Looking for Ideas on the best chain for cutting stumps out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I really believe that everyone it way over thinking the magnitude of this job. I went and counted what was out there. Out of the 20 acres there is 9 small evergreen trees that have trunks under 6", 2 that have trunks from 6-10" and nothing over that. The rest is just scrub brush from 1/2" to 3-4", there is maybe 15-20 of those. I looked at that brush grubber thing and that may be the ticket to most everything other than the 2 bigger ones. For those maybe I will just send the neighbors hired man out there with a pick axe and shovel for a few hours give him $100 and a case of beer. I couldn't find anyone to come in with a dozer to to do 2 stumps, if so they would charge me more to unload and load than it would be to do the job

Well I really believe that everyone it way over thinking the magnitude of this job. I went and counted what was out there. Out of the 20 acres there is 9 small evergreen trees that have trunks under 6", 2 that have trunks from 6-10" and nothing over that. The rest is just scrub brush from 1/2" to 3-4", there is maybe 15-20 of those. I looked at that brush grubber thing and that may be the ticket to most everything other than the 2 bigger ones. For those maybe I will just send the neighbors hired man out there with a pick axe and shovel for a few hours give him $100 and a case of beer. I couldn't find anyone to come in with a dozer to to do 2 stumps, if so they would charge me more to unload and load than it would be to do the job

OIC, well then grub away, if that is all it is. Basically you have 20 acres with virtually nothing on it, where as, I took it as you have 20 acres that was overgrown for 10 years, I know what that looks like, and you will want a dozer for that usually, Maples and other such weedy trees will get quite large in 10 years.

Stihll wouldn't take a saw out there, equipment/tractor with a bucket would get most of that out in one piece. The rent a skid loader would be a good idea, or tell the farm to do it himself ............. he has something that will work.

Have fun,

Sam

Just cut a large pine stump out of my yard that a local guy wanted $400 to pull out. (just the stump). It took 2 loops of LGX chain that went dull very fast, but it did the job. I just cut it into small chunks that my quad could pull out to my fire pit.

I would tell him to go do it but he confronted me saying that if i cleared the trees off he would give me $200 per acre rent. I didn't think it would be that hard of a job just looking for ideas. I think the grubber will do the trick, and it may be nice to just have around afterwards.

Holy crap $200 per acre, if he wants it that bad, he'll do it and give you the $200 per acre.

What will be days of mindless and useless toil would be a few minutes with a big loader tractor or good skid loader.

My opinion,

Sam

well i could get a skid steer and I have a medium size loader tractor (IH 856) so I don't think it should be too bad

well i could get a skid steer and I have a medium size loader tractor (IH 856) so I don't think it should be too bad

Get a toothed bucket if you can, they are much better at "grabbing" the trunk and lifting and pushing the trees out of the dirt. I honestly wouldn't even take a saw out there, as that is more of a heavy equipment job, not a chainsaw job.

Hint: You need the BTU's from the trunk and branches to burn the stump and root balls, and try to make your fire pit off to the side somewhere so you can push what doesn't burn out of the farmers way.

My opinion,

Sam

What the heck is he growing?????

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thats what I'm thinking.

Around here normal is $100-120 per acre. One wisea$$ paid a landowner $400 just to get one big field away from another rent farmer, but we don't see how he's going to make any money, it was a pride thing.

I'd tell the farmer $200 and he cleans up the field, however good he wants it cleaned.

Sam

I know the answer to that one...

...that would be the chain that is installed on the saw you borrow from your least favorite neighbor and/or brother in law...

I use my evry day chains. I just take the extra time to chip off bark, and check for nails rock etc. I look them over real good. If I found a real shiaty one I would use an old chain. Don't really have bad chain's, because I keep em sharp, out of dirt, and don't cut dirty stuff. I do take extra time to clean the wood before I cut it. If we do a job with dirty stuff, or hit nail's or rock in the wood, the customer buy's us a new chain, cut, and dry. I alway's inpect stuff first, and point out what I find to who we are doing the job for. Rarely do they have to buy chain, but nobody has ever had a problem doing it.

Dozer fitted with a tree spear and rake and rippers on the rear for the stubborn ones,why beat yourself for nothing,Dozer you won't regret it

I have heard that C4 is quite effective...

But yeah, a larger pitch chain with semi chisel should stay sharper longer

Back