Looking for Japanese made chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echos are made in the USA, its just that the powerheads are made in Japan and the company is owned by the Japanese.
Japan isnt the reason our economy is so messed up, Japanese companies actually do a lot of manufacturing in the U.S. because they like to invest in countries where they sell their products.
You can blame countries like China, Korea and India for the mess we are currently in.
As far as owning Japanese products, Im with ya on that one. Ive got a Honda trimmer (nice but its heavy), Honda walkbehind mower and an Echo leafblower. Im very happy with all of them. I will most likely have a Kubota lawn tractor when its time to replace my Craftsman, when something happens to my Stihl 021 I will most likely replace it with a 35cc-40cc Echo chainsaw and when something happens to my Craftsman snowblower it will be replaced by a Honda. Honda stuff is expensive, but IMO its money well-spent.
IMO, the level of craftsmanship is just so much better with Japanese stuff. Mostly that has to do with the cultural values of the Japanese, in that when they build something, they take a lot of pride in building a quality product and in making it right the first time. If something is bad, not only does it bring shame upon the people who made that product, it also brings shame upon their whole family; so the Japanese are pretty good about building it right the first time and making the best possible product.
Thats not to say that Japanese stuff is perfect, but its usually pretty darned good.

and you drive a Ford F-150?:confused: :confused:

IMO, the level of craftsmanship is just so much better with Japanese stuff. Mostly that has to do with the cultural values of the Japanese, in that when they build something, they take a lot of pride in building a quality product and in making it right the first time. If something is bad, not only does it bring shame upon the people who made that product, it also brings shame upon their whole family; so the Japanese are pretty good about building it right the first time and making the best possible product.
Thats not to say that Japanese stuff is perfect, but its usually pretty darned good.

That all sounds good, but it is only telling a small part of the story. Japanese companies don't have to invest in the development of raw technology and new ideas. The USA and Western Europe develop new ideas and Japan takes the new technology and develops and packages it for market...including most innovations in new cars. Do you think Japan invented cruise control and intermittent wipers? And with infusions of cash into their most important industries (automobiles and electronics) from a national government that needs not invest in national defense...well they've got a pretty good gig. So Japan, sell us all those cars. Ruin Detroit. Get rich. And we'll protect your borders while you're fleecing us. Same for you Saudi Arabia!

Why'd you guys have to get me started???

truth as i have learned it

every industrial country has a knack at something or another. and in todays society there is bound to a blend or not. all i know is that the husky 33 i own is a product of the bad blend of crap now days, thank god for my homelite super ez ao and mcculluch pro 10-10 automatic. they are juggernaughts, no matter the company. i will fix it, it is my solem duty even as an auto mechanic who loves saws( i am trying to convert i swear)lol to say run what you love or what you can run. its just nice to cut wood and burn it or to make something look nice.:givebeer: god bless

i am a younger guy and me and my friends always fight this subject. i like things made by american workers yes honda has a huge plant in ohio. they do make a nice bike always liked yamadogs tho. keep your riceburner cars im a ford guy when it comes to trucks 78+79 ford pickups daily driver+ my pride and joy. 79 gets the everyday job and 78 is a frame off work in progress 7 inches of lift yada yada. i dont like the newer trucks show me one of them that will take that kinda beatin for 30yrs and fire up every time. the only husky ive ever owned was a blue eyed female and she was sweet. my saws are orange and white. my tools say snap-on, mac,matco,klein. go fast comes by the way of a 69 camaro (327 hi-po) no honda here. i guess what im gettin at is everyone sees american made stuff as sub par nowadays. buy the best f##k the rest. spend the cash and buy one and keep track of it, take care of it and one day hand it to your kid. our culture is full of throwaway junk. people dont reconize quality they see a price tag and thats all. there is a briggs motor on our splitter and i like it just fine. germans do make nice stuff too, some jap stuff is nice as well. when you buy a knife do you buy american or elcheapo? everyone has there own opinion but i will pass on buyin something made overseas and go wihout until i get the loot to buy a american product. you cant even buy our flag without it sayin made in china WTF!!! wether you see our flag as stars and bars or stars and stripes or both yes i said both they all sya china. sorry had to vent alittle think i was born too late? BTW my husky passed 2 winters ago but has since been replaced with Cash a APBT. named after mr CASH the on that said you can kiss my A$$.

