Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah those are the right cutters, I will take some pics of my lefts tommorrow. They look about the same it just took me a bit longer. The right cutters really didnt take me too long once I had a feel for it. The other side of the chain though...it seemed like every tooth was like I was starting over again. It seemed to help it I held my left pointer finger next to the tooth and ran the file over that finger to keep me going straight. Does that make sense? Any pointers?

Yeah those are the right cutters, I will take some pics of my lefts tommorrow. They look about the same it just took me a bit longer. The right cutters really didnt take me too long once I had a feel for it. The other side of the chain though...it seemed like every tooth was like I was starting over again. It seemed to help it I held my left pointer finger next to the tooth and ran the file over that finger to keep me going straight. Does that make sense? Any pointers?

Hey, if it works for you thats what matters. I file the left cutters from the front and the rights from the side. Maybe its just me...

I stand a little closer to the saw when doing left side cutters, it helps me hold the angle. The right side seems natural to me and like you said, kind of awkward for left cutters and I have to move the file around until I feel it. Move just a little closer to the saw and see what you think, for me, it makes the stoke easier to hold the angle.

Do any of you use something to hold the chain besides just sitting on the bar on the saw. It seemed like it does chatter a bit , it would be nice if I could hold the chain so it couldn't move. I started looking at the vice on my oregol 511ax thinking I need something like that.

Do any of you use something to hold the chain besides just sitting on the bar on the saw. It seemed like it does chatter a bit , it would be nice if I could hold the chain so it couldn't move. I started looking at the vice on my oregol 511ax thinking I need something like that.
A piece of wood or something wedged between the bar and chain on the bottom. I heard some even say they overtighten the chain but i tension normally and use a piece of lexan(the same one used for racker filing) stuck between the chain and bar. When i cut the lexan having this in mind i made it in an L shape and wedge the short side in the b/c.This is to square file a round chain or badly dull or damaged square one. Most touch up sharpening i don't use anything but my left hand to stabilize it.

I use a scrench in the bottom of the bar to tighten the chain a little more if I'm going to file on the saw. I use a bar in a vise with vise grips holding the chain tight.

I clamp the bar in a vise at waist level. I have it mounted on a pallot in the back of the truck and just pull down the tailgate when I sharpen. Use left hand to hold the chain and right hand the file, let's me feel the what's happening. Just how I learned.

On the Atop thing. . . Just wait.

A new, less costly, version is going to come out.

I have not heard the eta, but know it's developed.

Checking in on progress

Stock chain Treemonkey'd 440: 3.3s
Race chain 1st filing Treemonkey'd 440: 2.5s
Race chain 2nd filing Treemonkey'd 440: 2.4s
Out-of-the-box Square ground chain Treemonkey'd 440: 2.2s
1st filing of square ground chain on Treemonkey'd 440: 1.9s:msp_w00t:
Stock chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.8s
Race chain Treemonkey'd 064: 2.2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TsT-lSFwbtM

LINK:IMG 1782 - YouTube

[video=youtube;TsT-lSFwbtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TsT-lSFwbtM[/video]

Last edited:
I think I am going to like this square ground chain. I am anxious to try it on my Tree monkeyed 064 and my Stumpkita 7900 and ALL of my other saws. I didn't do anything to the chain since I posted the pictures of it the other night. If I have time I will do some more filing and metal removal from it tommorrow. I am kind of busy getting ready for my gtg this saturday.

this is no race chain ,but how my work chains come out ,first i use the silvey cut them square ,then i thow the chain in the oregon grinder and carve the gullet out ,the black on the edge of the gutter is grime off my gotton gloves i wear so dont cut my hands when sharpening ,this chain was real messed up ,i was demoing a wall and it hit some nails ,and sheetrock ,also a window frame that was aluminum ,it took about 3-4 sharpenings worth of material to get back to good tooth material View attachment 253629

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back