Lookingfor a Good Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicohman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright believe it or not my wife told me today that I should look for a log splitter because she would be willing to help me cut firewood if she could lift the pieces. Man what a woman. She is willing to let me purchase a new item and wants to help me in the woods. I would like to hear some information about your experiences with log splitters good and bad. I know I want an upright one because I don't want to lift or hoist wood up to a horizontal bar. My Father has a Huskee that he purchased from a chain farm store. Has used it for quite a few years, with a just a few minor issues. Let me know what you all think.

Get a TW5 or TW6 with the log lift, you'll never regret it. Vertical splitter means alot of bending.

wood

ill 2nd woodguy i have a tw6 and love it .you need 3 guys to make it shine

Unless your splitting wood commercialy you don't need a tw6. I also agree that a verticle splitter kills your back. I have put about 5 cords through a friends husky 35 ton and he has put about 25 throu it and it's just over a year old and it's a POS. It's cheaply built. I personaly have a home made one home made one and it has done hundreds of cords in the past 18 years. Horizontal only is the way to go with the wedge stationary and just noodle the peices that are too big to lift up. Some good choices are the super split (I'm looking to get one next year), timberwolf makes a few smaller models the tw1 and the tw2, and American brand is also good. Stay away from anything MTD or husky or anything sold in a box store.

It seems almost impossible to find a used one around here that's any good and reasonably priced. I've seen a bunch of electrics and splitters that are too small to do the job. I was seriously considering buying a Huskee at Tractor Supply. They have a 22 ton for $999. That's the best deal I've found.

How much wood do you want/need to split per year?

Regarding Huskee/Speeco, the engineering/R&D team at SpeeCo seems to have worked out many issues over the years and make good bang-for-the-buck splitters. Last summer, I got my 35-ton model on sale and took another 10% off with a TSC coupon and have been pleased with its operation. Their customer service reps who hang out here at AS are great, IMO. If I need to increase my firewood production, I'll add a Super Split.

Also, here's a recent discussion:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=145149

Last edited:
I don't have a whole lot of wood to split this year. In a couple of weeks I've got a big maple in the back yard that has to come down and thought I'd save it for firewood. It's probably three feet across, just guessing but I'm thinking that if the Huskee 22 ton won't split the biggest pieces I can always get out the maul and cut it down some, then put it on the splitter. I normally would consider a used one but haven't seen any around lately.

I don't have a whole lot of wood to split this year. In a couple of weeks I've got a big maple in the back yard that has to come down and thought I'd save it for firewood. It's probably three feet across, just guessing but I'm thinking that if the Huskee 22 ton won't split the biggest pieces I can always get out the maul and cut it down some, then put it on the splitter. I normally would consider a used one but haven't seen any around lately.

I'd bet the Huskee 22T would do just fine.

Renting is always an option - but I do love my American cls.

I just bought a splitter a few weeks ago. If money was no object then it would have been the supersplit. The last splitter (not a SS) I had was (borrowed but split many cords) from Northern tool-a conventional 27 ton I beam with the conventional method of clamping the ram end/wedge to the top of the I-beam. It had a subaru 5.5hp or maybe 6.5hp-good engine. The two aggravations with the thing was 1)the cycle time in having to return the ram every split, and 2) the weight of it, was a heavy POS to move around.
I ended up with the 13 ton Powerhorse dual split from Northern. I split all softwoods and some occasional urban chinese elm so I don't need alot of power. Cost-799.00 for the splitter. What sold me on it is that it is lightweight, compact and easy to move around by hand. The wedge is welded to a tube within a tube which I believe creates less friction since the wedge tube is contained and greased(but I don't get any on me). When you finish a split, you just pull the next piece in-line and start the split with no wedge return cycle. So for the same number of splits I'm using half the ram cycles of a normal hydro splitter. Comes with a rack on each side so splits don't fall on the ground. After I put it together/added all fluids, the engine started on the first pull. Frame, welds, quality are very good I don't have any doubts this will hold up for my application. The engine however, I would say is the wild card with this splitter. Splitter is made in USA but I suspect the motor is a Chinese Honda copy but that is a guess. The engine castings I have to say are impressive-beautiful little motor that runs perfectly and is quieter than average-Chinese seem to be coming around with the quality in this case. I read alot of reviews and average of 4.7 out 5. Happy so far and has two year warranty. They have a bigger much heavier 20 ton and a 20 ton horiz/vert also. Splitting power-nothing has slowed it down yet. So the extra 2 grand I didn't spend on the Supersplit remains in the bank, but I only burn 3 cords of wood/yr anyway. That's my experience so far with the thing-only had it 3 weeks.
:cheers:

Last edited:
for a hair over 2k i got a iron and oak 26ton h/v with a 9hp honda gx,and i absolutley love it has split everything i have thrown at it. if your budget allows it i would definitly check it out.

attachment.php

Renting is always an option - but I do love my American cls.

