actually have some NOS parts floating around for them at home.

By looking at acres site it appears the 08s was introduced in 1963 and the 015 was introduced in 1973. Other saws that fit in between that timeline are the 030/031, 040/041, 050/051, etc.

I haven't seen it yet. Sounds like it should be in pretty good condition. We'll see.

The other saws you mention have a similiar look to each other. They remind me of my BIL's 041FB. The 08 caught my eye because it's so different in design. It just looks older and more unique. Anything nasty or undesirable about them?

For my $0.02 cents worth, there are millions of old 041's hovering around. There a mule of a saw and would be cheep power. I would run an 041 long before an 08S , there heavy for the power but equally a saw for hard work, maybe a little harder to get 08S parts?

I don't care about weight or useability. This will just be for the collection. Another reason the 08 caught my eye.

My dad has had an 08s for the last 30 years or so lol. It was actually the first saw I have ever used. They are heavy, slow, underpowered, etc. compared to modern saws, but extremely dependable. They are also the same powerplant that was used in the TS350 concrete saw so you are able to scrounge parts from them also.

I don't care about weight or useability. This will just be for the collection. Another reason the 08 caught my eye.

O8's were one of the first saws used in the rent-a-tool *business they were so rock-solid.

Back in the day that it would nor seem likely that you could rent a chainsaw to someone, or let an in law borrow one, the 08 came along.

*or could say were a profitable/reliable saw that could be rented out and expect getting something back.

I didn't do it to be mean, honest. Funniest was the PM I got from a collector asking if I had one. Said member shall remain nameless forever, PM deleted and I forgot their username anyways. Still funny tho.

I don't know if I could chisel my BIL out of his pukey green pride and joy.

A smaller saw would be cool, I'm not familiar with Stihl's older small saws.

Build an 08S... and I just happen to know where there are NEW crankcases (including the fuel tank) and new cranks.... new bearings are $5 each....

Back