Looking to buy my fisrt gaffs ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdooms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys lookin for input again. Want to buy my first set of gaffs. Figure replaceable spike s is best and looked at buc pads and some others from sherrill. Any one know of anything better, not that i think these are not good enough but i just want the best quality safety and of course comfort i can get.! It seems to me its an average of $200 Per pair of gaffs alone Pads are up to $120 If its qaulity I dont mind spending the bucks but i dont want to get a year or two and have to replace them ..... Any one ???? Ed

There are a ton of posts about gaff preferences if you do a search. Seems that most of the guys like the expensive pads like Superwraps etc.whichever gaffs they use.

Want to buy my first set of gaffs. Figure replaceable spike s is best

I’m sure there is a difference of opinion on this one . Replaceable gaffs mean screws and holes that can wear out and make the gaff have a little slop in it. I may be wrong on this one, but some one gave me a pair like this and that was what wrong with them, they were aluminum spurs not steel ones. I promptly threw them out

If its qaulity I dont mind spending the bucks but i dont want to get a year or two and have to replace them ..... Any one ???? Ed [/B][/QUOTE

You must plan on doing a lot of climbing to think you’re going to wear out a set of spurs in one or two years. The pads will wear out before the spurs. Fixed gaff spurs can be sharpened to keep the point in good shape to get a good grip in the wood. They can also be sharpened to much to where it is difficult to remove them from the wood

Seeing as how you live in MD., I would wait 'till the TCI expo and try on several types/brands. Unless you just have to have 'em now, this would be your best bet.

Are Brooks climbers still being made? I think they are Brooks???

There is a pair somewhere in the shop and they have a freakin cotter(spelling?) pin holding the gaffs on. Talk about slop.

DO NOT plan on wearing your spurs out.:)

I notice a difference in width of the foot area on klein’s but need a bit longer shaft to fit properly. With a long gaff the POS L pads keep twisting forward making them extremely painful.

MP, Yes Brooks are still made. And surprisingly they do not feel sloppy. As MP says-they have a cotter pin holding the gaff BUT they also have a stirrup built into the gaff-the cotter pin is on the opposite side of your foot from the gaff and the shank is where the gaff actually loads as you set it. They do have slop but are very solid when you are standing on them.

i favour Aluminum Bashlins with the soft Superwraps Stumper mentions.

To my experience it has been easier to get a replaceble gaff jammed and unable to come out (in buddy's), and no slop in gaff. Used to wear them all of the time, still have same pair.

Lots lighter on feets than steel Kleins etc.

I have used B' hams and kleins. To me they feel about the same, with the same pads. The twisted shank of the buckinghams does help comfort wise though.

I think you just gotta get a pair and stick with them, and you'll be happy. Some guys are always switching looking for the perfect gaffs, I doubt they exist......but the grass is always greener........:p

new gaffs

thanks for the input fellows i do appreciate it Ps i was refering to thje pads wearing out not the gaffs but thanks again How do youall feel about the velcro ? Does stuff like saw dust get in there and mess them up?

The velcro will last a long time if you take care of your pads. Dust off the debris before you take off the pads. Then dust off the velcro and rewrap the pads. They'll last you years.

Tom

Especially if ya hardly ever wear'em.....

And, make sure ya get the ones that came out that laces through a metal flat eye and backwards over itself, to finish/fasten. Rather than ones that wrap just in one direction and fasten.

Butch,

The single wrap pads are the original version. Those are the ones that I have and they are still in great shape. New comers to the trade probably haven't been around long enough to remember the originals.

Tom

Spurs

I'd lost my spikes last year, hadn't really missed them for the next 6 months, then needed a set for a massive sycamore takedown. Borrowed a pair of Wolf Claws from a buddy and had an awful time with them. The spike, though adjustable up and down, did not allow for adjustment of the forward angle.

We redrilled holes and were able to get a better angle going forward, then they worked like a dream.

After that I went and bought the cheapest pair of Buckinghams (cuz I hardly ever use em anyway), and splurged on the comfy pads. If I don't lose em, I'll probably get ten years use out of them. -TM-

Latest posts

Back