and you drive a Ford F-150?:confused: :confused:
When I bought the F-150, I was actually more in the market for a Toyota Tundra. I managed to get the F-150 for about $3,000 less than what a Tundra would have cost me, so I jumped on it.
I would have much preferred an Tundra, but F-150s are inexpensive to buy and parts and cheap and readily available, not to mention that F-150s are pretty good trucks.
Ive owned a few Toyotas in my day and they are amazing vehicles, but lets face it, you pay more for the quality/dependability reputation of the Toyota name.

That all sounds good, but it is only telling a small part of the story. Japanese companies don't have to invest in the development of raw technology and new ideas. The USA and Western Europe develop new ideas and Japan takes the new technology and develops and packages it for market...including most innovations in new cars. Do you think Japan invented cruise control and intermittent wipers? And with infusions of cash into their most important industries (automobiles and electronics) from a national government that needs not invest in national defense...well they've got a pretty good gig. So Japan, sell us all those cars. Ruin Detroit. Get rich. And we'll protect your borders while you're fleecing us. Same for you Saudi Arabia!

Why'd you guys have to get me started???
Detroit ruined themselves. The problems that the American automakers currently are having are of their own making.
In terms of all the new technology, yes, a lot of them were started by American automakers, but also in a lot of cases the domestics tried it, couldnt make it work, gave up on it and the Japanese stepped up, make those ideas work and ran with them.
One example that comes to mind is variable valve timing. GM was first with it, but they couldnt get it to work right and gave up on it. Honda managed to perfect it in the mid '90s and only recently have Ford and GM started putting it on their vehicles.
As far as your comment about Japan, "fleecing" us goes, I disagree. I know for a fact that Toyota invests a lot of money in America. They have several plants here and do a lot of business with North American parts suppliers, not to mention they have several R&D centers in America. Also, every time there is a big natural disaster in America, Toyota is one of the first to help out by doanating money and vehicles to the recovery effort. They may not donate the most, but they do what they can to help out.
So, lets not act like Japanese companies are trying to bleede America dry, while investing nothing in this country, m'kay? :) One simple fact to look at is that over the past 10 years, Japanese automakers have been increasing their manufacturing in America, whereas the "domestic" automakers have been shutting down more and more plants in America building plants in other countries, not to mention they are using fewer and fewer "made in USA" parts every year. Its gotten to the point where a Toyota or Honda is in some cases more American than a Ford, GM or Chrysler.

Detroit ruined themselves. The problems that the American automakers currently are having are of their own making.
In terms of all the new technology, yes, a lot of them were started by American automakers, but also in a lot of cases the domestics tried it, couldnt make it work, gave up on it and the Japanese stepped up, make those ideas work and ran with them.
One example that comes to mind is variable valve timing. GM was first with it, but they couldnt get it to work right and gave up on it. Honda managed to perfect it in the mid '90s and only recently have Ford and GM started putting it on their vehicles.
As far as your comment about Japan, "fleecing" us goes, I disagree. I know for a fact that Toyota invests a lot of money in America. They have several plants here and do a lot of business with North American parts suppliers, not to mention they have several R&D centers in America. Also, every time there is a big natural disaster in America, Toyota is one of the first to help out by doanating money and vehicles to the recovery effort. They may not donate the most, but they do what they can to help out.
So, lets not act like Japanese companies are trying to bleede America dry, while investing nothing in this country, m'kay? :) One simple fact to look at is that over the past 10 years, Japanese automakers have been increasing their manufacturing in America, whereas the "domestic" automakers have been shutting down more and more plants in America building plants in other countries, not to mention they are using fewer and fewer "made in USA" parts every year. Its gotten to the point where a Toyota or Honda is in some cases more American than a Ford, GM or Chrysler.

