Mac Clutch removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oregon_Native

Oregon_Native

ArboristSite Operative
I need to replace the clutch bell bearing on my power mac 610.
I got the IPL from ozflea but i cant tell how it comes of after the large nut on the crank need to know if it requires a puller or if it requires a trick? :dizzy:

TonyM

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
I assume you have the nut off. Screw the nut back on so that it is flush with the end of the crankshaft threads. Get a brass hammer or brass rod and regular hammer, and give the nut/crank progressively harder blows until she pops.

TonyM

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
It's all about inertia, and I don't think the rubber mallet will do it. Another trick would be to suspend the saw by the clutch. A couple of pieces of angle iron under the edge of clutch and sitting on some blocks with the saw hanging sideways below would do. Then the weight of the saw is helping you, instead of absorbing some of the blow. The taper on the clutch is fairly steep, so it doesn't usually lock up that hard. To be honest, I'd use a ball peen hammer directly, but you have to be careful to get the nut exactly flush with the threads, and you have to hit it perfectly square, or you stand a chance of damaging the threads. Brass is a good compromise, and will give a little.

Oregon_Native

Oregon_Native

ArboristSite Operative
When all else fail's Get a bigger Hammer!

the brass hammer did the job well.

now that it is off i notice that the splines on the bell don't exactly match those on the rim.

also the sheet metal cover behind has a big groove in it and a hole or two along with just being beat to a pulp. :dizzy:

i now need to order the bearing but was wondering if the one Oregon has listed for the 610 fits all 610's i might just buy a new bell to if the spline are not supposed to look like they do.

Last edited:

Latest posts