Maine fatality- 5 yr old boy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And sometimes my wife wonders why I sometimes get so hysterical about accountability of the little ones when we are doing anything involving chainsaws and the like. She doesn't much like it when I tell her "You THINK he's *fill in the blank* isn't good enough!" I don't care if she doesn't like it. When it comes to children and dangerous work, "I think" is not good enough!

It only takes once....

And sometimes my wife wonders why I sometimes get so hysterical about accountability of the little ones when we are doing anything involving chainsaws and the like. She doesn't much like it when I tell her "You THINK he's *fill in the blank* isn't good enough!" I don't care if she doesn't like it. When it comes to children and dangerous work, "I think" is not good enough!

It only takes once....

I agree entirely, except I make sure I know where everyone on the property is. OR at least isn't!

What a tragedy. That is a very sad situation. I've had those type tree stumps to "set-up" after the cut is made.

I agree entirely, except I make sure I know where everyone on the property is. OR at least isn't!

Believe me, I DO make sure. But once the loud and dangerous machinery is started, it's hard to watch the little ones.

I make sure they all know where the boundaries are BEFORE anything starts, but I expect the wife & older kids to make sure they are obeyed.

Didn't a very similar event happen earlier this year? Apparently, those little kids just can't resist a good hole in the ground...

I just cringe to think about how many trees I have flopped back into the hole. I never checked for little people when I started the saw.

Last edited:
oh man

my heart goes out to that family.
i had one get away from me in the yard 6 months ago. the guy with me thought it was weird that i wasn't mad, but all i could do was grin since i had put my kids in the jeep with a dvd player and drove it 400 feet from the house.
that kinda accident is my worst nightmare

Tragic, absolutely. But why a story about some guy doing yard work when he should have been watching the kids? I don't see the point in posting this article, it's not arboricultural related.

You really should have read the link. The article states "The boy’s grandfather was unaware that the child was playing near the uprooted tree when he began to cut and remove the tree."

Root balls on blown over trees are both dangerous and "arboricultural related". Dead children caused by blown over trees are "arboricultural injury related". Certainly any professional tree worker who might be inspired by this story to be more cautious while removing a blown over tree will have benefited.

Does that explain the point?

Last edited:
This did not happen professionally or within the industry. Perhaps I should post the story about my idiot buddy who broke his wrist falling out of a ten foot cedar. He climbed it to get on his roof to clean his gutters.

i grew up the next town over from there, really hoping its no one i knew. done more than 25 trees just like that because of that storm.

i was the kid that was always in the way. i ran to close to dad with a saw once. i didnt get hurt, didnt even get close in my 5 year old eyes. i didnt understand why dad was screamin at me. now i understand and watch out for the kids like me.

doing a tree today i had a homeowner try to help chip brush, after telling me he had polio in one arm. i was as respectful as could be with the chipper up on screech. he took it well.

Tragic, absolutely. But why a story about some guy doing yard work when he should have been watching the kids? I don't see the point in posting this article, it's not arboricultural related.

Lots of non pros read these threads. Everytime I read about someone elses mistake/misfortune it makes me stop and think before I work out in my woods.

This did not happen professionally or within the industry. ...

The title of the forum is "Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities". There is no mention of doing arboriculture for a living, or excluding anyone killed by a tree who was not an arborist swinging from a tree.

Arboriculture (pronounced /ˈɑrbərɨkʌltʃər/), is the cultivation, management, and study of individual trees, shrubs, vines, and other perennial woody plants. It is both a practice and a science.

You are quibbling over a silly point in a thread that does not merit any question whatsoever about it's placement; furthermore, you are wrong.

And that is the last I have to say on the topic.

The title of the forum is "Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities". There is no mention of doing arboriculture for a living, or excluding anyone killed by a tree who was not an arborist swinging from a tree.

Arboriculture (pronounced /ˈɑrbərɨkʌltʃər/), is the cultivation, management, and study of individual trees, shrubs, vines, and other perennial woody plants. It is both a practice and a science.

You are quibbling over a silly point in a thread that does not merit any question whatsoever about it's placement; furthermore, you are wrong.

And that is the last I have to say on the topic.

:D Could not have said it better! Rep sent...:yourock:

Latest posts

Back