Looking for new pads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had it with my L pads. I have tried everything to make them more comfy. It works great for a while then they start to hurt again. I was up last weekend and my left spur shifted around and started digging into my shin and put my knee in such a bind i thought it was gonna break it. So i gotta find something new. Any suggestions? I have been looking on wesspur at cushion wraps.

Everybody seems to brag up those solid aluminun "cadillac pads". I was thinking of getting some cause I roll on the L-pads currently too. Pretty spendy though at $72 a pair.

I just ordered some Klein's with the superclimber pads (more surface area than the velcro ones) so I'll let you know how they feel after a test run nails... My boss has the aluminum ones and he says they're the way to go but have yet to try em' myself. If I had a little more $$ I probably woulda sprung for them though.

Everybody seems to brag up those solid aluminun "cadillac pads". I was thinking of getting some cause I roll on the L-pads currently too. Pretty spendy though at $72 a pair.

72$ a pair dont really seem that bad to long as they work. can you purchase them at wesspur

caddie pads

The cast aluminum "cadillac" pads are awesome. I had the leather L pads and they dug into my shins something fierce. I got the aluminum ones from wesspur, no regrets. I have also heard good things about the leather super climbers but have not tried them.

worth every dollar of it bud. especially at that price. the non steel are alright.
i'm in the steel inserts wraps as we speak. i got no beef with them. heavy? sure, but its a sturdy set up indeed.

that said i am onto the newer komet spikes. spendy? yup. but i am going to be in em for a whole lot more this season. the way i see it is if i am going to be making money with them they will pay for themselves. just a quick hit on the wallet. next side jammie will pay for em.

I have had it with my L pads. I have tried everything to make them more comfy. It works great for a while then they start to hurt again. I was up last weekend and my left spur shifted around and started digging into my shin and put my knee in such a bind i thought it was gonna break it. So i gotta find something new. Any suggestions? I have been looking on wesspur at cushion wraps.

quick fix would be going and getting some soccer shin pads. go to the local sports store with a one of your spikes to find the right fit. might help you out for the moment.

I have always liked the EUC pads or Super pads, they use two straps 1 at the top of each pad and 1 at the bottom of each pad. they will wrap around most of the Leg, most of an inck thick. I had always liked the 2 straps you get them tight and they stay in place. Weaver leather makes them but you can find them from most supplers. I just grabed the karl kuemmerling cat. they list for $58.55. I have found them for less$. $42,45 + they extra straps

I just ordered some Klein's with the superclimber pads (more surface area than the velcro ones) so I'll let you know how they feel after a test run nails... My boss has the aluminum ones and he says they're the way to go but have yet to try em' myself. If I had a little more $$ I probably woulda sprung for them though.

I am sure you spent it all on beer. lol My old man runs the velcro pads on steel kliens I believe, they seem big to me. I tried them on and they fell off, his calf muscles are huge though. He's 5'10 240 lbs and runs 5 miles a day at 55 years old, so that should tell you something.

I have run the leather pads with 2 straps. They were comfortable, but I felt too bulky and time consuming to put on. I still just use the simple, light L-pad. Will wear the hair right off your legs! When I am through with this rope climbing kick, I will get serious and probably buy the Cadillacs. lol

Last edited:
quick fix would be going and getting some soccer shin pads. go to the local sports store with a one of your spikes to find the right fit. might help you out for the moment.

tried that and they didnt dig as bad but still shift around too much cause way too much pressure on my knees. guess im gonna go with some cadis or cusion wraps. i dont climb a whole lot but i darn sure wanna be as confortable as possible when doing so

one more question. will the caddi pads work with my buckingham spurs? If so im gonna order them right now. and is that 72$ for the set?

Pain Sucks

Buy the aluminum supports and you will never look back . To me , any time spent in pain and discomfort in not worth the money saved . Same as buying cheap tools , when you need them they will let you down and you'll curse for having bought them in the first place .

Can you imagine those early tree climbing sob's and how tough they were ? They didn't have all the choices available now and must have just gritted their teeth and carried on . Probably resulted in alot of early retirements and gimpy legs .

I find that pain inhibits my ability to concentrate and that is not a good thing when every move you make is critical to your well-being .

thanks for the info everyone im gonna go order them right now. i refuse to climb in the pads i have now. and i agree about the cheap tools. im a tech for ford and know all about buying cheap junk i refuse to do so. when i bought these spurs i was told that i would do just fine in the L or T pads. ill be having a few words with the fella that told me that ha ha

Maintain

Another good thing about the aluminum is with a little contact cement and high density foam you can replace and or enhance the padding . No need to visit your local leathersmith for these items .

Another good thing about the aluminum is with a little contact cement and high density foam you can replace and or enhance the padding . No need to visit your local leathersmith for these items .

Is there any need to enhance the padding??

No Need

From factory they have 3/4 " high density foam . You will not need to enhance it . I have one of mine in my hands now and it's all you can do to sink your thumb into it . It is advantagous to have the option of replacing the foam yourself .

From factory they have 3/4 " high density foam . You will not need to enhance it . I have one of mine in my hands now and it's all you can do to sink your thumb into it . It is advantagous to have the option of replacing the foam yourself .

Thanks again and check your PMs

Latest posts

Back