No doubt the "Big Three" have been doing their best to drive themselves over a cliff. And I have no doubt that American cars are better today precisely because of Japanese competition. But sir, you're drinking a little too much saki if you think that Toyota is building plants here because they want to group hug with their "friends", the Americans. What Kentucky or Mississippi legislator isn't going to squelch fair trade accusations against the Japanese government when Toyota is providing jobs for their constituents? I'm sure there are parts suppliers who benefit as well, but Toyota spends about $800 per car on labor on a $30K car. Who's REALLY making the money? The Japanese recognize that industry and manufacturing capacity gave this country its might. It became our greatest weapon. We seem to have forgotten that lesson.

No doubt the "Big Three" have been doing their best to drive themselves over a cliff. And I have no doubt that American cars are better today precisely because of Japanese competition. But sir, you're drinking a little too much saki if you think that Toyota is building plants here because they want to group hug with their "friends", the Americans. What Kentucky or Mississippi legislator isn't going to squelch fair trade accusations against the Japanese government when Toyota is providing jobs for their constituents? I'm sure there are parts suppliers who benefit as well, but Toyota spends about $800 per car on labor on a $30K car. Who's REALLY making the money? The Japanese recognize that industry and manufacturing capacity gave this country its might. It became our greatest weapon. We seem to have forgotten that lesson.

litefoot: If you have your own personal problem accepting the Japanese, then leave it at that. Welcome to 2008.

litefoot: If you have your own personal problem accepting the Japanese, then leave it at that. Welcome to 2008.

No problem at all. I'm talking governments and business practices. I got a little worked up...and OT. But yes, Shindaiwa makes an extremely durable saw and their fishing reels and bicycle components ain't bad either.:)

Well, first of all, its not, "saki", its, "sake".
Secondly, you talk about the local governments giving Toyota reasons to build plants in their states. As if the same hasnt been done for the domestics? All of the states offer incentives for automakers to build plants in their states. Your, "fair trade" theory would hold up if the Japanese still built all of their vehicles outside of the United States, but the fact is that nowdays, the vast majority of Toyotas that are sold in the U.S. are assembled in the U.S. from U.S. made components.
By your logic, we should all be using Poulans because by buying a Stihl or Husky we are sending American dollars to Germany and Sweden.
Buy what you want and hate Japan all you want, it doesnt matter to me. Its time to stop fighting WW2. It ended over 50 years ago.

i am a younger guy and me and my friends always fight this subject. i like things made by american workers yes honda has a huge plant in ohio. they do make a nice bike always liked yamadogs tho. keep your riceburner cars im a ford guy when it comes to trucks 78+79 ford pickups daily driver+ my pride and joy. 79 gets the everyday job and 78 is a frame off work in progress 7 inches of lift yada yada. i dont like the newer trucks show me one of them that will take that kinda beatin for 30yrs and fire up every time. the only husky ive ever owned was a blue eyed female and she was sweet. my saws are orange and white. my tools say snap-on, mac,matco,klein. go fast comes by the way of a 69 camaro (327 hi-po) no honda here. i guess what im gettin at is everyone sees american made stuff as sub par nowadays. buy the best f##k the rest. spend the cash and buy one and keep track of it, take care of it and one day hand it to your kid. our culture is full of throwaway junk. people dont reconize quality they see a price tag and thats all. there is a briggs motor on our splitter and i like it just fine. germans do make nice stuff too, some jap stuff is nice as well. when you buy a knife do you buy american or elcheapo? everyone has there own opinion but i will pass on buyin something made overseas and go wihout until i get the loot to buy a american product. you cant even buy our flag without it sayin made in china WTF!!! wether you see our flag as stars and bars or stars and stripes or both yes i said both they all sya china. sorry had to vent alittle think i was born too late? BTW my husky passed 2 winters ago but has since been replaced with Cash a APBT. named after mr CASH the on that said you can kiss my A$$.

Whoop-Tee- Do :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back