Man Nearly Saws His Face During Newscast cutting off blowdown tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
staged and fake.

No way was that fake. IMO

I want to know if holding onto a log with a grapple or hoe to cut off the plate is a big no no? It appears to me this could have been avoided with a wedge during the cut then pick up the log after everything stops moving and saw guy is out of the way.

How should this have gone down correctly?

Ted

maybe it was a staged scenario gone awry. ...what about the near miss with his left hand? Looked like a bad position to be in, leaning way forward off balance while cutting. But I'm sure alot of us have been in an off balanced position cutting thinking we will get away with it. I know I have.

No way was that fake. IMO

I want to know if holding onto a log with a grapple or hoe to cut off the plate is a big no no? It appears to me this could have been avoided with a wedge during the cut then pick up the log after everything stops moving and saw guy is out of the way.

How should this have gone down correctly?

Ted

Loader under the root ball... Those things suck to deal with... Especially fresh ones... :msp_thumbdn:

First off he had no PPE, personal protective equipment. A helmet with a face shield, gloves, saw chaps all should have been worn and could have saved him if he had not been as lucky as he was. Secondly, I wonder about the training and competency of this outfit. Third, if you have the grapple there already then why not pick up the log enough that you could shoove a piece of wood or something under the log on the log side of the anticipated cut to prevent the log from dropping as the root ball was cut away. Then you would only have to worry about the root ball falling down and minimize the movement of the log thus making a more predictable cut. Just my two cents.

I try to leave them for winter and let them freeze solid.

I'm guessing the crew was getting paid either by the town or the homeowner to get the tree(s) cleaned up ASAP.

Looks like the guy's saw got caught in the stump side of the kerf and was pulled forward when the rootball settled back down.

Close call, I bet that put the fear of God into him. Sure would like to see the the 20 seconds before the mishap so I could better understand what exactly he was doing.

Very dangerous cutting in those post storm damaged areas esp with heavy equipment on the ground. You have to step back and calculate most every cut under load...or have a knowledgeable spotter looking over the big picture coaching you.

First off he had no PPE, personal protective equipment. A helmet with a face shield, gloves, saw chaps all should have been worn and could have saved him if he had not been as lucky as he was. Secondly, I wonder about the training and competency of this outfit. Third, if you have the grapple there already then why not pick up the log enough that you could shoove a piece of wood or something under the log on the log side of the anticipated cut to prevent the log from dropping as the root ball was cut away. Then you would only have to worry about the root ball falling down and minimize the movement of the log thus making a more predictable cut. Just my two cents.
Cheese sandwiches=$8 :msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back