Loose Chain Problem Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fellin Feller

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have an old Stihl MS362. It ran fine last week. I sharpened the chain and ran it today. The chain gets real loose after a couple minutes of cutting. I tightened it several times and still gets way too loose very quickly.

I'm trying to figure this out. The sprocket seems to have some side to side play in it, is this normal? I am about due for a new bar, but am doubting if the bar would cause a chain to get that loose. Any ideas?

is the tensioner still in good shape? It sounds like the threads on the tensioner could be worn and slipping.

I was t sure if it was “still” a problem or if the “Stihl” had a problem.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Okay, now to suggest the cheapest, easiest possible solution.

have you tried putting a block of wood under the bar nose ?

Put a block of wood under the bar nose when you adjust the tension, and tighten the bar nuts. Use a block big Enough to put pressure on the bar nose, this will put the bar in the position it will be in when being used. It may not seem like a big deal, but it can make a difference. I had a couple saws doing the same thing, and a Logger told me to try that, PROBLEM SOLVED.

Later when I LOOKED, I found that some of my Husqvarna Owners Manuals, said the same thing. Hey, I’m a Guy, and don’t need no stinkin’ manuals (SMH)

Doug

Remove the bar you may have dirt between the bar and case/clutch cover. Scrape it clean.

Always tip the saw forward on the bar nose when adjusting and tightening the chain

is the tensioner still in good shape? It sounds like the threads on the tensioner could be worn and slippdoes not keep the bar tight, that's what

Adjuster does not keep the bar tight, that would be the bar nuts.

Latest posts

Back