Mac 1-52

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad.....if you have a crank shaft repair place locally they can weld up that crank and regrind it to proper spec but it may be more than you want to spend.

You will need new needles.....that is corrosion damage from left over combustion products combined with moisture from sitting without oiling up before storage.

Yeah, I'd rather just find a cheap used crankshaft somewhere. I think I'm just going to buy the one I linked in the last post and see if it fits. It's a 1.5" stroke so I can't loose much at $5 + shipping.

There are two different cranks in that listing....the first pic with one bearing looks like a 1 3/8ths stroke and 9/16ths output shaft..yours would be 5/8ths.

The second crank with two bearings looks like 1 1/2 stroke is either a gear drive saw or a kart crank with a tapered and keyed output shaft....I would say most likely a kart crank.

More than two months later, the 1-52 is running again. I finally got the crankshaft today. With this being the only large Mac I've ever had apart, it was fun figuring out how everything went back together after that much time.

There are a few things left to do, but it's mostly done. The biggest issue I have is that the replacement crankshaft wasn't identical. It takes a different clutch and drum. The original crankshaft had no taper and the clutch threaded onto the end of the shaft. The one I installed is tapered and has a key. I'm assuming a nut then holds the clutch on. Also, the flat of the shaft where the drum rides is smaller, so I'll need a new drum as well. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the crank came out of a 450. The bore and stroke was the same, obviously, so I wasn't anticipating this. I'm just glad it went in the saw even though I've got to find a few more parts. Getting a crank for this thing was not easy so I'm just happy it's running. You'll notice some damage on the crank by the key, but that won't be a problem for me. This saw will see little use.

The only other issue I can think of is that the bar cover hits the bottom of the oil tank. The oil tank bolts to the back of the fuel tank and I'm wondering if I could loosen the bolts and slide it up a little. It had to have been close from the factory because you can see where it's rubbed and the bar cover is even cracked there. Any input here would be appreciated.

416081930_JPGdS-M.jpg
416081865_TzaUx-M.jpg

416087986_xjKAs-M.jpg
416082048_pSpQ7-M.jpg

416082087_xbTSR-M.jpg

Original crankshaft.
416082144_L3qus-M.jpg

Replacement crankshaft. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed from a 450? What other models share the same clutch and drum?
416082103_yyq3g-M.jpg

It's amazing what a little, or a lot, of clean up can do.
367859104_cPLhd-M.jpg

Last edited:
I went and looked at the crank in the 440 on my bench and that is the type that it has.

The 1-xx saws on the shelf all have the clutch with the threads and hex built in.

The 300,380,440 have the crank like you have just put in.

The 15, 200/250 and all 1-xx seem to have the the type that was originally installed.

Is there a washer that goes on before the drum? I just want to make sure I get all the parts I need for the conversion.

Here's a list of the parts I need.

1. Bolt and nut at tail of handle.
  2. Clutch, drum, and any related hardware.
  3. One screw for recoil housing.
  4. Fuel filter.
  5. One screw and nut for dawg.
  6. Spark plug. What's the proper plug?
  7. Grommet or what ever fills the large hole where the fuel line enters the carb box.
  8. Grommet that goes in carb box around needle screws.

Gotta get 'er done before lightning strikes? I was wondering what happened to the 1-52. Looking good, as usual.

I just bought the clutch and drum but still need the other items.

1. Bolt and nut at tail of handle.
2. Any hardware related to the clutch and drum. I think there's a washer that goes behind the drum, a nut to hold the clutch on, and a key for the slot.
3. One screw for recoil housing.
4. One screw and nut for dawg.
5. Grommet or what ever fills the large hole where the fuel line enters the carb box.
6. Grommet that goes in carb box around needle screws.

Cool find!

Ebay price?--$50-$100

Face to face?--$50, maybe $40......

Casey

Didn't see this thread the first go round. I bought one of those off a guy's front lawn at a yeard sale 3ish years ago for $3 and sold it the next day for $45 in a flea market setting where most of the dealers were antiques and collectibles vendors.

Guy saw it on the back of the truck, asked what I wanted. Figured I'd try $50. He counterd $40 and we split the difference, meeting at the middle where cash changed hands.

A little help?

Brad,

Do you have an IPL for the 1-52 and the 450? If so, Bob (607 638 9297) should be able to help you out if you give him the part numbers.

If you need either IPL let me know and I can send one; I have an original for the 1-52 I can copy and scan, 450 is already on computer.

OEM fuel lines varied, most were just large O.D. to fill the hole, later versions had a sort of gromment molded right in to the fuel line. Bob may have one of those as well, PN 50097.

Gromment for carburetor/air box should be 57105.
Key for the clutch (450) is 103879
Washer for the clutch (450 with spur sprocket) is 51420.
Nut for the clutch (450) is 103746 - flexloc
Bolt at the tail of the handle is 104435, nut is 10-24 nylock or similar 101191.
Screw for the starter is 10-24x3/4 pan head 104396.
I don't think there are separate part numbers for the screw/nut/washer for the spike, it was always sold as a kit, 61330 for the 5 tooth kit and 61331 for the 4 tooth kit.

Anything you can't find let me know as I may be able to help.

Mark

Back