lookout Midwestern states.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm between Cleveland and Columbus in the Wooster area....... storm basically missed us. Ice on the sidewalks etc. but nothing near enough to bring down even small tree limbs. We also got no snow whatsoever.

I enjoy a good winter storm contrary to others and feel like I really got ripped off with this one LOL. Had high hopes to take a day or two off work and drive around town cutting firewood or at least get to use the new snowblower that has seen little or no action yet this winter.

It's still goin' strong over here in Mid-Michigan. I had 2' against the side and back doors at 7am, this wind can leave anytime. Just came in from clearing about half the driveway and turned on the news, looks like Chicago is really getting it, showed pictures of Lakeshore Dr. and only a few thousand cars were stranded on the road. I think I'll just sit by the stove drinking beer today!

The clouds have finally broken here in N Illinois, that was a nasty night for sure! We ended up with 18 inches here, but there are areas of the yard that are clear... but there is also a 10 ft drift in front of the shed doors that are holding the skid steer and plow! Any suggestions?? I'll post some pictures in a bit.

The clouds have finally broken here in N Illinois, that was a nasty night for sure! We ended up with 18 inches here, but there are areas of the yard that are clear... but there is also a 10 ft drift in front of the shed doors that are holding the skid steer and plow! Any suggestions?? I'll post some pictures in a bit.

yep shovel phiiiiit:monkey:

We dodged a bulled here. Ice had been building up on everything in the evening, but we had so much rain and warmer temps that the trees are now unburdened. Now comes the snow....

Just got in from "blowing" my drive (1/2 mile long), and pullin' my oldest son out of the ditch.

That stuff was sooo heavy, it was like blowing tons of sno cones!

The boy was out playin' and got sucked right into that heavy stuff.

I told him, "dumb ass, that's sleet, not snow", I can stand on top of it in most spots. my guesstimate is 6-7" of mostly sleet pellets.

All the moisture passed through leaving us with 10" fluffy snow, then the winds, up to 30, now the cold wave, -24 F this morn, about -5 now for the hi. Kids haven't had school all week, they need to go back soon!

attachment.php

I got my cement slab blown off this morning and was headed down the driveway and the snowblower engine blew up. 1 month out of warranty... figures. I get to see if they will cover it tomorrow....

The forcasters missed it here in SW Iowa. We ended up with 4-5 inches of snow. We did get the 40+ mph winds so we got the drifts but, not bad for what they predicted.

South Haven gets 20 inches of snow from storm
Comments 0
February 02, 2011 7:26 PM
DETROIT (AP) - South Haven has received 20 inches of snow, the largest snowfall reported in the state from a massive winter storm sweeping across Michigan.

The National Weather Service reports Wednesday that Muskegon got 19.7 inches.

Detroit has had 8.7 inches and Flint 10 inches, while a foot fell in Huron County and the Lansing area.

At least two Michigan deaths could be blamed on the wintry weather, including a man who died after his pickup truck rolled over Tuesday near Grand Rapids. A Detroit area man collapsed in his Van Buren Township home after helping free a car from a snow drift.

Three people also were injured Wednesday when a metal awning collapsed southeast of Grand Rapids.

Kinda funny that we got the most snow in the state.

Watching the news you would swear the big citys were in the middle of the apocalypse, and here where things are measured to be worse, folks just unburied things and went about business as normal. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The weathermen are officially calling our storm a blizzard. :)

Here's a picture of what I had to clear to get out our front door.

snow2.jpg

Also had a huge drift in front of the garage door - about 24' wide x 20' long x 4-1/2' tall - that one drift took me 1.75 hours to clear with the riding mower w/snowblower on it. I had to knock down the drift to get the snow down to a level the snowblower could get to it!

snow_feb_2011.jpg

This is a photo from our livingroom looking out. You can just see the top of our couch, then the snow on the window and then the drift just outside the window. There are two little 'bumps' in the snow drift: the one on the left is a metal sculpture wishing well the other bump on the right is our freestanding bird feeder. :thinking:

Definitely a blizzard, here is what we were up against Wednesday when I finally decided to venture out:

Here is the garden under the snow, the wire fence you can barely see is four ft tall
attachment.php

This is a view from inside the shed where the skid steer is stored, mind you I'm 6'6"
attachment.php

The drive way is still buried under most of this snow drift. I had to clear an area to push the snow! This took some time, these kind of days make me wish I had a big Cat front endloader with a heated cab!
attachment.php

The 1840 does a pretty nice job pushing the snow, it's nice knowing you won't get stuck in the snow, wheels start to spin and you just bucket your way out!

Bluestem: The view of you standing next to that drift looks familiar! Our drift by the garage was only around 4-1/2' deep (deeper on the front of the house). I know it always drifts right up to our garage door so I took a chance and stored our rider/snowblower unit on the leeward side of a wood pile & covered the rider with a tarp. Ha! Worked out great as that area had no snow at all! :)

If I would have thought about it for more than 10 seconds I would have realized I could have stored the skid steer in the other shed that faces east. No snow in front of those doors! Next time right... It was certainly an adventure.

Back