Looking for good advise on buying a bucket...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bucket has a 454 and an 11 foot chip box. Motor runs strong. With my 5,000 lb chipper on the back and a full load of chips its a total dog. It will go up any hill though. But you might have to go up in 2nd gear and 15 mph. Don't expect too much out of it. Empty it is a little better. But I usually don't use it to haul much. Mostly the F-450 gets loaded and hauls the chipper. The bucket holds tools and does the work. It's nice to have the ability to chip into it if needed though. Good luck..... Mike

My bucket has a 454 and an 11 foot chip box. Motor runs strong. With my 5,000 lb chipper on the back and a full load of chips its a total dog. It will go up any hill though. But you might have to go up in 2nd gear and 15 mph. Don't expect too much out of it. Empty it is a little better. But I usually don't use it to haul much. Mostly the F-450 gets loaded and hauls the chipper. The bucket holds tools and does the work. It's nice to have the ability to chip into it if needed though. Good luck..... Mike

Thanks Mike that has been the most helpful post so far.

I bought a 96 GMC c7500 TOPKICK with 54k miles , cat diesel , chipper box , Hi Ranger in perfect shape off a repo lot for 14k!!!!!!!

that 366cid engine will pull the load just fine as for the idling thing, there's no need, that's what that kubota engine is for, to run the hydraulics.

that 366cid engine will pull the load just fine as for the idling thing, there's no need, that's what that kubota engine is for, to run the hydraulics.

I have a 5000 pound chipper and usually a full load at the end of the day. My V10 f350 super duty barely gets it up some of the hills around here!

I hope you are right Rf, and what would you pay for a similar truck?

Thanks

I have a 5000 pound chipper and usually a full load at the end of the day. My V10 f350 super duty barely gets it up some of the hills around here!

I hope you are right Rf, and what would you pay for a similar truck?

Thanks
well that depends on the grade of the hills you'll be climbing and how well you operate the gears, some hills will kill most trucks as for what I'd pay, sense I'm not in the market for one I can say.

Get a diesel , so you'll have A/C in the summer that will run all night while you sleep in the truck while working the HURRICANES!

Get a diesel , so you'll have A/C in the summer that will run all night while you sleep in the truck while working the HURRICANES!

If we get any hurricanes up here I better be able to afford the diesel and a nice hotel room!!

Obviously , you've never been to a hurricane , no electricity = no hotel.

never, ha ha! :cry:

Only ice storms and 'microbursts' (mini tornado) up here...most of the nicer hotels had back up generators in '98 too!

Latest posts

Back