Maintaining a ported saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainewoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am curious to know the methods that everyone uses to keep their ported saws maintained, in order to ensure the longest possible service time. Any and all "tricks of the trade", so to speak, would be very informative. Not only to me, but to all the ever increasing number of ported saw owners who have made the step up to PSA ( ported saw addiction). I for one would like to have the peace of mind knowing I am doing everything possible to assure the longevity of my saw.

For sure on the general maintenance. It just seems that these " high strung" little beauties would benefit from some kind of extra treatment. Plug type- oil mix- filter system,etc. Didn't want to make it an oil or gas mix thread. Just suggestions that the "average Joe" might not think about or aren't aware of. Experience is the best teacher.:)

Embrace the disease, your not alone.
Quite a few of us here on A.S. suffer from PSA. Once you get one saw ported, the other saws just don't appeal as they once did....Believe me, it's a slippery slope.
To your question:
It's been beat to death lately, but probably a good Idea to switch to a quality full synthetic oil if you haven't already.
I changed over to 32:1 Belray H1R, as I was getting significant carbon build up on several of my saws with another synthetic oil even @ 50:1.(as a stock-saws)
I was informed that this build-up can start to be a problem with the higher compression of a ported work saw.
Also, make sure your exhaust screens/air filter are good and clean on a consistent basis to keep them breathing right. (That goes for all OPE Really)

Embrace the disease, your not alone.
Quite a few of us here on A.S. suffer from PSA. Once you get one saw ported, the other saws just don't appeal as they once did....Believe me, it's a slippery slope.
How true that is! I loved my nib 2171 until I met my ported 2186. The 2186 is just plain fun with any bar on it!

Reading the latest oil thread, on mix ratio, is what influenced me the most to start this thread actually. I am just looking for more specific details on how some of the longer tenured ported chainsaw users are running their saws. Seems that just like thoroughbred horses, these thoroughbred saws would require( prefer) a little more "maintenance" than a stock saw. As far as I am concerned any detail, on specific ( oil-plug- filter-etc) usage, is useful information.

Oh god oil threads :buttkick:Ive heard so many theories on that subject it makes my head spin :dizzy:..i get non eth fuel and mix at 40:1 with good synthetic oil mainly stihl because i can drive a mile to get it and run it in all my saws ported or not and go cut wood , not a single issue yet

Clean saw, clean air filter, good oil mixed properly with good gas, Discard gas thats a month old, replace plug and the most important, ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE TUNE OF YOUR SAW. I have said this before, EVERY saw operator should be IN TUNE with HIS saw.
just wondering what a person should do with old gas, lets say 2-3 months old i would still use it generally. but i have added some to a 4 stroke snow blower
and fourwheeler didnt seem to hurt anything, hell i ran out of gas with my truck once and used a gallon of chainsaw mix i had in the back worked fine and it was an 08 F250 . i mean if it was a small amount i could see dumping it or burning it, but lets say 2 gallons.

Put it in the mower, car, truck, anything 4 stroke that will hold it. I use gas up to 3 months since it's E free. I wouldn't use ethanol of any kind over a month old.

I've heard you can mix it in your automobile and run it, have also heard its hard on injectors....

I'd think just 2 gal to a nearly full tank wouldn't hurt anything though.

Dump the old gas in your truck! For me anything over 6 weeks!
Heard some good advice! But really besides good synthetic oil, most important thing I've always found in 40 years of running saws is to blow em off with compressed air after you use them, ported or not! And like what was mentioned; when the chain dulls shut the saw off and sharpen chain, switch em, or grab another saw with a sharp chain!!

Back