Lookingfor a Good Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My misteak on my last post,i was thinking of this machine.

http://thewoodwolf.com/

After a bunch or research, I would not buy a Woodwolf. Cheap price upfront, (if you can get one), cheap components and 200lbs lighter than a SS. Guy wouldn't call me back, then found out he was many months behind on orders and no machines being built at the time.

As far as the vertical vs horizontal. I've done both and will stay with horizontal.

:cheers:

If possible, run an American CLS high-wheel horizontal for a coupla cords; you'll never look back!

Just looked at an American "big wheel", had a 4-way, Honda 9 HP, and a table grate.
$3600.oo

IMO, WELL WORTH IT. Not only is it close to a TW5 in size and performance, it's half the money with all the build quality.
And if you ever need to sell, it'll retain at least 75% of the value of new.

A TSC cheepie is a waste of money for what it does and what it's worth 10 years down the road. Plus, they are not at all ergonomically designed.

logsplitteram25hh2.jpg

Last edited:
I've run both vertical and my horizontal, and I'll take the horizontal. All the time on your knees bites. Roll one in, down on your knees, split it, get up, roll one in, down on your knees again... I'd rather noodle the big ones.

Now if you had a horizontal/vertical where in the horizontal position the axle/tires weren't crowding the work area, or dropping wood on the fenders, that would be the best. Half the big ones in vertical mode, then finish splitting horizontal. They need a decent pump/engine too.. 21 or 28gpm.

Ian

I've run both vertical and my horizontal, and I'll take the horizontal. All the time on your knees bites. Roll one in, down on your knees, split it, get up, roll one in, down on your knees again... I'd rather noodle the big ones.

Down on your knees? :confused:

Ian, you gots ta be smarter than the wood you're splitting!! I do a lot of vertical splitting, and I'm NEVER on my knees!

Knees? No wonder some of you are down on vertical splitting! :dizzy:

I would consider any brand but while I've been looking I don't think I've seen any MTD splitters. I will probably either find a used one or go with the Huskee 22 ton for $999. I'm not done looking yet, I've got a few weeks to find one.

New MTD and 10 year old MTD are two different animals.

What it does is everything the American does at less than half the price. :monkey:

:agree2:

I'm sure the American is very nice, but for my purposes (5-10 cords/year), the Huskee makes sense. That beam on the American looks lower than my Huskee 35-ton and there is no in-beam log cradle.

BTW, I purchased my 35-ton v/h model for $1529 in August, 2009, with the solid toe plate. It works as fast as I can keep up with feeding it. If I were a commercial firewood producer, I'd look toward a 4-way hydraulic or Super Split model, but that's not me...yet. :)

Last edited:
Not if you get one of those logs and sit on it while you split.

This helps keep my back strait and I don’t need to pick up all those logs I fine it is easer to roll them than pick them up.

I use a 5 gal bucket to sit on when I'm using the vertical. I also roll the biguns close and sit down and split 'em until time to get more. If they won't roll, I just use the 2wheeler.

I have a ruptured disc in my lower back which keeps me from operating it horizontal, but I can sit on the bucket and use my upper body and split all day long.

Last edited:
Down on your knees? :confused:

Ian, you gots ta be smarter than the wood you're splitting!! I do a lot of vertical splitting, and I'm NEVER on my knees!

Knees? No wonder some of you are down on vertical splitting! :dizzy:

The only thing that would make a verticle better is a cold drink holder and a TV stand :)
i have a helper,uses foot to roll over fresh rounds,just sit and split,not even like work.

I guess I'm taller than Mark. If it's big/heavy enough to not want to lift it, it's too heavy to horse it around under the vertical unless I'm bent over double or on my knees. To each his own I guess.

Ian

Last edited:
We're not connecting here :) Maybe I worded it all wrong. I feel Honda is at the top, but you said Chinese Honda copy? Honda is a Japanese motor and super high quality, though they may have a plant in China now?. You got a Honda, or a copy?

I personally try to avoid anything made in China. Gettin harder to do these days though. But that's for another foum :cheers:

Honda GX series are Japan made. The GC line is made in China..... as are all the no name GX clones. The Subaru/Robin engine isn't a Honda clone and is excellent! They have been around for many, many years!

I've got one of those two wheelers that I drilled a 1/2" hole in the top of it so I could lay it down and pull it behind my Cub Cadet. You could put some plywood on it and make a trailer out of it. I haven't done that yet, though.

Hmmmm. Thet ain't a bad idea! You're not as dumb as I look! :cheers:

:D

splitter

if im not right the beam on the speeco is welded in a couple of spots thats what i saw at tsc last time still a good tool but no timberwolf or american or builtright just my 2 cents i had my share of splitters good luck

That's not hard to do, Ian. I'm only 6'. One of my boys has already passed me, and it's looking like another one will by next summer. I keep telling my wife to stop feeding them, but she won't listen! :mad:

Well that's not it then... I'm about 2" shorter than you. Have ya got ape arms to reach down to the wood? :D

Ian

Back