Looking for good advise on buying a bucket...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiHD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There is a great truck for sale right now for 32500. It is a 97 gmc with 60' working hieght. It is an old asplundh truck, but will be sold to me here in Canada in Canadian funds, completely certified with up to date annual boom inspection.

My biggest concern is the engine...please give thoughts. Thanks

1997 GMC 60WH LR3 Alltec Bucket Truck
This truck...
is equipped with a 6.0L gas engine
has 5speed fuller transmission
has 11ft chipper dump box
has 2 hydraulic stabilizers (center mount)
has 3 cylinder kabota gas engine
has hydraulic pump on transmission and kabota
has upper and lower controls
has tool outlets on bucket for saw and pole saw
has strobe light on chipper box
has tool box openings pass through from one side to the other
has ladder and pole saw storage on rear of chipper box
has pintle hitch and trailer brake wiring on rear
has upper and lower over-center boom
has bucket with insulated liner
Maintinence
oil and filter changed on motor
gear lube changed on rear axle
new input shaft installed on hydraulic pump on transmission
new output shaft installed on PTO unit on transmission
new PTO cable installed on transmission
50weight synthetic oil installed on transmission
coolant flushed
new tool box door on passenger side and driver side
filter and oil changed on kabota
rear tires 80percent
front tires 80percent
does not require fluid filter changes at this time

Last edited:
sorry dont know nothin about gmc. why was coolant flushed, because of problem or up keep and must have a lot of hours for shafts to have been replaced. i would use all that to get price down.

I'd have to say avoid getting a gas engine. Diesels are so much more reliable, have the torque for pulling hills with chippers, and they handle the constant idling while running the boom. Not to mention the better MPG that you get (or is that MPL there?).

I have one of the same trucks. If you look in treetrader you will find a much much better deal on that exact same truck. I'd give no more than 23k for it us dollars

I'd have to say avoid getting a gas engine. Diesels are so much more reliable, have the torque for pulling hills with chippers, and they handle the constant idling while running the boom. Not to mention the better MPG that you get (or is that MPL there?).

yes MPL...I have a F350 V10 gas and it hates the big hills with a full load on so I feel you there.

go with an international diesel 4x4 if u can
and go with an aerial lift of ct bucket

my friend the truck I am looking at is 32500...the one you just described is probably over 100000 brand new and hard to find used. I appreciate your feedback but there is quite a price difference.

If I could afford a new diesel I would love to get one, but right now I just cant.

mckeetree says he can pretty much get that truck where hes at for between 7500 and 10k.

Actually what you are referring to is trucks I saw sell at an auction last spring. And yes, a 1995 same type truck sold for $7,600.00 and two 96's went for less than $9,000.00 a piece. These trucks were well used and it showed. You said "Where he's at". That particular auction was way closer to you than me so I guess it could be where you're at.

Thanks for all the feedback, and please anyone who actually owns and/or has bought one of these trucks would like to hear more about your experience with them so far.

I know the gas engine is small for the truck especially with a full load and chipper...that is my main concern. Should I just wait another year or two and get the diesel. tough decision.

We recently bought a 1997 Ford F800 with the International 7.7L diesel. I have to say that I love it. I wish it was 4x4, or at least had a splitter on the tranny so that I had a real low range for backing a chipper up a hill. Other than that and the fact that my boss paid to much ($40k for a $20-$25k machine) for it I absolutely love it. I prefer the pistol grip controls to lever controls, but I think that just has to do with what you're used to. I'd say that the only reason I would buy a gas bucket truck was if it was really cheap (<$10k us) to get me by until I could afford a nice diesel. Don't forget that in this day of Green businesses, you can run the diesel on biofuel, too.

We recently bought a 1997 Ford F800 with the International 7.7L diesel. I have to say that I love it. I wish it was 4x4, or at least had a splitter on the tranny so that I had a real low range for backing a chipper up a hill. Other than that and the fact that my boss paid to much ($40k for a $20-$25k machine) for it I absolutely love it. I prefer the pistol grip controls to lever controls, but I think that just has to do with what you're used to. I'd say that the only reason I would buy a gas bucket truck was if it was really cheap (<$10k us) to get me by until I could afford a nice diesel. Don't forget that in this day of Green businesses, you can run the diesel on biofuel, too.

some great points...thanks

Actually what you are referring to is trucks I saw sell at an auction last spring. And yes, a 1995 same type truck sold for $7,600.00 and two 96's went for less than $9,000.00 a piece. These trucks were well used and it showed. You said "Where he's at". That particular auction was way closer to you than me so I guess it could be where you're at.

retired ausplundh, davey, bartlett auction bucket trucks
an auction may show it sold for that, but unless youve had the truck on the road and or try to fly the boom nobody can tell you what its worth. GAMBLE. ive been to a few auctions and seen some used buckets rear main shaft sitting in bed, blown clutch/bad trans. rough idle, blown seals on boom,tapping, go for around 10k,(plus 10% buyers fee, so thats 11k) , A lot of times the foolish overlook whats wrong. but the ones worth a lick go for around 16-22k and get checked out by the dealer who bought them, and resold for 30-35k. If you go to an auction and plan on buying a large piece of equipment BRING A MECHANIC who knows his stuff in hyrdo and HD trucks. I bring two mechanics with me to all auctions. One who is a full time employee who does my fleet maintenance the other is the guy at the hydro shop. Costs me about $500 to visit an auctiion even if I dont buy anything, but so worth it!

these are the facts in my area. other areas are different but not far off cause dealers travel which drives the price up. been going to auctions for over 10yrs. Never bought a bucket truck from there but have bought other pieces of equipment such as excavators, loaders, a crane, attachments and a few dump trucks. and always watch what the tree gear goes for. If a bucket a year or so old with low hours/miles Id be there bidding on it.

Last edited:
Buy a rear mount and forget the chip box. Tree Trader magazines has tons of deals in the mid 20k's.

Last edited:
retired ausplundh, davey, bartlett auction bucket trucks
an auction may show it sold for that, but unless youve had the truck on the road and or try to fly the boom nobody can tell you what its worth. GAMBLE. ive been to a few auctions and seen some used buckets rear main shaft sitting in bed, blown clutch/bad trans. rough idle, blown seals on boom,tapping, go for around 10k,(plus 10% buyers fee, so thats 11k) , A lot of times the foolish overlook whats wrong. but the ones worth a lick go for around 16-22k and get checked out by the dealer who bought them, and resold for 30-35k. If you go to an auction and plan on buying a large piece of equipment BRING A MECHANIC who knows his stuff in hyrdo and HD trucks. I bring two mechanics with me to all auctions. One who is a full time employee who does my fleet maintenance the other is the guy at the hydro shop. Costs me about $500 to visit an auctiion even if I dont buy anything, but so worth it!

these are the facts in my area. other areas are different but not far off cause dealers travel which drives the price up. been going to auctions for over 10yrs. Never bought a bucket truck from there but have bought other pieces of equipment such as excavators, loaders, a crane, attachments and a few dump trucks. and always watch what the tree gear goes for. If a bucket a year or so old with low hours/miles Id be there bidding on it.

A guy that rode with me to that auction bought one of those '96 model trucks that sold for under 9K and drove it back to Texas. Believe it or not it was actually a pretty good old truck. Body was rough and cab inside was all to pieces but it ran down the road OK and the boom was alright except a few drips and seeps. I have been going to auctions for 25 years and you never know what stuff will bring. I have bought equipment for resale thinking I had hit a home run and then couldn't give it away. I bought a 630B Vermeer with under 200 hours on it at a telcom co. auction once so cheap it would scare you.

Latest posts

Back