lookout Midwestern states.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ice is coming down pretty good now. Snow, cold and wind not far behind. Don't think the weather guys are crying wolf this time (here anyway). For you guys east of Missouri, the worst hasn't got there yet :D

Stay warm!

Just on north edge of Milwaukee,5- 6" as of 2am, wind is picking up now, more on the way. Forecasters calling for 12" +++ overnight, bad part is the wind gusting to 50mph, makes a lot of drifting and then the temps are going to the basement with the wind chill around 25 below.

Did you catch the part about flooding due to Lake Michigan waves and spray coming onto land? I'd drive into town just to see that since its a rare occurance.

Snow totals have the eastern counties preparing for 20" from monday night through wednesday.

I can believe the forecast if rain has any bearing. It has rained hard since starting last night and if all this moisture makes it to your cold air yup bad deal lol:cheers:

Yeah Rope, we're gettin that rain right now in south central Mo, but it 27* :D

We have a good inch of ice on the ground and it's not slowing. Going to get much worse.

yep got up this morning got ready to go cut and almost busted my @ss getting to the truck.. decided its not worth getting hurt to go cut..will wait till thurs. when its a balmy 17 deg. and clear sky's. 1/2" or so of ice here...and more on the way....good day to get drunk and watch snow flakes fall..:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

I was going to go cut today as well but 2" of solid ice over everything put that plan to rest.

Instead I just stayed at home and worked on splitting what I already have cut.

Thank goodness for tarps. I'll say that for sure. If I guy didn't cover his wood, it'd be useless right now without having it warm up inside for several hours.

Lightweights! Year before last we got 26 inches in 24 hours and I still had to go to work the next day.

Anyways, hope you all in the midwest stay safe!

I'm ready but doubt it will amount to half of what they are predicting. My personal forecast for Williams county Ohio is 8" total. (right in the corner of Oh, Mi, and IN)
We'll see Thursday morning if I'm right.

I think I'm gonna be wrong!

backup for that

We're going to get ice tonight, snow tomorrow, then a couple days of way too cold. 10 below Thursday and this is southern Missouri!
Local weather guy said worst winter storm in 100 years...

Y'all stay warm!

--my GF called her dad and siblings tonight, they live in central MO. Her dad, who is 89, just made it home from work (for real, has a law practice since getting out of the army air force in ww2 and doing law school then) and said it was the worst winter storm he has ever seen. At least he has a little wood stashed for his fireplace when the power goes out. One of her sisters is a school principal, and has canceled classes all the way to friday.

Windy as hell, and a bit of snow, but nothing worth getting excited about yet, even if everything is closed and ya can't see the porch rail from the back door.

Still waiting on the snow to get deep, and if it ain't too bad, I'll head into town and brave the hill to the beach for some pics. Horizontal Ice formations are always fun to look at.

It sounds like the folks down south caught the worst of this one so far.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ditto on the wind over here as well. Went to take the dogs out the back door and had to push a 6" drift out of the way, that was an hour ago, I shoveled it out and its back already.

Yeah, drifts.

I ain't even gonna plow my drive untill it's over.
Stupid wind is shifting around too much.

So far this "Storm" is a lot like a good winter lake squall. Maybe we will get some slop Wednesday.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree that '78 set the standard fo sure.

No one around here could measure the "true" amount.
It was drifted over cars, big rigs, and to the tops of telephone poles in some places.

We are right on the "white/pink" line and have a total of 5-6 inches of sleet!
I have never seen sleet accumulations like this,ever.

I came up from the barn last night around 7:30 and was plum tuckered out walking the 175 feet.

It was like walking through loose sand, heavy as heck and the sleet was like walking through a sandblaster.
The winds picked that stuff up, and drifted it pretty good, we shall see what we have here since it is first light now.
Guess the old Bolens and snow caster will get a good work-out today eh?

My guess is that a 3 foot drift of those "pellets will bog you down real quick, not like the fine powder stuff that is so fun to bust through.

But not holding a candle to '67 or '78, at least here.

Stay warm,

mo

All clear here east of Columbus, IN. Had some heavy ice on the tree's/Power lines last night, But it warmed enough overnight to melt it all off, and the wind did a fine job of drying the roads. Really feel like we dodged the bullet on this one. Lots of reported power outages, but we have power.

Looks like a full day of digging out between my parents, wife grand parents, Wifes mother, and ourselves. Looking like winter wonderland with all the drifts.

I have no idea how they will measure the amount of snow we got. The wind was HORRENDOUS!!!

Last night my neighbor finally got to leave work about 9:00pm. Well wouldn't ya know he went in the ditch about a mile short of home. They called me and I said I'd go get him. I told him to just leave the car sit till morning daylight and we would go back and get it. Well I got him home and went back home myself. He calls the sheriffs dept to simply tell them the location of the vehicle and that we were going to get it at first light. (thats what they tell us you are supposed to do if you abandon your vehicle)

NOOOOOO,,,,, they tell him that he HAS to get it right away. So back in the truck I go. I pick my neighbor back up and off we go. About a 1/4 mile from his house I drive right into the ditch on the curve and ABSOLUTELY BURY my truck. The wind and snow was so bad you literally couldn't see where you were going. Well after about an hour of digging and trying we gave up. A friend of mine lives just a couple miles away with a plow truck and managed to get me out and them him but what a night it was. I have never experienced SUSTAINED winds like that before. I'm 42 and lived and drove in this stuff all my life and never seen anything quite like that.

Latest posts

Back