Looking for Soft Dutchman against the Lean Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol..
"well I'll tell ya I'll tell ya boy, I ain't no chicken boy.
see that there in there boy? Now that.. now that there's a chicken boy. Your all confused boy. now I say I say pull your self together boy..I say pull your self together boy...now let's go get that chicken boy!

Theres no way it could come back at you. At best it would fall over the back like Hsell said. You've undercut it with the kerfs and it has leaned out away from you. I've said it before and I'll say it again. At best you have a remedial knowledge of cutting timber. You're assuming things you have no experience with or have never attempted.
Outside fantasy world, trees fall towards the lean (N), the (S) part of the hinge is in tension across the stump, cutting from the (N) is cutting the compression wood & increasing the tension on the remaining hinge, the tree can't fall to the (W) because there is absolutely no compression there unless you're fantastically high on the 32:1 cloud of oil fumes you're breathing in, then anything is possible!
Thanski

Outside fantasy world, trees fall towards the lean (N), the (S) part of the hinge is in tension across the stump, cutting from the (N) is cutting the compression wood & increasing the tension on the remaining hinge, the tree can't fall to the (W) because there is absolutely no compression there unless you're fantastically high on the 32:1 cloud of oil fumes you're breathing in, then anything is possible!
Thanski

7af3b20713ba01859d49600e45569fcf.jpg

Go On..

3028f454c81add4da0eec098f86e2353.jpg

Neither did I, but once it was gone on the far side & released the tension wood where the overlapping cuts were made, you'd have to run away as it fell towards you, pivoting around the remaining part of the hinge left on the east side. Your saw would be jammed & would have to left behind & more than likely smashed into the dirt.
Fankski

All I can say is if you are standing under the lean of a tree when you nip the holding wood... You ain't no experienced faller.

The science of gravity does not trump an experienced faller. A faller knows more about gravity than Newton did, because they work with it every day and know how to take it to the ragged edge.:D

Stop living out of theory, if we wanted to live life out of theory we would all go back to college and listen to teniered professors instead of living in the real world of experience

All I can say is if you are standing under the lean of a tree when you nip the holding wood... You ain't no experienced faller.

The science of gravity does not trump an experienced faller. A faller knows more about gravity than Newton did, because they work with it every day and know how to take it to the ragged edge.:D

Stop living out of theory, if we wanted to live life out of theory we would all go back to college and listen to teniered professors instead of living in the real world of experience
Now you're starting put it all together , nobody in their right mind would cut a tree leaning with the COG to the (N) that way with those cuts, if it was leaning & COG to the (W) of course you could as shown in the videos, which results in a 90' fall to the lean.
I own over 15,000 tonnes of standing timber which I can throw a rock & hit some of it off my verandah, of many types & species, it would take all of 2 minutes to find a leaning tree for someone show how they could smash a saw up in vain, I have a theodolite or plumb bob to verify the lean plus a camera to capture it all as well. Bring your own saw, little wooden cross & shovel, if you're quick you'll only have cover the saw a little with the shovel & plant the cross on it, if you're not quick enough there maybe a bigger hole needed to be dug!
Fanski

Now you're starting put it all together

Um... I was not agreeing with you but rather stating that you are not qualified to talk to us who have done it.

BTW, you talk about proof in videos that is not there with plum and all that...
In the very first video of this thread, if you can't see the lean of that tree you must not have much experience falling timber. Its not a tricky read.

You just have something in your mind that for whatever reason, you can't let go of that is keeping you from seeing reality, you need to let it go.

In bwildered's defense,
in the very first video of this thread, if you can't see the lean of that tree
Or, if you cannot see that there is very LITTLE lean to that tree, you have not bothered to look at the background that indicates the CAMERA is what has the most 'lean' ? Either that, or every tree near that location has an identical lean.

Actually I see it very distinctly.
Especially compared to the two just to the right.
Belly lean is definitely toward the lowest small tree out in the lead opening where the brush is.
Then you add canopy weight, to me it is not just a "very LITTLE" lean but a very evident lean.
watch again when he shows where he will fall it and then pans back to the tree from further away. Camera is not tilted, and the lean is very evident.
Then again I am used to looking at fir and tree lean, which was my point in my post. not saying that i'm something special but someone that has put enough wood on the ground should be able to spot lean fairly well without a plumb.

He's the one that wanted to turn this into some scientific experiment at our expense. So if thats the case he can set up the control and variables and test it himself in his lab and write his documented exact findings on his dime not mine. I already know it works.

Now you're starting put it all together , nobody in their right mind would cut a tree leaning with the COG to the (N) that way with those cuts, if it was leaning & COG to the (W) of course you could as shown in the videos, which results in a 90' fall to the lean.
I own over 15,000 tonnes of standing timber which I can throw a rock & hit some of it off my verandah, of many types & species, it would take all of 2 minutes to find a leaning tree for someone show how they could smash a saw up in vain, I have a theodolite or plumb bob to verify the lean plus a camera to capture it all as well. Bring your own saw, little wooden cross & shovel, if you're quick you'll only have cover the saw a little with the shovel & plant the cross on it, if you're not quick enough there maybe a bigger hole needed to be dug!
Fanski
so about 350 loads of logs dependind on spiecies, at 15 loads to the acre about 25 acres... or in laymens terms anout 6 weeks of work for a full logging crew.
. in other words yer just a small fry home owner that read some books on cuttin fyrewood and miiling a few boards now and then. A far cry from a proffessional cutter and someone that needs to learn to listen instaed of relying on your questionable experience and biased opionions.

