Mac 1-52

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A good friend of mine, 54 years old, has been telling me for months that his late father left a big Mac in the barn. He finally got around to bringing it out for me to check out. It's a '61-'62 Mac 1-52, 80cc with a 24" bar. It's been setting for like 15 years but ran at that time. Under the cob webs and grime it appears to be in very good condition. The fuel tank is full of milk but doesn't appear to be corroded. I think a good clean up and this thing willbe good to go again. Even most of the paint is still on this saw. Acres LINK

Here's the deal. He wants to sell it to help finance a log splitter. What's this old thing worth?

Sorry about the cell phone pics. I sold my good camera and don't have the new one yet.

367859104_cPLhd-M.jpg
367859222_JP6Q4-M.jpg

367859022_tQBLP-M.jpg
367859352_9pPBG-M.jpg

I've bought several of those, while not the exact same model, they are very similar with subtle and not so subtle differences. Assuming it's not seized, I've paid between $25-$50 for saws in similar condition in my area. They are great old saws, the biggest reason they don't bring more is due to their large numbers of production. They are sure easy to work on and darn near impossible to kill.

It's just about like your 10-10 but larger! I like the old Mac's. They aren't a Stihl but, in my opinion, they have a lot of positives.:cheers:

I just did a quick check on completed eBay auctions. I found a 1-41 and a 1-43 that sold for $30-$40. I'm surprised a big saw like this is worth so little.

A good running one around here would bring 75~100 dollars

Last edited:
Well, they have pluses and minuses. First there a lot of them wich cuts both ways because there lots of parts saws available, thats good. What isn't good is that everybody is selling one so they are not rare. If the 10-10 is like homies xl12 then these 80cc reed valve saws are like the xl700-944 series. Also some of the early ones have mac brand carbs wich are much more difficult to find rebuild kits for. Also they are manual oiler only except for very late modlels in this series. Often they are sold hith hard tip bars and 7 pin paddle wheel sprockets wich do not take the best advantage of the type of power these things have. The points ignition is sometimes viewed as a drawback. Now the good. These 80cc reed valve motors are very strong (read torquey) though not high revvers. They are dirt simple to work on. Later models had tillotson hl carbs with common rebuild parts. I have never seen one with bad seals. So value wise you have a used non running hard tip points ignited saw needing tlc on the low end and a freshly carb rebuilt, 24" sprocket tip bared, 3/8 8 pin rim driven, electronic moduled , cleaned snellerized saw on the high end.

Last edited:
Well, they have pluses and minuses. First there a lot of them wich cuts both ways because there lots of parts saws available, thats good. What isn't good is that everybody is selling one so they are not rare. If the 10-10 is like homies xl12 then these 80cc reed valve saws are like the xl700-944 series. Also some of the early ones have mac brand carbs wich are much more difficult to find rebuild kits for. Also they are manual oiler only except for very late modlels in this series. Often they are sold hith hard tip bars and 7 pin paddle wheel sprockets wich do not take the best advantage of the type of power these things have. The points ignition is sometimes viewed as a drawback. Now the good. These 80cc reed valve motors are very strong (read torquey) though not high revvers. They are dirt simple to work on. Later models had tillotson hl carbs with common rebuild parts. I have never seen one with bad seals. So value wise you have a used non running hard tip points ignited saw needing tlc on the low end and a freshly carb rebuilt, 24" sprocket tip bared, 3/8 8 pin rim driven, electronic moduled , cleaned snellerized saw on the high end.

I've converted more than one flat carb to a Walbro set up. It's really easy as long as you can tap 2 holes in the magnesium housing. The only problem I ever had was with the 2-10's. The top cover did not fit because the carb was too high. This was another easy fix though. Donor covers and tanks are available really cheap. The saw is no longer original but, it was never a collector in the first place. Although, I saved all the original parts anyway. The flat carbs were functional, just a PITA to tune and I got tired of hunting down the parts.

Last edited:
I've converted more than one flat carb to a Walbro set up. It's really easy as long as you can tap 2 holes in the magnesium housing. The only problem I ever had was with the 2-10's. The top cover did not fit because the carb was too high. This was another easy fix though. Donor covers and tanks are available really cheap. The saw is no longer original but, it was never a collector in the first place. Although, I saved all the original parts anyway. The flat carbs were functional, just a PITA to tune and I got tired of hunting down the parts.

You are right of course but I think that Brad is a bit more of a stickler for originality. BTW Brad yours has the spike, cool, not many of them do at this point. If it has the mac carb (wich I think this model does, unless converted earlier) and it needs a kit, give "Bobs lawnmower engine" a call at 607-638-9297. He will be back in town monday 9/15/. He has always had what I have needed and just sold me a kit for a mac 797 carb. Also there are two rim drive sprockets for these saws that can be had in 3/8 8pin in ebay stores right now.

You are right of course but I think that Brad is a bit more of a stickler for originality. BTW Brad yours has the spike, cool, not many of them do at this point. If it has the mac carb (wich I think this model does, unless converted earlier) and it needs a kit, give "Bobs lawnmower engine" a call at 607-638-9297. He will be back in town monday 9/15/. He has always had what I have needed and just sold me a kit for a mac 797 carb. Also there are two rim drive sprockets for these saws that can be had in 3/8 8pin in ebay stores right now.

Bob is the best, he sure loves his bike riding. I've purchased a lot of items from him over the years including his remaining inventory on those 4 tooth spikes, unless he got more since March. He still has the 5 tooth versions available.

Bob is the best, he sure loves his bike riding. I've purchased a lot of items from him over the years including his remaining inventory on those 4 tooth spikes, unless he got more since March. He still has the 5 tooth versions available.

Those are some of the fiercest looking spikes ever to come stock on a saw. I just ordered a pair of the 5 tooth, but not from Bob. Now that I know hes still has some version of mac spike sleft I will have to keep that in mind.

Local here and in the Columbus area anywhere from $50-200+ depending on who is involved, condition, and desire. I would seldom pay over $100.00 for the more common large Macs in non working order. There have been a few working ones fetching well over 300.00 at the auctions and the price has been up lately on ones in need of repair do to all the get rich on EBay a$$es.

Solid saws and that one is in nice shape. If he is a friend $100.00, it is in the middle of what it could easily be for the both of you.

I just noticed how much paint is still on the cylinder cooling fins and is there still black paint on the muffler? Ya done good Brad ya done good. Unless there is some major unforseen issue with this saw you will have a nice machine when you are done.

Back