Making a race chain for gtg's. Help appreciated.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, seems an awfull lot of money for what it is. Just asking. Anyhow I just got in from the shop trying my hands at hand filing my first ever square ground. Wasn't too bad I definitely struggled with the left side cutters, I felt a bit retarded. I felt like I made some good edges on the right side but it was real hard to get the left side done, it took me twice as long. I will go back out in a bit and take a few pics of what I have done and when the wife gets home I will do a couple of cuts and post a video. If the time is an improvement I might go and try to do some other things to the teeth, file back side, work a little on the rakers, kind of do what I did to my round ground.

I need some historical info...
When fella's were hand filing square ground chain before the save edge double bevel, what type of file did they use most commonly???:confused:

Oberg has been around for a long time. I wish I had about 10 dozen of them. I only have a handful and they're nice.

The shape is the same. The teeth are less aggressive it seems like. Makes a real nice finish and doesn't seem to need as much pressure to make a stroke.

The shape is the same. The teeth are less aggressive it seems like. Makes a real nice finish and doesn't seem to need as much pressure to make a stroke.

I been focusing on the round filed chains lately... Time to address this square ground loop some good Samaritan gave me...

I been focusing on the round filed chains lately... Time to address this square ground loop some good Samaritan gave me...

If it don't work out you have my address. I'll grind it again for you. I will be home the weekends for the next few weeks so I'll have time to get them done if they're waiting on me on friday when I get home.

If there were more demand for square the price would come down on the grinders.
It seems like the not staying sharp and square just being suitable for softwoods and larger displacement saws is over stated.
Not that my opinion matters much..

I enjoy using square filed chains but do still the majority of my cutting with round filed simply because it does hold up better. Dozer piles and easement areas are just not square friendly. It will do a number on nice clean Ash and Oak trees though.

I enjoy using square filed chains but do still the majority of my cutting with round filed simply because it does hold up better. Dozer piles and easement areas are just not square friendly. It will do a number on nice clean Ash and Oak trees though.

It will cut Hedge pretty well too...
As long as its clean and fresh...
Just don't hit a fence...
Just sayin'...:msp_rolleyes:

Two things that help my square chains live are sharpening before the cutters begin to skid over the wood and keeping the side plate as close to 90 degs as possible and still self feed, (and the rakers are part of of this too). The 45 deg side plate and under the toplate angles may not be optimal for speed but are way better than you can get round filing, imo.
I'm talking work chain on these angles

Goy one comimg this week the one I'm getting is a save edge. This thread has given a lot of good pointers. takes 37 stokes to file bake the gullet on a new sqaure ground chain:msp_sad::msp_sad:. I'm going to use a grinder oln the next on if it will work.

Two things that help my square chains live are sharpening before the cutters begin to skid over the wood and keeping the side plate as close to 90 degs as possible and still self feed, (and the rakers are part of of this too). The 45 deg side plate and under the toplate angles may not be optimal for speed but are way better than you can get round filing, imo.
I'm talking work chain on these angles

More metal to support the point makes sense for durability...

More metal to support the point makes sense for durability...
It can make a heck of a difference on the point not being pushed down if the chain stops cutting at speed and overheats in a heart beat.
A lot of cutter life can be lost in a little time not to mention the time it takes to get it cutting again.

It will cut Hedge pretty well too...
As long as its clean and fresh...
Just don't hit a fence...
Just sayin'...:msp_rolleyes:

Don't see much Hedge. T-post, wire fencing and chain link seem to grow like trees around here. Seems to fubar the square a bit more than the round, probably because the corner is thinner and the working edges are thinner further back into the plates.

Here is the pic of Andy's 1st attempt @ square filing. Not sure how well these pics turned out. Didn't have time to make a cut- had gun club meeting... Will try tomorrow
umemetap.jpg
8uzeby6e.jpg
3asevuty.jpg

Latest posts

Back