M-tronic/Autotune bologna??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad ur all happy with ur saw. I really am. Congrats.

How many other 70cc saws have you "personally" owned and ran? Didn't you just buy that?

So you have 3 months of hard fact, non-bologna-ish, real M-Tronic experience, no?

What I find hilarious that the 7 M-tronic users in the US band together to promote their fancy limited carbs. :laugh:

Hey, wait. Why haven't I been invited to the band?

It's blocking off all the damn holes for the vac test that's a pain lol

The factory block off works good for the lower holes in the inlet pipe, the top, the ole thumb does the job, but be sure to pull out on the inlet pipe......i you push inwards you can hide a torn inlet pipe...........trust me done it.

I'm glad ur all happy with ur saw. I really am. Congrats.

How many other 70cc saws have you "personally" owned and ran? Didn't you just buy that?

So you have 3 months of hard fact, non-bologna-ish, real M-Tronic experience, no?

What I find hilarious that the 7 M-tronic users in the US band together to promote their fancy limited carbs. :laugh:

Actually my 4th one. There was a time in the mid-seventies and early eighties I ran the 044 and a 045 Farm Boss as yard saws cutting 4 foot pulpwood and firewood. One was bought new and the other was given to me. I also briefly owned a McCullough that I got rid of because it was a bear to cold start. I am also old enough to remember twitching with horses.

Who are the other six people?

My cutting buddy here is lookin to sell one of his 441's and getting a CM after trying mine out. He does use his saws to make a living. Funny thing was he tried to talk me out of buying the CM and get a regular one. ;). I used his a couple times last summer which gave me the hankering to get one this year. I hope next spring the 261CM model comes out cause I may pick one up.

Saw now has almost twenty five tankfuls through it and it is quite impressive now that it's broken in. I'm thinking of sending it to mastermind this winter to see what this puppy can really do. Think he's done a couple with very good results.

Last edited:
Actually my 4th one. There was a time in the mid-seventies and early eighties I ran the 044 and a 045 Farm Boss as yard saws cutting 4 foot pulpwood and firewood. One was bought new and the other was given to me. I also briefly owned a McCullough that I got rid of because it was a bear to cold start. I am also old enough to remember twitching with horses.

My cutting buddy here is lookin to sell one of his 441's and getting a CM after trying mine out.

I think there were 3 on this page lol

Ohhhhhh wiggz you pot stirrer you love AT and you know it! :eek:uttahere2:

He's just a grumpy old guy...... :laugh:

What many of you fellers don't know about "The Wiggs" is that he recently had a tuning screwdriver surgically implanted in his fingertip......if AT becomes socially accepted his implant will be out of vogue.... :(

My cutting buddy here is lookin to sell one of his 441's and getting a CM after trying mine out. He does use his saws to make a living. Funny thing was he tried to talk me out of buying the CM and get a regular one. ;). I used his a couple times last summer which gave me the hankering to get one this year. I hope next spring the 261CM model comes out cause I may pick one up.

Saw now has almost twenty five tankfuls through it and it is quite impressive now that it's broken in. I'm thinking of sending it to mastermind this winter to see what this puppy can really do. Think he's done a couple with very good results.

Send it. I'm sure we can keep it ahead of the old 044s that it encounters. :rock:

I really don't see it as a fancy rev limiter. Why does it matter if you have no control over the carb as long as it's where it needs to be? It would be different if it would'nt allow us to port the saw or open up the muffler but it does. I see it as a good thing myself. Some of the guys that use saws for work can make good use of an m-tronic or auto tune carb IMO.
You can't call it a rev limiter unless it limits the carb. It does'nt limit the carb, it limits the tuner. If it limited the carb, then you would'nt be able to mod the saw.

The whole argunment is just people who look forward to new technology -vs- people who don't. If you want to live in the past then thats fine. :msp_tongue:

Is the coils in the m-tronics and auto tune saws rev limited? If i rev it wide open un loaded is it gonna fourstroke or hit a rev limiter?

The 576 had an unlimited coil on it by the part number. I'm not sure what the mtronic has.

Is the coils in the m-tronics and auto tune saws rev limited? If i rev it wide open un loaded is it gonna fourstroke or hit a rev limiter?

I can't say if they are rev limited or not Durand, I've never even had a tach to any of the AT or M-Tronic saws I've done. I would think they are limited at max rpm...

I do know that they maintain rpm in the cut as good or better than any saws I've built......and as we all know it's in the cut that matters.

I'm thinking of sending it to mastermind this winter to see what this puppy can really do. Think he's done a couple with very good results.

It's well worth it....no regrets here. If a 261CM comes out i'll be sending him one of those too.