I've rented before but don't think I will this time. The reason is, I'm kinda a tightwad and try to get the splitter back in a hurry so won't have to pay additional rent and I have a lot of wood to split coming up so thought I'd buy, then try to sell when I'm done with burning wood in a few years. That's my plan right now, anyway.

I just bought a splitter a few weeks ago. If money was no object then it would have been the supersplit. The last one I had was (borrowed but split many cords) from Northern tool-a conventional 27 ton I beam with the conventional method of clamping the ram end/wedge to the top of the I-beam. It had a subaru 5.5hp or maybe 6.5hp-good engine. The two aggravations with the thing was 1)the cycle time in having to return the ram every split, and 2) the weight of it, was a heavy POS to move around.
I ended up with the 13 ton Powerhorse dual split from Northern. I split all softwoods and some occasional urban chinese elm so I don't need alot of power. Cost-799.00 for the splitter. What sold me on it is that it is lightweight, compact and easy to move around by hand. The wedge is welded to a tube within a tube which I believe creates less friction since the wedge tube is contained and greased(but I don't get any on me). When you finish a split, you just pull the next piece in-line and start the split with no wedge return cycle. So for the same number of splits I'm using half the ram cycles of a normal hydro splitter. Comes with a rack on each side so splits don't fall on the ground. After I put it together/added all fluids, the engine started on the first pull. Frame, welds, quality are very good I don't have any doubts this will hold up for my application. The engine however, I would say is the wild card with this splitter. Splitter is made in USA but I suspect the motor is a Chinese Honda copy but that is a guess. The engine castings I have to say are impressive-beautiful little motor that runs perfectly and is quieter than average-Chinese seem to be coming around with the quality in this case. I read alot of reviews and average of 4.7 out 5. Happy so far and has two year warranty. They have a bigger much heavier 20 ton and a 20 ton horiz/vert also. Splitting power-nothing has slowed it down yet. So the extra 2 grand I didn't spend on the Supersplit remains in the bank, but I only burn 3 cords of wood/yr anyway. That's my experience so far with the thing-only had it 3 weeks.
:cheers:

You may want to take a closer look. The Subaru on my Super Split is made in Japan and is top quality.

Most of the cheaper "made in USA" splitters have Chinese pumps, cylinders, motors, etc. So it's good to look close at them before dropping cash.

Dont knock the MTD line..
i bought a well used one ( 31 ton ) for $800 and rented it out ten times last year at $100 a time.. it must have split at least 50 cords,and that is on an old machine.. engine starts first pull everytime..
everybody loved the verticle position,no lifting heavy pieces..none of those people will ever use a horizontal again.. cut a log to sit on and a helper and its an easy job of splitting.
no wood falling on the engine or dropping on your toes.. :)

I'm not knocking your splitter, and I may end up with one yet. But like I said I was looking for better speed, price point for my app, and portability and I believe I've succeeded. It doesn't come close to the SS for speed I recognize. For my application a SS would be way overkill. BTW if it turns out to be a POS I'll sell it and get better one. I think it'll work out fine otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. As far as pumps and valves, mine has Haldex pump and Prince control valve will see how they are. I never said the super split was substandard, just don't want to spend that much for 8 hrs of use/year. Just relating my experience to the OP.

Last edited:
Huskee 35 Ton

Unless you are constantly splitting wood daily for commercial purposes I don't see why a Huskee or Speeco would not serve you well.

Some folks might not be pleased with a Huskee but for myself it does the job I wanted it to do when I bought it.

Nosmo

Dont knock the MTD line..
i bought a well used one ( 31 ton ) for $800 and rented it out ten times last year at $100 a time.. it must have split at least 50 cords,and that is on an old machine.. engine starts first pull everytime..
everybody loved the verticle position,no lifting heavy pieces..none of those people will ever use a horizontal again.. cut a log to sit on and a helper and its an easy job of splitting.
no wood falling on the engine or dropping on your toes.. :)

I would consider any brand but while I've been looking I don't think I've seen any MTD splitters. I will probably either find a used one or go with the Huskee 22 ton for $999. I'm not done looking yet, I've got a few weeks to find one.

I'm not knocking your splitter, and I may end up with one yet. But like I said I was looking for better speed, price point for my app, and portability and I believe I've succeeded. It doesn't come close to the SS for speed I recognize. For my application a SS would be way overkill. BTW if it turns out to be a POS I'll sell it and get better one. I think it'll work out fine otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. As far as pumps and valves, mine has Haldex pump and Prince control valve will see how they are. I never said the super split was substandard, just don't want to spend that much for 8 hrs of use/year. Just relating my experience to the OP.

Not knocking yours. Just sayin you likely have a much better Jap motor and not a Chinese.

Lots of good information so far. THanks. I probably cut and split around 7-8 cords of wood a year. So I don't need an industrial sized splitter just a decent splitter with a decent price. I appreciate the information regarding horizontal vs. vertical. I will definately look into a horizontal but still not interested in getting 3 people to lift pieces. It will generally be myself or my wife splitting the wood by ourselves. Keep the information coming I am taking notes and doing the research.

Latest posts

Back