Makita 520 oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmore

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Experiencing inadequate oil to the bar and chain on my Makita DCS 520i, I inspected the tank and found what appeared to be petroleum jelly around the rubber pick-up tube. I guess it was used in the installation. I swabbed it a little and got some out and it appeared to be oiling a little better for awhile but with it adjusted for maximum oil output I still think that it is not flowing properly and it may have some gunk impeding the flow. What solvent could I safely put in the tank to clean any suspected petroleum jelly out with and is there any that could be run safely through the pump?

The substance is a silicone paste. I would take the pickup line out of the saw and either replace it or clean it real good. I am not sure what would be the best to clean the silicone out. The DCS-520i was discontinued from production several years ago and am thinking the paste has set up and not allowing the oil to pass through. Probably the best way to clear the tube would be replacing it with a new one.

Dolmar_Tech_Mgr said:
The substance is a silicone paste. I would take the pickup line out of the saw and either replace it or clean it real good. I am not sure what would be the best to clean the silicone out. The DCS-520i was discontinued from production several years ago and am thinking the paste has set up and not allowing the oil to pass through. Probably the best way to clear the tube would be replacing it with a new one.
Is that covered under my warranty? :laugh: Seriously!

Chris J. said:
Elmore, you got that saw so cheap it didn't come with a warranty :laugh:!
Yeah...and no support either...except for what I can find here on AS.
Really, it is under warranty until some time, early, next year. Ten years or so old but purchased new, this year, 2005.
highpoint-utd, I think they stopped selling these about ten years ago here in the U.S. but I still see them advertised as new in Europe and Australia. Great little 52cc saw. It runs better every time I use it. Starts right up even though it doesn't have a choke. Lots of torque.

How about if I rinse the tank out with kerosene then run some bar oil thinned with kerosene through it and/or run a little bit of straight kerosene through the system. I don't want to pull the clutch and oil pump to get to the oil suction line if I don't have to. And since it's still under warranty I shouldn't have to do that. I also don't want to send the unit to Makita in Atlanta...today a fella there said that "I would have to remove the carburetor to get access to the oil suction line"...ha ha... I said "What!!! Remove the carb...are you sure. That's on the other end of the power head" He then woke up and said the clutch. I don't really want this saw to leave my sight. Next step will likely be some kerosene and some compressed air. If anyone comes up with some bright ideas let me know.

Your ideas sound good to me, but I'm no mechtech (my closest experience was replacing the oiler in a Stihl 025, which really wasn't a big deal). How tight is the space in the tank, i.e. can you replace the line by going through the tank? Maybe one of the mechtechs will jump in with an idea. Eric 271 might have experienced this with his saw, but I haven't seen him posting in a while.

Maybe run some ginko biloba tea through it :laugh:.

pull it up through the tank and change it. A twisted piece of wire will work just fine to hook it and grab it out. Hang onto the hose after you pull the filter off, its much harder to get the hose back out again with no filter attached. if you use a coat hanger, dont bend it back and put it back in the closet, the wife gets really pissed. It'll take you 5 minutes and like $4 for the new filter.

I still love my 520i after 3 years.

You can acutally pull the line up out of the tank without removing the clutch and oil pump. Only part that has to be removed is the guide plate that the bar rides on. This will give you acess to the end of the oil line that may be clogged up. The 520 is still sold in other countries, but due to EPA we had to increase the displacement to 54cc and the saw is sold as a DCS540 under Makita and a PS540 under Dolmar.

Thanks Dolmar_Tech_Mgr.
The Makita DCS520 is the same as the Dolmar 111 and the Makita DCS520i is the same as the Dolmar 111i ... correct? The "i" indicates "injector" (no choke), different carb set-up. I have seen some text indicating that the Dolmar 111 has a chrome plated cylinder. So does that mean that the Dolmar 111i and the Makita DCS520i also have chrome plated cylinders? I hear that the Dolmar PS-540 and the Makita DCS540 have nickisil cylinders.

DOLMAR is a Member of the Makita Group

Last edited:
dcs5201

i have same problem on my 520i also.it doesn't what to oil bar either.i thought it must be pump but i think i will check my suction line first to see if i also have a silicon plug.

Thanks Dolmar_Tech_Mgr.
The Makita DCS520 is the same as the Dolmar 111 and the Makita DCS520i is the same as the Dolmar 111i ... correct? The "i" indicates "injector" (no choke), different carb set-up. I have seen some text indicating that the Dolmar 111 has a chrome plated cylinder. So does that mean that the Dolmar 111i and the Makita DCS520i also have chrome plated cylinders? I hear that the Dolmar PS-540 and the Makita DCS540 have nickisil cylinders.

DOLMAR is a Member of the Makita Group

Not sure where you read that the Dolmar saws had chrome cylinders. The last Dolmar manufactered product to have a chrome cylinder was the 309 and 343 Power Cuts which are discontinued. All current products made by Dolmar use Nikasil cylinders as did the 111 and 111i.

Chain Saw Collectors Corner

Not sure where you read that the Dolmar saws had chrome cylinders. The last Dolmar manufactered product to have a chrome cylinder was the 309 and 343 Power Cuts which are discontinued. All current products made by Dolmar use Nikasil cylinders as did the 111 and 111i.

Model: 111

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: DOLMAR MASCHINEN-FABRIK GmbH & Co.
HAMBURG, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 111, 51
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1987
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 52 cc (3.2 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 44 mm (1.73 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 34 mm (1.34 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 2.4 kW (5.5 HP SAE)
WEIGHT : 4.4 kg with 33cm bar & chain
9.8 lbs. with 13 in. bar 7 chain

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...3acd707271d95c5588256b62005b16f2?OpenDocument

Better Quality Oil

I was using that thick cheap ( at one time ) Poulan Pro oil. Using straight canola oil works a lot better. I have some ECHO oil that I will try soon but canola works great.
Thanks for the lead Scott. How was your Christmas concert...did you experience a "White Christmas"?...heh heh

Last edited:
Model: 111

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: DOLMAR MASCHINEN-FABRIK GmbH & Co.
HAMBURG, GERMANY
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER: 111, 51
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1987
YEAR DISCONTINUED:
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 52 cc (3.2 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 44 mm (1.73 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 34 mm (1.34 in.)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Piston ported
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 2.4 kW (5.5 HP SAE)
WEIGHT : 4.4 kg with 33cm bar & chain
9.8 lbs. with 13 in. bar 7 chain

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...3acd707271d95c5588256b62005b16f2?OpenDocument

That information is not correct, the 111 Cylinder used Nikasil.

Back