Manswers proves Jomoco wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole thread has been just about as thrilling as cutting brush with a dull saw.

I'm sure it feels much like a civil war amputation with a dull saw MDS.

That you guys feel some treeworkers are deserving of it stiil bothers me.

jomoco

I'm sure it feels much like a civil war amputation with a dull saw MDS.

That you guys feel some treeworkers are deserving of it stiil bothers me.

jomoco

I think some people just arent made to be treeworkers... that is to say If you ground guy drools alot, maybe he better think about a different proffession -and I for one wouldnt be putting him with a WTC! Like someone said earlier "you cant fix stupid". It is sort of sad that whenever I run an ad for help that this is pretty much what I get. So I see your point and i think it is a good and noble thing that your concerned for these people, I just dont see it as being realistic this two guys chipping thing. Its hard enough for us smaller guys to make it out there lately.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a buddy of mine that works for one of the big line clearance companies. We got talking about this no one handing a saw deal, he said "I think theyre trying to make that a rule". I said "I think it already is, but I'm not sure". He replied "well if it is they had better not enforce it - unless they want to see production slow to a crawl".

Of course I'm just a regular small time treeguy, but thats my opinion FWIW. :cheers:

D
I think some people just arent made to be treeworkers... that is to say If you ground guy drools alot, maybe he better think about a different proffession -and I for one wouldnt be putting him with a WTC! Like someone said earlier "you cant fix stupid". It is sort of sad that whenever I run an ad for help that this is pretty much what I get. So I see your point and i think it is a good and noble thing that your concerned for these people, I just dont see it as being realistic this two guys chipping thing. Its hard enough for us smaller guys to make it out there lately.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a buddy of mine that works for one of the big line clearance companies. We got talking about this no one handing a saw deal, he said "I think theyre trying to make that a rule". I said "I think it already is, but I'm not sure". He replied "well if it is they had better not enforce it - unless they want to see production slow to a crawl".

Of course I'm just a regular small time treeguy, but thats my opinion FWIW. :cheers:

Derail!
Jeff

I think some people just arent made to be treeworkers... that is to say If you ground guy drools alot, maybe he better think about a different proffession -and I for one wouldnt be putting him with a WTC! Like someone said earlier "you cant fix stupid". It is sort of sad that whenever I run an ad for help that this is pretty much what I get.

Unfortunately true. There are some good guys out there, but seem to be hard to find.

So I see your point and i think it is a good and noble thing that your concerned for these people, I just dont see it as being realistic this two guys chipping thing. Its hard enough for us smaller guys to make it out there lately.

Agreed.. and if they ever tried to enforce it you would see a lot of smaller guys hang up their hat.

I don't recall anything about that being law anywhere around here. They do teach it in all the courses as unsafe, but even the training courses do not mention as being illegal in any way.

Now there have been a lot of injuries from this.. and if you are not using a top-handled saw then you best have horseshoes in your back pocket. Is it safe.. likely not. But I dare say that 97% of all users on here have done it at least once :)

Part of safety or at least remaining alive and uninjured is recognizing the risk, being afraid of the danger.. and using common sense.

Regarding the one handing thing. It may or may not be an ansi thing, I should know as there have been about a million threads on here pertaining to it...I just skimmed through those because they were kinda boring and nobody cares, theyre gonna do what they do anyway, myself included.

But I didnt mean to derail the thread with that, was just using it as an example.

theyre gonna do what they do anyway, myself included.

Exactly true.. which is why legislation does not usually work well.

In fact safety equipment does not always work well either.. it may save an idiot a few times.. but eventually it will catch up with them.

I still say some basic safety training.. and common sense.

Who speaks on behalf of the under paid, unrecognised hardworking groundies and drivers that run these WTC's?

They're in the back of the chiptruck.

TCIA, ANSI, ISA and others have all supported extra safety measures for climbers, like a preset rescue line installed in the tree, and a qualified climber on hand to perform the rescue. This is how big commercial companies get their accreditations and fancy stickers by documenting their close adherence to ANSI standards.

Why can't the groundie risking his life feeding a WTC get an additional man just like the friggin climber does? He's just as important to the crew's core function and safety as the climber is, maybe more so.

Buncha primadonnas shortchanging your groundmen is what I'm hearing here.

jomoco

Who speaks on behalf of the under paid,

Buncha primadonnas shortchanging your groundmen is what I'm hearing here.

jomoco

Selective indignation.

Maybe you feel this cause is destined to bring you notoriety? I wouldn't count on it were I you. It may just go the way of the leather cambium saver or the cable bolt aligning device.

You have no idea how we treat our ground personnel and you may be wise to contemplate your treatment of them if you have had 2 near fatalities like you describe.

Selective indignation.

Maybe you feel this cause is destined to bring you notoriety? I wouldn't count on it were I you. It may just go the way of the leather cambium saver or the cable bolt aligning device.

You have no idea how we treat our ground personnel and you may be wise to contemplate your treatment of them if you have had 2 near fatalities like you describe.

'Scuse me Dave but it was

The fact that I have witnessed 3 separate close calls on my own jobs where a second WTC operator got to the reverse bar quick enough to save a trapped/incapacitated operator from sure death

Jomoco still has not answered my question as to what training he is providing that allows this massive failure on his part.

If Jomoco gains any notoriety from this thread it will be as a hypocrite of the first water with an appalling safety record and a general lack of care for his crew.

Jon is a sub-contract climber thats works with alot of different crews, he is not the owner or trainer.
Jeff

Go split hairs on some other forum Lovstrom. Your bf called out the entire industry with his holier-than-thou line of BS and then shot his foot clean off. The possesive "my" indicates that "his" crew were under "his" control and not once, not twice but three times someone went into the chipper. That is wrong anyway you look at it. Someone with that appalling record has no place correcting others whose approach has kept their crews perfectly safe.

Last edited:
Back in the late 80's I worked for Georgia Pacific at a plant here in Georgia.

We had a big chipper for all the log refuse which could chip up too a 40 inch log. It had a 96 inch disc. It was driven by a 1000 horsepower electric motor and the cutter disc was so heavy it had to be started by two hydraulic motors until at 100 RPM's then the electric kicked in.

Anyway, when I first went to work there I noticed this old guy who had a job driving a specially engineered sweeping machine which he could drive with no legs. I assumed he was a vet that had his legs blown off in veitnam or something. WRONG!

He was working in the infeed area clearing debris from in the way of the chipper and signaled the operator to bump the flywheel to see if it was free. He fell onto the feed rollers and got fed into the chipper. The operator shut it down as the guy hung onto some hand rails for dear life. How the guy managed to survive is beyond me but there he was, no legs, driving the floor sweeper.

I remember reading about that event many years ago. As I recall, he got lighter when his legs got whacked, and then he could pull himself off the conveyor.

Back