Many experienced proffessional cutters have chimed in here and told you in many diffeent ways it can be done and how. Its time you either try it or shut the **** up.

Screenshot_2015-07-28-10-10-44.png

The faller wouldn't be standing under the side with the extra cuts made in the face undercut, nobody wants to stand where they're wanting to tree to start leaning toward in this case. Yes the tree can or may pinch the bar but only for a second as COG is changing because as it now leans west (using the diagrams posted earlier) away from the faller, the butt compresses the extra cuts and rolls down the undercut causing the top to swing around gaining momentum allowing more degrees of fall from 90* of the lean. No saws will be smashed in this process as it's slow to progress and the faller slowly releases more holding wood till eventually only a post is left holding on the east side of the stump where the faller is standing for the back cut. Said post is what pulls the top around in the swing and gains enough momentum that the remaining fibers shear and the tree can jump off the stump several feet away as shown in one of the first videos posted titled soft Dutchman and ultra soft Dutchman. You've asked, many many people have politly responded more than once and proven possible with explaination, video, and diagram and you still don't wanna see that it can be done. So just keep on takin em with the lean or 90* to it and we'll keep on swingin em the rest the way. Can't be explained any better than it already has

image.png image.png image.png
Actually I see it very distinctly.
Especially compared to the two just to the right.
Belly lean is definitely toward the lowest small tree out in the lead opening where the brush is.
Then you add canopy weight, to me it is not just a "very LITTLE" lean but a very evident lean.
watch again when he shows where he will fall it and then pans back to the tree from further away. Camera is not tilted, and the lean is very evident.
Then again I am used to looking at fir and tree lean, which was my point in my post. not saying that i'm something special but someone that has put enough wood on the ground should be able to spot lean fairly well without a plumb.

He's the one that wanted to turn this into some scientific experiment at our expense. So if thats the case he can set up the control and variables and test it himself in his lab and write his documented exact findings on his dime not mine. I already know it works.
As there are no references to plumb nobody can tell which way the tree is leaning as shown by pic 1 , but that tree is weighted to the near side left with branches & the trunk does a dogleg bend out that way as well, which shifts the COG in that direction by cantilever weight, the second pic shows the direction of that weight to his saw, which is around 10' to 20' from where the saw tip is pointed, pic 3 clearly shows the branch weight & dogleg bend above the saw position as he panned up & down the tree from the same spot & there isn't nearly any weight on the other side of the tree on the opposite side of the saw.
Tranks

so about 350 loads of logs dependind on spiecies, at 15 loads to the acre about 25 acres... or in laymens terms anout 6 weeks of work for a full logging crew.
. in other words yer just a small fry home owner that read some books on cuttin fyrewood and miiling a few boards now and then. A far cry from a proffessional cutter and someone that needs to learn to listen instaed of relying on your questionable experience and biased opionions.

Many experienced proffessional cutters have chimed in here and told you in many diffeent ways it can be done and how. Its time you either try it or shut the **** up.
I wish it was only 25 acres then I wouldn't have to pay as much taxes, but any way I own that many & a lot more & only have to walk out the door to do it, which I do on a very regular basis to keep me going, which is a far cry from pushing out 3 loads a day every day to keep a mill going with a half dozen guys milling flat out. You're showing you know jack about me & gravity too!
Thansk

I'll go 600kg per m3. X 40 m3 per load =24000 kg. Round of to 25,000 kg per load = 25 metric tonne.
4 loads is 100 metric tonne
40 loads to 1000 Tonne x 15
= 600 loads 24,000 m3. That could be 20-25 man days falling per 1000 m3 here. I would assume Aussie wood is a bit heavier.
Northman likes metric, he told me... lol. Or you can go 35lb per cu ft
X 35 cu ft to = I cu metre (m3) 2.7 m3 = I cunit or 1200 mbf

View attachment 514023 View attachment 514016 View attachment 514015
As there are no references to plumb nobody can tell which way the tree is leaning as shown by pic 1 , but that tree is weighted to the near side left with branches & the trunk does a dogleg bend out that way as well, which shifts the COG in that direction by cantilever weight, the second pic shows the direction of that weight to his saw, which is around 10' to 20' from where the saw tip is pointed, pic 3 clearly shows the branch weight & dogleg bend above the saw position as he panned up & down the tree from the same spot & there isn't nearly any weight on the other side of the tree on the opposite side of the saw.
Tranks

Nope
try again
lean is about 60 degrees to the right of where that saw tip is pointing (approximately)

It would fall the direction you are saying because it is less than 90 from the lean, but thats not the lean, which is why he's taking it around past 90 to fall it in the lead and the whole point of his video.

IMO it is actually almost the perfect scenario for a swing.
It has a slight "bent" twards downhill so once it gets going toward the lean (top kerf) it settles on the second kerf real nice. Then the momentum of it swinging through downhill carried it perfectly past 90 and it fell right where he wanted it.

Thats what i see

These threads are kind of fun, because you know if the instigator had access to timber to cut he would have tried swinging a few by now. I don't saw for a living and would still try it if I had this much effort invested in an online argument. You can usually tell who the posers and trolls are.... good times boys.

Back