Lowes & Husky...no more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
havvey said:
:popcorn: i have never seen a cheap stihl $400-600 :jawdrop: but i stoped looking at them long ago Yes i bought some cheap real estate long ago:buttkick: Who knows maby they will have a cheap copy spelled steel made in china for $79:taped:
I bought some cheap real estate not too long ago (1991). 95 acres for $220/acre. Wish I could buy more today.
Finnbear

Sooooo.... Husky is getting out of the box stores.... Is there going to be a replacement, or are these store just going to do without chainsaws? Who might benefit by going in? Homelite or McCulloch? Poulan is already in a "cheap" store.

motti said:
Sooooo.... Husky is getting out of the box stores.... Is there going to be a replacement, or are these store just going to do without chainsaws? Who might benefit by going in? Homelite or McCulloch? Poulan is already in a "cheap" store.
The box stores already have Echo ( weedeaters n such ) so maybe the Echo chainsaw will expand to a full line .

Rspike said:
The box stores already have Echo ( weedeaters n such ) so maybe the Echo chainsaw will expand to a full line .

Echo has a pretty full lineup, save for the monsters. The bigger echos just don't end up in the box stores.

THALL10326 said:
Got my local county paper today and Lowes had a big pull out ad in it. They listed a few Poulans on sale and one Husky for 199.00, regular 229.00. Got no clue what Lowes is up to with that. They shouldn't have to put that Husky on sale among those Poulans but they are, why I don't know. $30.00 off means they aren't hardly making a penny on that saw., weird...

Yep, and the Polans they had here were NOT discounted. 8 months ago you couldn't find a saw anywhere due to the hurricanes, but all that stock has been replenished, and the "clean up" has been done for months. There is a HD 4 blocks away from Lowes, so out of curiosity, i'm going to stop in and see what their stock looks like. As far as Stihl going BB, i doubt it, but stranger things have happened........
RD

box stores

personaly i think box stores should get out of some of this stuff especially the stuff that requires service /parts.:jawdrop:

planning for hurricanes

Last year Stihl sold either 45,000 or 55,000 saws in Arkansas.
I'm sorry, but I can't remember the number.
These were mostly sales to folks that headed back to Miss or Louisiana to clean up.
Stihl plans on 2 hurricanes in the US per year. (Although they may want to up that a bit).
For any American distributor to be going with a sale at the start of hurricane season seems a little short sighted.

This does sound like management re-direction.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:
another stihl thought

Stihl is the noble company, "we support our dealers and therefore we provide better support to our customers."
I buy Stihl, wouldn't want to come across as just another sniper against them.

But how can you support sales of ridiculous numbers of chain saws after a natural disaster? In effect, these sales are box store sales. Even if the building they came from is a small box and the price was not discounted.

In the world of business ethics, total revenue still finds a way to rear its ugly head.

Why doesn't Stihl have teams of repairmen that do follow-up support in these hurricane areas?
Sure, Stihl can't fix all the problems of the world. If the local infrastructure is devastated and sales are made elsewhere, then come back in one week a month with 3 quality repairmen from elsewhere and a van of parts and help those local dealers do the job and get established again.

Hurricane sales in the US must be one of the first topics discussed at any large chain saw manufacturers overseas sales meetings.
1) Guaranteed high sales,
2) Maximum prices,
3) Service support an unnecessary option.

Hmmm, the Home Desperate had a full line of saws, 3X what Lowes had. I guess it could be a poorly managed store or one with an opening for "Stock Manager":D Either way, with hurricane season here again, it doesn't look like they will sell many more Huskys.
RD

Hate to disappoint some but here in Georgia Stihl sells thru Ace Hardwares that have NO service department. They can't even add gas and oil before you leave. Just a bit of info.
GrgH

Box store Husky's

The smaller Husky's are made at the Poulan plant in Arkansas. I had a 136 a few years ago and it was great for running LP chain for a while. After a very short period the plastic casing melted around the muffler. They have the 137's there now but they just don't have the power that the 136 had (more CARB compliant).

THALL10326 said:
Got my local county paper today and Lowes had a big pull out ad in it. They listed a few Poulans on sale and one Husky for 199.00, regular 229.00. Got no clue what Lowes is up to with that. They shouldn't have to put that Husky on sale among those Poulans but they are, why I don't know. $30.00 off means they aren't hardly making a penny on that saw., weird...
Thall,
Glad to see you back,tried to PM you but no luck.
Mark

smokechase II said:
Stihl is the noble company, "we support our dealers and therefore we provide better support to our customers."
I buy Stihl, wouldn't want to come across as just another sniper against them.

But how can you support sales of ridiculous numbers of chain saws after a natural disaster? In effect, these sales are box store sales. Even if the building they came from is a small box and the price was not discounted.

In the world of business ethics, total revenue still finds a way to rear its ugly head.

Why doesn't Stihl have teams of repairmen that do follow-up support in these hurricane areas?
Sure, Stihl can't fix all the problems of the world. If the local infrastructure is devastated and sales are made elsewhere, then come back in one week a month with 3 quality repairmen from elsewhere and a van of parts and help those local dealers do the job and get established again.

Hurricane sales in the US must be one of the first topics discussed at any large chain saw manufacturers overseas sales meetings.
1) Guaranteed high sales,
2) Maximum prices,
3) Service support an unnecessary option.

Excellent post smokechaser, it had crossed my mind as well that they should maybe have hired several chainsaw pros to do safety seminars for all these folks who bought saws for a (hopefully) one-time cleanup. You would think that with the sheer volume of sales one of the execs would have gone hmmmm, many inexperienced people buying saws, and thought about keeping people safe. Probably too much to ask though eh? Just makes me wonder about the whole 'profit before peoples' aspect, like selling (and pushing) high powered vehicles to kids sort of thingy. My opine.

according to my local lowe's guy..........

they are having trouble gettin gsaws.have been for months.he says they have been begging for them.

Back