Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but I completely disagree, depending on the amount of lean it is entirely possible. Most people on here are tree cutters, not sketch artists or engineers
That excuse for not being able to draw it is worn out, I can't think of any falling cuts or methods that can't be drawn simply or understood as simply. It's a recognised teaching tool used in logging & every other industry, sometimes scratched on the ground in the dirt with a stick .
Step up to the plate & draw it then.
Tanks

Gravity is not defied, it is used and makes it possible.

One would need to draw multiple sketches as trying to cram everything that happens into one sketch would be utterly confusing and futile. I don't have the time to draw and scan in a bunch of diagrams because you are too much of a chicken **** to try it yourself. It's minds like yours that have held the world back. You just can't grasp what you don't understand. What makes you so special that you need your hand held from beginning to end? I learned how to do it from one video that doesnt even show it that well. I experimented. That's how theory is put to the test. Experimentation. Without it ideas are just floating on the breeze.

Gravity is not defied, it is used and makes it possible.

One would need to draw multiple sketches as trying to cram everything that happens into one sketch would be utterly confusing and futile. I don't have the time to draw and scan in a bunch of diagrams because you are too much of a chicken **** to try it yourself. It's minds like yours that have held the world back. You just can't grasp what you don't understand. What makes you so special that you need your hand held from beginning to end? I learned how to do it from one video that doesnt even show it that well. I experimented. That's how theory is put to the test. Experimentation. Without it ideas are just floating on the breeze.
more excuses, at least the dog ate it, or I left it at home hasn't come out yet
thansk

I'll try. I know nothing of the soft dutchman, bar what has been stated in this thread and attached videos. However, due to Bwildered's persistence, i think i have a pretty good idea of what happens, due to the great explanations everyone has given.

Bitzer, Northman, Skeans, etc - please correct me if i have the wrong idea.

Edit: Is quite hard to show the movement in a 2d drawing. Near impossible. A little imagination will be needed, plus viewing the videos and explanations in this thread.

Attachments

• Soft Dutchman.pdf
    776.1 KB · Views: 61
I'll try. I know nothing of the soft dutchman, bar what has been stated in this thread and attached videos. However, due to Bwildered's persistence, i think i have a pretty good idea of what happens, due to the great explanations everyone has given.

Bitzer, Northman, Skeans, etc - please correct me if i have the wrong idea.

Edit: Is quite hard to show the movement in a 2d drawing. Near impossible. A little imagination will be needed, plus viewing the videos and explanations in this thread.
The drawing is near enough to be good enough, if you number the drawings L to R going down the page, when you get to # 10 the saw would pinch before getting anywhere near completing that cut, the only way that cut could be made is if the lean was going to the west, then it would pinch once the cuts overlapped as it does in all the videos.
Thansk

Or you palmed a wedge to keep the kerf from closing until you were finished with that cut.....

But what do I know.

If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can find a reason not to get out of bed in the morning too.

If you watch huskstihl's video, the saw does pinch. No one said it won't. The video at the start of this thread shows them inserting a wedge to prevent this as hsell says. The wedge isn't palmed very tight, and it doesn't need much movement to start it going.

Or you palmed a wedge to keep the kerf from closing until you were finished with that cut.....

But what do I know.

If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can find a reason not to get out of bed in the morning too.
In that case the tree would fall to the north east, perpendicular from what's left of the hinge to the point where the wedge is inserted. That would be about 45' from the lean to the north.
Thansk

If you watch huskstihl's video, the saw does pinch. No one said it won't. The video at the start of this thread shows them inserting a wedge to prevent this as hsell says. The wedge isn't palmed very tight, and it doesn't need much movement to start it going.
You can't see any wedge in the first video, in that chaps other videos he had an axe or a wedge loosely resting in the cut as an indicator of which way the tree was going, if it had sat down on it he would have stopped cutting & driven the wedge in to get it to fall in the intended direction, if there was still any hinge left on the far side from him.
Tranks

In that case the tree would fall to the north east, perpendicular from what's left of the hinge to the point where the wedge is inserted.
Thansk

I didn't say wedge it over, I said palm a wedge: stick it in the kerf to keep it from pinching your bar.

You can't see any wedge in the first video, in that chaps other videos he had an axe or a wedge loosely resting in the cut as an indicator of which way the tree was going, if it had sat down on it he would have stopped cutting & driven the wedge in to get it to fall in the intended direction, if there was still any hinge left on the far side from him.
Tranks

So what's the problem?

I didn't say wedge it over, I said palm a wedge: stick it in the kerf to keep it from pinching your bar.
Neither did I , if you were mad enough to keep cutting the hinge off from the low side with a wedge holding the kerf open, when the opposite side hinge was gone the tree would come over the top of you!
Tranks

Neither did I , if you were mad enough to keep cutting the hinge off from the low side with a wedge holding the kerf open, when the opposite side hinge was gone the tree would come over the top of you!
Tranks

Do You Promise?

Id hold the camera if you were mad enough to do it!
Stanks

Please show me with a diagram.

I don't Understand.

That's not how it works here.

I've not done it that way.

Again, please share a diagram.

image.png
Please show me with a diagram.

I don't Understand.

That's not how it works here.

I've not done it that way.

Again, please share a diagram.
Now imagine you cutting the hinge away from the right hand side of the E, once it sits on your wedge then all the hinge is totally in tension, keep on cutting until the hinge is gone on the west side there is nothing to stop the tree falling over the top of you, if your mad enough to do something like that I'd be game enough to video it, I'd even give you a cardboard box to put the pieces of the smashed saw into as well.
Thanski

View attachment 513543
Now imagine you cutting the hinge away from the right hand side of the E, once it sits on your wedge then all the hinge is totally in tension, keep on cutting until the hinge is gone on the west side there is nothing to stop the tree falling over the top of you, if your mad enough to do something like that I'd be game enough to video it, I'd even give you a cardboard box to put the pieces of the smashed saw into as well.
Thanski

Ain't nobody said nothing bout cutting all the hinge wood.

b7cde2eb32ca4d39447f12ba00e5fa39.jpg

Latest posts

Back