Loose Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilli1024

Reaction score
I have a Craftsman chainsaw. Lately every time I use it, the chain comes loose as soon as I start cutting.

I have tightened it numerous times and it still happens.

Any ideas?

Hi Chili Willi. (I figured that if your saw isn't working, you must be cold).

Here's what to do. Take the sprocket cover off, and the bar too. Clean all the oil from the bar and cover and housing where the three come together. Read in your owners manual how to set the tension when you re-install the chain (I pull up and if I can just slip a dime between the bar and chain, that is right for me).

The two secrets are, and don't tell anyone, and if you do, tell them you heard it on Arboristsite.com,

1) Clean all the oil out as I said

2) When tightening the nuts, place the tip of the bar on a block of wood to exert upwards pressure on the bar. That way, when you cut and you pry up on the dogs, you will not rotate the bar that 1-2 degrees from the bottom of its rest to the top. That small movement starts the loosening of the bar. The oil in there makes it worse.

Guaranteed Canadian bushwacker technique - taught to me by a genuine Canadian/Finlander bushwacker. You heard it here first @ arboristsite.com Please let me know if this tightening sequence works for you.

Not to dispute Deere Johns advice about placing the tip on a block of wood, but who carries a block of wood? Just raise it up with your left hand while tightening the nuts with your right hand. Same effect and you don`t have to carry anything. How sharp is your chain? A dull chain needs frequent retensioning, same as a chain that is not properly lubed. Russ

Russ - I was going to say the tip of your boot (as I do), but I figured that at least 2/3 of the people who might follow my advice will not be wearing steel toes, and more than likely, 1/4 of the 2/3 will be wearing sandals as they whistle while they work.

About the block of wood, wood in any form is readily available - a stump, limb, block of firewood, your axe handle. My point was that wood will not dull the chain as would your shop floor, a curb or a rock. Hope that is more clear.

Wow. This is great help. I will try out these ideas this weekend and let you all know how it goes. Glad to get this kind of advice.

John, good points all. I realized after I sent my first reply what a brain f*rt I had. All I could picture was a chunk of 2x stuck under the tip, never considered a limb or log as a chunk of wood. Glad you were wearing your steel toes. Russ

The sprocket is out of pitch, kinking the chain, causing it to stretch when put to the wood, plus the bar is prolly fubarred, compounded by lack of lube.
Loggins & Loggins Logging & Lumber Ltd.
Frank's Planks

Hi Jeff, no snow yet, just a pic from the archives. Its about 75 degrees here, perfect, love it, dump it, buck it, choke it, skid it, truck it, and over the ocean it goes.
John

going to make another guess... im betting u have tightened your saw dn on the tension screw ,when it was not in the appropriate hole in the bar. if u did that
the screw is turning the bar loose.
also probably bent. just my guess . yea i did it one time.:)

Latest posts

Back