Lubegard 2 cycle oil users out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am not trying to open a can of worms and start another oil debate. I bought some Lubegard 2 cycle oil and I like the fact that there is little to no smoke and no obnoxious smell, but I have no idea if it is a good lubricant that will be easy on the equipment. I am looking for FIRST HAND experiences or objective test results from other Lubgard 2 cycle oil users, not a theoretical discussion on 2 cycle oil or a list of all the oils that are better. I can read those threads.

Thanks in advance for keeping this thread on topic.

Have you got a picture of the bottle? I use anything I can get respectably cheap. I do prefer that it has some sort of stabilizer in it
My saws sit quite a bit in the summer. Seems to really help out with carburetor. I wouldn't be afraid of it. How much does it cost I've never heard of it.

I don't know if it has any fuel stabilizer. I stumbled onto it looking for a product to help condition seals. They have both a 2 cycle oil with seal conditioner and just oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lubgard+2+cycle+oil

So bought some and mixed up a gallon 50:1. Saw seems to run good and there is little to no smoke. It has an odor, but it is quite diffetent than normal 2 cycle oil.

I don't know if it has any fuel stabilizer. I stumbled onto it looking for a product to help condition seals. They have both a 2 cycle oil with seal conditioner and just oil.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...Y340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=lubgard+2+cycle+oil

So bought some and mixed up a gallon 50:1. Saw seems to run good and there is little to no smoke. It has an odor, but it is quite diffetent than normal 2 cycle oil.
Spider to be good for your crank seals and such? Hell I'd give it a go. If you're trying to condition the seals. Why not step up to 40:1. ? Again not trying to derail the thread. I've never used it. The fact that it may possibly help with seal reconditioning makes me wanna try it. Honestly I would bump it up to 40 to 1 just to let a little more of the seal conditioner get down to the seal. Have you any reason against adding a bit more ? I use 40 in everything. If it comes out to 50 I still use it. I have a couple saws that really run better as long as I keep the mix the same. If I'm using 32 to 1 stay there with the tune. If I go 40 stay there. If not the screwdriver has to come out every time I mix a new jug up.

Looked on "tinternet" at the write up it doesn't quote a JASO or ISO rating it also doesn't say if it's Semi or full Synth so according to their specs there is no way to compare with other oil brands, whilst it may not have a Jaso rating (very expensive to obtain ratification, out of reach for small company blenders.)I find it strange they don't state the make up of the blend Synth or whatever Does it state on the container? It would not stop me using it but my first mix ratio would be 32/1 & see what the piston looked like through the exhaust port I would be cautious at going north of 40/1, dependent on availability I would use a ratified oil unless I could determine the blend & rating of this oil.

Which is exactly why I was looking for user experiences. The manufacturer claims the oil is great, but most marketing is just hype (I should know, had to take marketing classes for my MBA). I like the way the saws run and smell and don't smoke. But is it any good? I don't use or keep saws long enough to do a long term test. Would be interesting to have someone who runs saws professionally start using Lubegard in a brand new saw and report on it long term with a tear down to look at the engine. Any takers?

At least I haven't heard anyone say, "Oh yeah, I tried that stuff and my saw seized up."

Poking around on there website (International Lubricants Inc.), they offer a biodegradable chainsaw bar oil. It's a little pricey though.

Also, their story is kind of interesting. The liquid wax ester used in many of their products is a synthetic molecule designed to replace sperm whale oil. They seem to have a big following in the automatic transmission world.

From Wikipedia:

"In the US, whale oil was used in cars as an additive to automatic transmission fluid until it was banned by the Endangered Species Act.[24] Prior to 1972, over 30 million pounds of Sperm Whale oil was used annually in lubricants because of its exceptional lubricity and heat stability.[25] In 1972, the Sperm Whale was listed as an Endangered Species and the following year, the US Congress amended the Endangered Species Act, outlawing the killing of whales and the use of their oil.[25] The loss of whale oil had a profound impact in the automotive industry, where for example, transmission failures rose from under 1 million in 1972 to over 8 million by 1975."

Yes, from the junk (melon) and the spermaceti organ, both of which are in the head, the one with the brain that is. Shoot, that doesn't help either. The one with the mouth.

Which is exactly why I was looking for user experiences. The manufacturer claims the oil is great, but most marketing is just hype (I should know, had to take marketing classes for my MBA). I like the way the saws run and smell and don't smoke. But is it any good? I don't use or keep saws long enough to do a long term test. Would be interesting to have someone who runs saws professionally start using Lubegard in a brand new saw and report on it long term with a tear down to look at the engine. Any takers?

At least I haven't heard anyone say, "Oh yeah, I tried that stuff and my saw seized up."
I think you would struggle to get a money earning set up to use a product that doesn't carry a ratification, as in the case of a problem they would have no come back. Having said that & shot myself in the foot, to the fact we use a mix oil with no ratification, but the company supplying the oil are very small in terms of blenders, & the guys mixing the brew as it were, are known personally to us so they & we know exactly what "goodies" the mix oil contains, & doesn't have any additives that are not needed, as an example Motul 800, excellent oil but contains an additive to keep the power valve free on a 2Smoke bike, no power valve on a a saw, so surplus to requirement making the series 710 suitable at a slightly in our area better price. Some of the top grade oils blended for air cooled motors but suitable for comp bikes & microlites could be a bit overkill for a saw, the requirements being different but the " one size fits all " comes to mind.But it's a never ending arguing/talking point.

Latest posts

Back