Send it. I'm sure we can keep it ahead of the old 044s that it encounters. :rock:

lol - now that's funny right there!

LOL!!.... I been chasing this thread along...good topic and one we all will have to deal with as things progress to total EFI... Me?... I'm a points and screwdriver kind of guy....old school.. and works fine as long as the operator understands the limits and possiblities. Here at sea level there is little tweaking needed on any of my saws season in and season out. But when I go to a GTG, even just a bit higher than the saws were tuned to they all run but not as I know they are supposed to and all require just a tiny bit of adjustment. If these self adjusting carbs work then I can see where a guy who regularly cuts from 2500 ft to 4000-5000 ft and up would really appreciate the ability of the saw to take care of that for him/her. Basically most folks despise change..I'm as bad as any....but I also have had to deal with and understand elec ign, EFI and turbo charging in order to survive with my self-sufficient model intact. That said....for the average chainsaw user these system are a god send....and for dealers these systems are a god send...for the mfgrs these systems are a god send...97.8% of chainsaw users are totally ignorant of how to tune and/or maintain a saw properly and don't let's forget that even though you may be a PRO big timber faller and make your daily bread cutting wood does not automatically mean that you are a PRO saw tuner...generally quite the opposite in fact. Not peeing on anyones sneakers but it's true and nor should you need be...these systems will negate the need for you to even try or worry about it. Everyone wins. Just us tweakers lose.....not a bad thing really...by the time any of these early AT units trickle down to me the rest of you guys will be tuning your saws from your laptops....LOL!!!

LOL!!.... I been chasing this thread along...good topic and one we all will have to deal with as things progress to total EFI... Me?... I'm a points and screwdriver kind of guy....old school.. and works fine as long as the operator understands the limits and possiblities. Here at sea level there is little tweaking needed on any of my saws season in and season out. But when I go to a GTG, even just a bit higher than the saws were tuned to they all run but not as I know they are supposed to and all require just a tiny bit of adjustment. If these self adjusting carbs work then I can see where a guy who regularly cuts from 2500 ft to 4000-5000 ft and up would really appreciate the ability of the saw to take care of that for him/her. Basically most folks despise change..I'm as bad as any....but I also have had to deal with and understand elec ign, EFI and turbo charging in order to survive with my self-sufficient model intact. That said....for the average chainsaw user these system are a god send....and for dealers these systems are a god send...for the mfgrs these systems are a god send...97.8% of chainsaw users are totally ignorant of how to tune and/or maintain a saw properly and don't let's forget that even though you may be a PRO big timber faller and make your daily bread cutting wood does not automatically mean that you are a PRO saw tuner...generally quite the opposite in fact. Not peeing on anyones sneakers but it's true and nor should you need be...these systems will negate the need for you to even try or worry about it. Everyone wins. Just us tweakers lose.....not a bad thing really...by the time any of these early AT units trickle down to me the rest of you guys will be tuning your saws from your laptops....LOL!!!

Well said.

I noticed a difference in tune at the same elevation on my saw simply from a temperature standpoint. I work on saws for a living, so tuning really isn't a big deal as far as getting it right. But when I pick up a tool to go do something other than play around, I say every foul word I can think of and even make up some new ones when I have to waste time making adjustments. It has to run perfect or it ain't worth running.

I noticed a difference in tune at the same elevation on my saw simply from a temperature standpoint. I work on saws for a living, so tuning really isn't a big deal as far as getting it right. But when I pick up a tool to go do something other than play around, I say every foul word I can think of and even make up some new ones when I have to waste time making adjustments. It has to run perfect or it ain't worth running.

Yeah but....your saw ain't right TK...!!!LOLOL!!! Works real good that way though!!!LOLOL!!!

i didnt take to the auto tune stuff at first , but i came around. so now when the 562xp big brother comes out sign me up for a couple.

Amen. Bring on the M-tronic brushcutter, etc.

I'm not a tuner, I just want the darn thing to run ... when I want it and get the job done as quickly as possible.

When I buy something, the first thing I look at is reliability. Next is power and price is a distant third. A good tool will pay the difference in price with longevity and reliability.

I still have tools that I bought in my teens that work as well thirty-seven years later as the day I bought them. Case in point are my Milwaukee Magnum tools with the removable cords. I beat the crap out of those tools, mixing grout, drywall mud, 2inch spade bits and they will still try to break your wrist if you are not paying attention. My black and decker bulldawg electric impact wrench is another one that still keeps pounding away.

I don't think the made in china crap they sell today can last and take the abuse. It's cheaper to replace the tools than buy the replacement batteries ... If you can still get them. :(

Stihl and the pro-grade Husky's i've used are like that. You got to maintain them, they reward you back with service.

OTOH, I have bought expensive tools that were pure crap.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back