Ludell Splitting Axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN Ripper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone else here have one? I picked it up at our local Fleet Farm store recently on unplanned purchase-caught my eye as cut through the aisle. I've had the Fiskars for over a year and used it a fair share but just never got used to the short handle. When it came to bigger rounds I found myself going back to my dads old maul which had a long handle.

Weight is close to my Fiskars, the forged wedges flare out about the same distance with the Ludell maybe 1/4"-3/8" wider by a little. The handle has more flex feel to it than the Fiskars but it doesn't bother me. I have noticed that I haven't had the annoyance yet of where it goes half way down a round and gets stuck and won't pull back out easy. Seems like I ran into that more with the Fiskars-the wedge acted like a barb and didn't like to reverse. With the Ludell if you can't split it through on one hit it stops up by the cutting edge like when splitting with an standard axe. Its holding an edge very well. I've ran it through mostly oak, but I had some maple and poplar just give it some variety and see how it went. Time will tell.

If you like a Fiskars style axe but wish it had a longer handle like myself you might want to try it. It was $29.95. I took a few photos of the 2 in case any one wants to see how they differ.

I've got one, don't use it much except for stress relief.

Same as the Fiskars, don't use it as a maul, or hit the back of it with a maul. There's not enough steel between the handle and the back, and it will crack out. My first one taught me this lesson, but Fleet Farm replaced it no questions asked.

I think it's as good or better than any of the standard style mauls, never tried it head to head with an Fiskars. Cherry and red oak are my favorite targets for it, and Oak will latch on to it once in a while and not want to let go like you say.

I have one and have been awed by its performance. Never tried the Fiskars, but I have a hard time believing that it could perform better - my guess is that the Luddell is the poor man's option.

I use a monster maul, 8# and 6# maul, but find myself trying it with the Luddell splitting axe first and most of the time I just don't need the big guns.

i have one also, i have found that it gets stuck in wood easily and is hard to get out. if your wood is wet its not the tool to use. you also cant drive it through by hitting the back of the head, i destroyed mine by doing this.

I'll keep my Fiskars SS, but the Ludell's handle length combined with better vibration attenuation, would put the SS over the top perfect, for my particular biomechanical potential....it's about time they came out with a perfected version. A commemorative signature series, with minor yet performance enhancing tweaks.

Blessings in Yeshua

The Ludell is all that I use. I have split many, many rounds with mine and wouldn't change it for the world. It isn't heavy, but I can get some serious speed with it- and really works well for me.
I bought a cheap sharpening stone a while back that I use for keeping a sharp edge. I won't buy anything else!

I saw those at a store when I was looking for the Fiskars. Couldn't get past the Made in China stamp. Sometimes there's no option, but when there is . . .

Jack

I've had both and the fiskars is 10 times the maul....that said they are both better than an 8 pounder.

With the SS, in tough woods, there is a noticeable difference in effort required after the non slip coating wears off. As the wedge widens during impact, there is a noticeable friction increase. I wonder if it's possible to mount a heavy duty cylinder bearing at the back of the wedge, one on both sides, deep set, yet raised just enough to engage the piece at the right moment, lessening resistance and increasing KE enough to help pop those bigger pieces.

Blessings in Christ Yeshua

Last edited:
I got one, and the casting is cracked in the back from hitting it with a sledge just like everybody else's.

If they had made the back thicket to withstand a sledge hit it would be the perfect maul.

i just started a new post on a ludell maul, and in searching, found this post... i really like teh feel of it, and have used it quite a bit, the handle is getting loose inside teh head on mine, its still epoxied at teh top, but seems to be getting a little loose at the bottom of teh head...
someone wrote they got one replaced under warranty? i don't know where mine was bought, it was a gift, if i can get it exchanged i will, if not i'm going to try to replace teh handle,,,other than fleet farms,, who sells tehm?
tahnks

i thought i seen one at lowes, too bad wal-mart doesnt sell them they will take back anything
:cheers:

Ludell

I have one and it works good for me. Between that, the ludell 8 pound splitting maul and an eastwing wedge for the really stubborn ones that is all I use. I split all my wood by hand. I enjoy that kind of work after a day solving other peoples computer problems. Office jobs are not all that great after a while:dizzy:
But they are warm in the winter and cool in the summer.....

i thought i seen one at lowes, too bad wal-mart doesnt sell them they will take back anything
:cheers:

i found one today at hd, i went to two stores & found teh last one around, they replaced it,,, seems hd changed teh manufacturer, and teh new mauls they have are made in india, they have a fibreglas ax handle (different than the maul handle) on them,, and didn't feel as good as teh ludell,,,

someone wrote they got one replaced under warranty? i don't know where mine was bought, it was a gift, if i can get it exchanged i will, if not i'm going to try to replace teh handle,,,other than fleet farms,, who sells tehm?
tahnks

That was me. I just returned it to Fleet Farm and got it exchanged. I had the receipt, don't know if I would have needed it or not.

Can't help you with who else sells them, check around at hardware and farm supply stores.

Back