Maintaining a ported saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a thread asking about the longest tenured ported saw going on at the moment. Be interesting how long these ported saws are capable of running- with good care. I have great faith in the builders on AS and want to be sure I am doing everything I can to keep this saw in tip top shape. Just want to pick peoples brains and see what has worked for them. As much as the discussion of oil mix bothers some people, it has always seemed to me like it was the most important step in assuring the longevity of any 2 stroke engine. Where else can you find so much information from people who have tried them all but on AS. Experience is the best teacher and I find it invaluable to be able to tap into that information. I don't think you can discuss oil mix too much, it's that critical.

I agree .325 will kick back more...3/8 is smoother. I use a 16" bar and cut up red oak almost exclusively for firewood. Limbing, blocking, the whole works up to 24"-26". If staying in 14"-16" hardwood I'd prolly go 3/8 all the time. Now 24" hardwood might seem too much for a 50cc saw but I don't get into that size a lot.

Shows what I know. I was under the impression (never had a saw that ran .325) that .325 was smoother than 3/8s.

Shows what I know. I was under the impression (never had a saw that ran .325) that .325 was smoother than 3/8s.
Wap13 I'm gonna do a little comparison with 3/8 and .325 again to give 3/8 on our 261'C' a second chance. Im almost 100% positive .325 is faster on our saws but that is not the only thing to consider. I was out cutting just yesterday and like I said before I never felt I was abusing the saw using a 16" .325 7t setup in green red oak. I still have a 3/8 16" stihl es bar and 7t 3/8 rim to use. I'll post my findings.

Wap13 I'm gonna do a little comparison with 3/8 and .325 again to give 3/8 on our 261'C' a second chance. Im almost 100% positive .325 is faster on our saws but that is not the only thing to consider. I was out cutting just yesterday and like I said before I never felt I was abusing the saw using a 16" .325 7t setup in green red oak. I still have a 3/8 16" stihl es bar and 7t 3/8 rim to use. I'll post my findings.

Looking forward to it. I run a 18" 3/8s .050 right now but wouldnt mind trying 325 on an 18.

To the OP, sorry for the derail.

It's all good. The .325 vs. 3/8 debate has been tossed around a lot on here and it doesn't appear there is a definitive answer. Guys with racing machines use the best oil- tires-plugs-filters- fluids etc. so it just makes sense that ported saw users want the best for their saws too. It certainly must contribute to the longevity of the saw, and that was my intention for starting this thread to find out what others, with more time on a ported saw, are doing to their saws to achieve the longest possible running time.

There is no doubt a 50cc will pull a 3/8 chain, and well. But it is a bit odd that the smaller-lower horsepower 40cc Husqvarnas come stock with 3/8, while most,if not all, 50cc class come with a .325 setup. Obviously if a 40cc can pull 3/8, a 50cc can. The husqvarna engineers recommend it for a reason.

There is no doubt a 50cc will pull a 3/8 chain, and well. But it is a bit odd that the smaller-lower horsepower 40cc Husqvarnas come stock with 3/8, while most,if not all, 50cc class come with a .325 setup. Obviously if a 40cc can pull 3/8, a 50cc can. The husqvarna engineers recommend it for a reason.

Are the 40cc models coming will full 3/8s? Or is it 3/8s lopro?

I have had mostly older 40cc - 141-142-240 and those came with lo-pro. I believe the 300's and up come with full 3/8's.

Latest posts

Back