Lowes & Husky...no more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was in Lowes yesterday, and they had one display 137 and 15-20 142's. The price on the 142 is marked down to $179. This store is in S Fl, anyone else notice their stock dwindling on Husky's?. It looks like they are on their way out...kinda puts the BB argument to rest eh?

MotorSeven said:
Was in Lowes yesterday, and they had one display 137 and 15-20 142's. The price on the 142 is marked down to $179. This store is in S Fl, anyone else notice their stock dwindling on Husky's?. It looks like they are on their way out...kinda puts the BB argument to rest eh?
My Lowes still has the homeowner lot. Plus Tractor Supply Company TSC has switched to Husky. The 455's and down. They have the homeowner stuff now too, with all oils, chaps, gear,files etc.

The word I got from a Lowes employee is that Lowes has dumped Husqvarna, and will start selling Stihls.

pallis said:
The word I got from a Lowes employee is that Lowes has dumped Husqvarna, and will start selling Stihls.

Interesting..

Stihl says they won't sell to Lowes/HD, so we'll see what happens!

I bet the PLASTIC cased homeowner junk. Plastic cased stuff is just a PITA for me to work on in all brands. Thats what I meant by my statement. Great till you have to work on one.

pallis said:

The Lowes guy has to be wrong. Stihl has become #1 in sales following a very different business model.

I can't see a Stihl executive saying "lets sell through box stores" and not being dragged out the back by everyone else in the company for some "product demonstration time." :)

I read that Stihl sold more saws than any other brand in 2005, despite selling exclusively through dealers.
Why would they break something if it is working?
No way will Stihl sell in Lowes or HD in the near future....things may change some day.
Maybe Husqvarna will sell in HD next, but I can't imagine why Lowes would drop a quality name brand like Husqvarna unless it was a money deal.
I would guess Husqvarna is rethinking their strategy and pulling out of the box store business and returning to the dealer only network.

Yeah, my response was that Stihl doesn't sell saws in box stores. Still, if it happens, there should be some lively threads to read here.

There was a newspaper article floating around a while back where they interviewd Mr. Stihl himself, and he was more than adement that they'd never sell in Lowe's or HD. He said they were courted weekly by them, but that it just wouldn't happen as long as he was in charge.

Hopefully he's still in charge.

Jeff

lowes and hd

I don't think they could sell stihls last time i priced them they were more than my first house:bowdown: :yoyo:

stihl

Lakeside53 said:
Your house is $169?? :D
:popcorn: i have never seen a cheap stihl $400-600 :jawdrop: but i stoped looking at them long ago Yes i bought some cheap real estate long ago:buttkick: Who knows maby they will have a cheap copy spelled steel made in china for $79:taped:

havvey said:
:popcorn: i have never seen a cheap stihl $400-600 :jawdrop: but i stoped looking at them long ago Yes i bought some cheap real estate long ago:buttkick: Who knows maby they will have a cheap copy spelled steel made in china for $79:taped:

You must have stopped about 15 years ago!

Stihl has about 6-8 saws less then $400, the cheapest being $169, maybe less in some areas.

MotorSeven said:

Got my local county paper today and Lowes had a big pull out ad in it. They listed a few Poulans on sale and one Husky for 199.00, regular 229.00. Got no clue what Lowes is up to with that. They shouldn't have to put that Husky on sale among those Poulans but they are, why I don't know. $30.00 off means they aren't hardly making a penny on that saw., weird...

fishhuntcutwood said:
You think it has to do with summer being the slow time for saws, and they're trying to move stagnant inventory? :confused:

Could be but seems with a name as famous as Husqvarna they wouldn't have to put those on sale. Poulans yes because everyone does those, mainly Sears. Husky though, thats odd

Be nice if we could actually get some facts here.

But, $179 for a model 142 is $20 below the "power price" that Lowes is not supposed to deviate from.

In another marketing zig-zag, I was faxed a letter today, originally from Husky, describing something called the "Eagle Elite" program where by landscapers can buy product direct from Husky. No details in the letter regarding how much equipment a customer must purchase to qualify for this program. We'll have to see what this is all about.

I wonder who they expect to service that equipment. You know, service with a smile and all that. I have an opinion that I'll hold onto for the time being.

lowes

All joking aside the economy in some areas seems to be slipping and i am sure no performing inventory must go. I am seeing a lot of buisness fail or get out of a particular item due to lack of profits. I hope husky learns a history lesson of what happened to mac and hommie when they went to box stores = bankruptcy:jawdrop: :buttkick: :rock:

Back