Mac 1-52

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, those old macs go from $20-$50. Seems a shame for a good old saw like that, but everyone wants the latest and greatest. Sometimes I thinks they would go higher on e-bay, but the cost os shipping nowadays throws a lot of people off.

...is there still black paint on the muffler?

I believe there is. It certainly isn't rusted up. I'm thinking this saw will get a more gentle cleaning than normal and the original finish retained. Most of the paint is still there. This saw certainly didn't spend a lot of time riding around in the bed of a truck. Just setting in a barn and cutting firewood.

Never EBay, just local. I do not follow Ebay. Macs are fairly common around here and the one in your photo seems to be in better condition then most I have seen.

One thing I forgot brad. All the macs from this family that I have seen have had that hole in the side of the airbox, but not had a cover or grommet and since that hole is under the air filter you will want to plug it. I know that with your industrious nature you should be able to come up with something for this purpose that will not ruin the original look of the thing.:)

One thing I forgot brad. All the macs from this family that I have seen have had that hole in the side of the airbox, but not had a cover or grommet and since that hole is under the air filter you will want to plug it. I know that with your industrious nature you should be able to come up with something for this purpose that will not ruin the original look of the thing.:)

I had already noticed that was missing. I was hoping you had a spare:) Sure explains all the chips in the air box.

I had already noticed that was missing. I was hoping you had a spare:) Sure explains all the chips in the air box.

Nope no spares. I have a bunch of these saws and none of them had a cover for that hole including the very-close-to-new 250 that I have. I had to make one that I swap around to wichever one I am running at the time.

air box cover

My 1-40 has the original cover and by the looks of it, you can use a knock-out from an electrical box. The kind you can push in and push out. I'll try to take a pic an PM it to you tomorrow.
Drew

Nope no spares. I have a bunch of these saws and none of them had a cover for that hole including the very-close-to-new 250 that I have. I had to make one that I swap around to wichever one I am running at the time.

I've been lucky, all mine have them. :clap:

I'm a little disappointed this morning. I pulled the 1-52 all the way down. All the big parts are in the washer and I was cleaning up the piston and crank. The crank is shot. The big end journal is very galded through about 180*. It even has flat spots worn in it. The wierd part is that the rod looks perfect. I wonder what the chances are of finding a used crank? I'm sure glad I didn't just try to fire it up like so many do. I always like to take them all the way down so that I know exactly what I've got. And here I was planning on having this thing cleaned up and running this evening:( .

I wonder if either of these would have worked? LINK, LINK

Last edited:
Thanks Calvin. Do those numbers on the crank in the first pic mean anything?

Here's some camcorder shots of the crank. What would cause one to fail like this? The main crank bearings are good.

The saw is entirely cleaned up and put in a box while I search for a crank. I also think a needle was missing from the bearing. Anyone got some spares? This crank has about a 3/4" stroke and is 7 1/2" long.

368751327_M7Hoe-M.jpg
368751331_2bu3Y-M.jpg

368751245_2Rawm-M.jpg
368751454_fQ6Zj-M.jpg

368751548_MbKRv-M.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little disappointed this morning. I pulled the 1-52 all the way down. All the big parts are in the washer and I was cleaning up the piston and crank. The crank is shot. The big end journal is very galded through about 180*. It even has flat spots worn in it. The wierd part is that the rod looks perfect. I wonder what the chances are of finding a used crank? I'm sure glad I didn't just try to fire it up like so many do. I always like to take them all the way down so that I know exactly what I've got. And here I was planning on having this thing cleaned up and running this evening:( .

I wonder if either of these would have worked? LINK, LINK

You know, if you had fired up that 1-50 and ran it all day, you may not have ever noticed the bad journals.......honestly.

I bet a lot of these old Macs internals look that bad--and they still start and run.........

Being built like a tank has its advantages :D

Casey

Ive seen wheel bearings on trucks and forklifts get like that. Nobody ever told me why thay did that just to replace. Maybe excessive clearance?:)

My Dad came up with a theory. There's a significant gouge in the side of the case. He thought maybe it had previously thrown a rod and the crank was damaged at that time. The rod was then replaced but the old crank used. We'll never know.

Latest posts

Back