Maintaining a ported saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see... I cut what I need to cut with it, then I put it back on the floor in the garage. Of course this is a masterminded 394. If I had a Snellerized Stihl, I'd keep it in a mahogany case under a velvet tea cozy:D

Randy has been more than generous with his advice. I am only asking in case I am missing something. I have changed the oil mix ratio to 40:1 as suggested, and gone to Belray. Just seems as though there is more I could be doing to insure the longevity of my saw. I am pretty sure other ported saw owners would be interested in any and all suggestions given. If my saw develops any issues , it will be my fault not Randy's, and I definitely don't want that to happen because of my ignorance.

If I get old mix, which is rare, it goes in the mower. I've run a stump grinder on 50-1 for a short while, it's gone in my car, a friends car, as long as it's mixed with a bit of neat fuel it seems fine. My 288xp looks like it was shot down during WWII so it stays in the tipper truck box, my other saws get taken out every time it tips mulch, much to the bosses amusement. Just can't bring myself to leave them there even though two are in bags. Call me pedantic but dirt comes off, scratch don't :)

Randy has been more than generous with his advice. I am only asking in case I am missing something. I have changed the oil mix ratio to 40:1 as suggested, and gone to Belray. Just seems as though there is more I could be doing to insure the longevity of my saw. I am pretty sure other ported saw owners would be interested in any and all suggestions given. If my saw develops any issues , it will be my fault not Randy's, and I definitely don't want that to happen because of my ignorance.
I am curious as to what's wrong with factory oil? I don't want to start a pissing match but what is wrong with Jonsered oil or XP oil or ultra or dolmar or echo? Please in all honesty I'm not calling anyone out here, but what's wrong with the oil they recommend for and sell for your saw?

Mike I run Amsoil Sabre only because it is way cheaper than running the Stihl. I have no following to any brand beyond how fast it unloads my wallet. I do run it a little thicker than 50-1 though

I am curious to know the methods that everyone uses to keep their ported saws maintained, in order to ensure the longest possible service time. Any and all "tricks of the trade", so to speak, would be very informative. Not only to me, but to all the ever increasing number of ported saw owners who have made the step up to PSA ( ported saw addiction). I for one would like to have the peace of mind knowing I am doing everything possible to assure the longevity of my saw.

I will just repeat what has been said ......................

32:1 or better with synthetic 2 cycle oil and a proper tune with a clean air filter and a sharp chain !!!!!!!!!!!

I've been running chainsaws for 50 years and always used Husqvarna oil. Never burned up a saw yet. But those were older saws and the oil was a lot different in those days. These new saws seem to be a whole different animal. When professional builders suggest a better oil, and have been inside a saw, I tend to listen. Personally I have never had an issue with the oil I have used in the past, but times change I guess.

I am curious as to what's wrong with factory oil? I don't want to start a pissing match but what is wrong with Jonsered oil or XP oil or ultra or dolmar or echo? Please in all honesty I'm not calling anyone out here, but what's wrong with the oil they recommend for and sell for your saw?

Mike there's nothing wrong with it when mixed at 32-40:1. It's cheaper for me to run bike oils than a husky xp oil. Stihl oil gives me a headache.

Thank you all for you honest and clean input. I hear all this talk about belray, amsoil, etc etc and was wondering what was wrong with OEM. I run Jonsered @ 40:1 and have not had a problem and my dealer has a tree service and that's what he runs. I bet there is 100 empty mix bottles next to the fuel barrell.

Last edited:
Same here, used 50-1 Stihl mineral in stock saws for all my working life, never had a problem unless someone else used them. Then got a ported saw and went to 40-1, after Randy's oil failure thread I'm on 35-1 full synthetic, just in case really

Yup. That's also probably the single most over looked saw maintenance item that there is!

I've been guilty of it myself a time or two also............:laugh:
As already mentioned spark plug clean air filter all of that is no good if you don't have fresh fuel I run my saws at 40.1 and have never had any engine issues not enough equals engine failure

Panda. Q

Ok my 8 month old posted that part. Not sure what she meant by it but she was talking up a storm in her language. If you can get e free gas I wouldn't be afraid of mix up to 3 months old.

Last edited:
Good point on the clutch and bearing. Any particular brand better than the other? I don't want a Chinese copy just to save a few bucks. I also think a 3/8 setup would be a little better suited to handle the high rpms that my 346 puts out. I've heard .325 is supposedly faster in the cut, but sacrificing a little speed is fine with me if it means a sturdier setup. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back