MAKITA DCS 500 - Yes or No

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been using a McCulloch 14inch (Mac 338) for 2-3 years now mostly to cut firewood but also to fell some largish trees and have been offered a new Makita DCS500 at a bargain price - don't know much about Makita. Would I be better going for a Stihl 260 or is an 18 inch 50cc saw too powerful for general logging?. Grateful for any advice

I cut firewood (commercially) with a Stihl 660. That's 91.5cc and a 25" bar. For what I do I wouldn't get anything smaller.

I also have a Jonsered 2137 (40cc -16"). Originally for camp fire and 4WD recovery work (trees across the road etc). It cuts fine, but a bit slower then I need in order to earn a wage.

It depends on what you're cutting, but you can NEVER have too much power. Only too much weight! An 18" bar would be just right for home firewood work.

One thing I did find when I first bought a big saw. Get quality.
Got an Echo and within 2 hours it did a cylinder (shop fixed at their expense due Echo claiming not a good enough quality 2-stroke oil).

I can feel the vibrations more, it seems to weigh more and it cuts at half the speed of the Stihl, despite the the Stihl only having 11cc more.

Back