Man Accidentally Kills Wife With Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WVwoodsman

WVwoodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519737,00.html

OTSEGO, Mich. — Michigan authorities say a man working in his yard accidentally killed his wife with a chain saw.

The Otsego couple were trying to cut a tree Sunday when the man hit his wife in the neck with the chain saw.

She died at the scene of the accident, about 35 miles south of Grand Rapids.

Sheriff's Deputy David Labonde lives nearby. He tells WOOD-TV he heard a cry for help and did what he could to help.

The sheriff's department says it's withholding the couple's names until other relatives are notified. The TV station says they're in their 40s.

ttamoneypit

ttamoneypit

ArboristSite Operative
I'm a newb at using chainsaws and I don't let anyone within I swear 50 yards of me

but I'm usually yelling at my kids to stay away before i even fire a chainsaw up

the whole i killed my wife by accident---UMM I don't buy it

I joke with my wife twhen she is pissin me off that we should go out on boat for a nice long fishing trip--kinda like all those luxery cruises where somone accidentally falls over board--I make the sound affects of drowning/sinking--bloop bloop bloop

I just joke about it though--I could never kill my cash cow--she makes almost triple my salary:censored:

kd3yt1

kd3yt1

This was a terrible tragedy that never should have happened. Why in the world was she close enough to get hit with the blade, whether a kickback or what ever. He will have to live with that to his grave.

mnsnow

mnsnow

ArboristSite Member
Last week end I was working clearing brush from a home owners property. Her neighbor saw us working and came out to see what was happening and asked if we would take out a tree that was on the property line. I asked the homeowner and she told me to do it.

Well, the neighbor started to tell me how to cut the tree and how to drop it. His wife wants to hold this little maple tree out of the way so it won't get hit when the tree falls. I told her "not a good idea" and to get out of the way. I start to make the cut and look over my shoulder and this guy is right next to me. Told him to "move over there".

Drop the tree and the neighbor is happy it fell where he wanted. Now things get "dumber". I start to cut things up to get rid of (about 3' - 4' pieces) and he starts carrying them over to me. He asks me to cut it up to firewood size - so, I said I would do it. The Dumb*** wants me to cut the logs while he holds the pieces up in the air - not even a foot away from me (couldn't believe it). Told him to clear the area and I would get it done.

I believe some people are never meant to have/use power equipment. I feel sorry for the guy who killed his wife, but they were not being safe.

Later, this guy spotted the HT131 and asks "can you do my a favor". I gave him a hairy eyeball look and he said "or maybe not, but if you change your mind". The only thing that would change my mind is $$$$$ - I don't run my stuff for free and my insurance isn't free either. Glad to get out of there.......

Last edited:
Taxmantoo

Taxmantoo

Plays with chainsaws
. AS Supporting Member.
I just joke about it though--I could never kill my cash cow--she makes almost triple my salary:censored:

Not a good thing to joke about.

This guy used to joke about killing his wife. Bragged about how he could kill her and get away with it if he wanted (I know some of her family). Then one night he ventilated her with an AK clone while she cowered under the bed. But he "never meant to kill her", and her attorney claims there were "mitigating circumstances".
http://www.wlbz2.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=95387&catid=3

landyboy

landyboy

ArboristSite Operative
I`ve had a similar situation to mnsnow:someone being a bit too close and helpfull. Diving in to remove branches in the work area and thinking i would cut logs while he held them.
Just had to tell him to gtfo the way and stay away. I hate people hovering behind especially if i have a long bar. So easy to tag someone with a moving chain.
Treat it like barrel awareness with a firearm. Good comparison from Brad.:clap:

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
That is horrible but Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was her neck dong anywhere near a saw?!?!

X10^6

Maybe I'm overly paranoid, but I don't let my wife or her dog out of the house when I'm sawing on trees, and it has nothing to do with the bar. I'm no expert at dropping trees, but I have knocked enough down to know that unexpected things happen. Dead limbs and tops can come down, and unseen rot can change the direction of the fall.

I'm generally not smart enough to look out for myself, so I definitely don't need the distraction of wondering where everyone else is. When I was cutting helipads in my firefighting days, everyone cleared out once the saw got going.

God of ArboristSite
a bit more details...

----------

Report: Otsego woman dies after chainsaw hits her while cutting down tree with husband
by The Grand Rapids Press staff
Sunday May 10, 2009, 11:08 PM

OTSEGO - In an apparent accident, a man killed his wife when a chainsaw he was using hit her in the neck Sunday, according to a broadcast report.

The couple was trying to cut down a tree in their yard when the incident occurred around 2 p.m. The wife was pronounced dead at the scene, according to WOOD-TV.

The station talked to David Labonte, a neighbor and deputy for the Allegan County Sheriff Department: "I heard a cry for help, so I came outside and at that time, I saw what was going on and I rendered as much aid as I possibly could. I'm glad that based on my position, that I was the one that was the first to respond."

The incident remains under investigation, but investigators told WOOD-TV that there doesn't appear to be foul play.

talk about the worst way to ruin mother's day. truly tragic, and i hope to god it was indeed an accident. i guess i would like to hear the particulars of this incident to figure out how someone could operate a chainsaw in such a manner as to cause harm to a bystander.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/05/report_otsego_woman_dies_after.html

jrjuday

jrjuday

ArboristSite Operative
That is horrible for sure. Cutting any tree has always made by a-hole pucker and it does every time I fell one. A little fore thought goes a long way in this line of work. I've tried to convince people, mainly my brother that setting the chain brake when you move, end a cut that won't be quickly followed by another cut, and when you put down the saw to do anything but cut wood. That is what they are there for. I taught my wife to cut with a 200T, scary 20 min. that was, till she got the hang of it.

stipes

stipes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pretty sad ending....Feel sorry for the husband and family....It's bad enough when you hurt yourself ,,but when it happens to a family member or friend ,,it's bad my friends....You gonna live that day over and over each day you live...
I always tell anyone around me to stay the hell away,if I have a kick back,,you cant control where that bar is going...But sad too,,,people dont realize when you get out of a cut,,take your finger off the trigger...Throttle blippin is a bad habbit and especially to turn around doin that on your blind side...

Wild Knight

Wild Knight

ArboristSite Guru
Giving the guy the benefit of the doubt as to foul play, I cannot comprehend how hard a lesson this is for him to learn; one I am content to learn vicariously. What must have been racing through his mind split seconds after it happened, trying to stop the bleeding, screaming for help...it just makes me sick.