Makita 6401 VS MS361 VS MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought my Makita recently after hearing nuttin but good things about them. I was looking for a nice 60cc saw to take most of my workload and grabbed one while they were onsale. I've used it a few times now and am not sure its the saw for me.

I felt it was a little big and bulky for a 60cc saw (79cc saw trapped in smaller body). It was comfortable to use and the AV was great (didn't feel spongy). I was happy with the power and only plan on running a 20" bar on this saw.

Now How does this compare to the 361 and the 390? I hear nuttin but good things about the 361 but I think I might like the 390 better. I'm no professional and don't claim to be but after using my buddy's 026 vs my 025 i prefer my 025. I felt my 025 modded was faster compared to his stock saw and looks like the 025 is in a smaller package. Plus I prefer the anti vibe of the 025 over the 026. The 390 is like my 025 and the 361 is like the 026 so that's why i used that analogy to compare them (homeowner vs pro). Just cutting firewood the 390 should last just as long as the 361 I would assume.

Any input on this would be great. Right now i got a trade on the table for the 361 but I'm not so sure yet...I keep leaning toward the 390

you mean trade your 6401 for a 361? I've never handled a 6401 so cannot comment on this a whole lot but I got a 361 and they cure cancer and the 362 prevents cancer :dizzy: so they say. Anyways I like the 361 and like the ergonomics of this saw. Its not too heavy but not too light and will work with 18 - 24" bar but I like the 20".

From a Stihl owner I cannot imagine someone wanting to trade a Makita for a Stihl but maybe I will think differently if I had a Makita in my hand. I will let all of the pros comment on this but especially those who have had both the 6401 and 361.

I actually think all saws are good...I see the good in everything :clap: but for me the dealer support needs to be nearby so Stihl has multiple dears close by so I chose big orange LOL

Curious...how much is the 6401 new? The 361 new is $599 abd that was before the 362 came out. Some dealers give ya a good deal if you bring tepid pepsi... :)

I have an expatriated HD Makita 6401 and a muffler modded ms361. The old 6401 will easily out cut my 361 in big wood but it is a heavier saw and handles just like a club. Air filtration aint nothing to write home about but neither is the filter on the ms361. If you are just looking to buck firewood you probably are all set. If you really want to go nutz, get a 7900 cylinder and piston for your Makita. If you are looking for a lighter saw, get a dolmar 5100. If you are just cutting firewood under 18” in diameter, the 5100 stacks up surprising well against a stock ms361, especially if you factor in the price difference. I have never run a ms390 so I cant help you on that front. Hope this helps.

I have an expatriated HD Makita 6401 and a muffler modded ms361. The old 6401 will easily out cut my 361 in big wood but it is a heavier saw and handles just like a club. Air filtration aint nothing to write home about but neither is the filter on the ms361. If you are just looking to buck firewood you probably are all set. If you really want to go nutz, get a 7900 cylinder and piston for your Makita. If you are looking for a lighter saw, get a dolmar 5100. If you are just cutting firewood under 18” in diameter, the 5100 stacks up surprising well against a stock ms361, especially if you factor in the price difference. I have never run a ms390 so I cant help you on that front. Hope this helps.

I'm looking for a little lighter and a little smaller package. Is the 361 comparable to the 6401 stock vs stock?

I'm looking for a little lighter and a little smaller package. Is the 361 comparable to the 6401 stock vs stock?

The MS361 is both a lot lighter and less bulky than the 6401, the 390 is not! The 390 also is a much lower quality saw than the other two.

Last edited:
I have both a 360 and 6401. While the 6401 is indeed heavier, I tend to like it better. Both good saws.

Nope. The ms361 is 59cc, the Makita 6401 is 64cc. No replacement for displacement. If you want a lighter package, the dolmar 5100 is a good choice for a bucking saw but it is damb close to the ms361 in weight and handling qualities. The other option is the husky NE346xp.Lighter weight and handles like a fine English double. Now if you go and use something like stihl .325 RMC on that NE346xp, you probably will never pick up another saw. All depends on what you are looking for and what you need to cut.

I hate being the guy that throws a totally different saw than your talking about but I run a 372 daily and IMO feel there is no better saw out there to run with a 20" bar. I'm partial to stihl but the 372 just feels like a 60cc saw to me and if shopped for correctly can be bought for about the same price as a 361.

I think I'm just indecisive. The 372 would be a good idea but I already have the Dayton and the 925 so I have 2 good saws in that range. I have no expirence with the 5100 or even the 361 or 390. I'll have to see if someone local to me has one to try.

I do like the makita and still may keep it but it would still be nice to have something in the same power range that's a smaller and lighter package... A go to saw.

While you guys are on the topic, there's a dealer demo 361 nearby I might buy next week when my tax refund gets here. $450 and since it's not *new* I can gut the muffler.
But then I've wanted a 6401 for awhile to do the conversion.
I'm thinking snap up the 361 since 6401's area dime a dozen and maybe get lucky at Home Depot for a 6401.
Although after running the 361 I was disappointed that it seemed weaker than an 036 I'm selling.

While you guys are on the topic, there's a dealer demo 361 nearby I might buy next week when my tax refund gets here. $450 and since it's not *new* I can gut the muffler.
But then I've wanted a 6401 for awhile to do the conversion.
I'm thinking snap up the 361 since 6401's area dime a dozen and maybe get lucky at Home Depot for a 6401.
Although after running the 361 I was disappointed that it seemed weaker than an 036 I'm selling.

Yup although the muffler mod and carb adjustment do make it about the same... I have been told that if you plan to mod the saw a ported 361 will walk over an 036 due to the port design... But I have never ran a moded 361..

id pick the 6401 it is more versitle specialy when you facorty in that it can go 80cc with a bigbore kit. and its also cheaper then the 361 its kinda a win win

the 6401 is 1lb heavier. i guess when your old like sawtroll thats alot

Last edited:
id pick the 6401 it is more versitle specialy when you facorty in that it can go 80cc with a bigbore kit. and its also cheaper then the 361 its kinda a win win

I may consider staying with my 6401 and just do the 7900 top end to put it in the right class. Then later decide which 50-60cc saw i want. That may be the best decision in the end

if you do baileys bigbore kit youl be saveing a ton of money compared to trying to scrap together the money for 361. i feel the 61 is overated it just cost to much.
if you were hardset on getn a 361 id try and steer you towards a used one or pissibly even another brand.

is your 6401 muffler modded yet?

Back