Marks carvings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

Awesome, Mark!

Here's a carving that was done 15-20 years ago. Biggest one I've ever seen, though it uses some inlays. I later gave the carver a 24000 pound 24 foot 8 foot at the base sequoia log....haven't checked up to see what if anything he ever did with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Caving Mark indeed. I see you paint too. I've never seen anything carved like that out here. I did go to an Artist wood show once in Soho. Bowls out of burls and the such. The thing I am learning about wood is how to make it so it dosn't crack.

Fabulous work, Mark!! Out here, most carvings that I see aren't protectively coated. While the weathered look might be natural, treated will last a lot longer, and looks great as well.

Adrpk said:
Caving Mark indeed. I see you paint too. I've never seen anything carved like that out here. I did go to an Artist wood show once in Soho. Bowls out of burls and the such. The thing I am learning about wood is how to make it so it dosn't crack.

I have found that anything carved out of round stock will check.Sometimes we can direct it away to less obvious places by putting in relief cuts.

rbtree said:
Fabulous work, Mark!! Out here, most carvings that I see aren't protectively coated. While the weathered look might be natural, treated will last a lot longer, and looks great as well.

Sometimes I will leave a unfinished carving outside so it gets weathered.I think it looks cool,but if they are really nice ones I will put a finish on.Thanks for the compliment. Mark

carvinmark said:
View attachment 35769 I had over 300 hours in this.every feather has every line carved,sold for $6700.00, not much per hour but what a learning curve.
You are one talented guy! Good news is you can make money while doing what you obviously enjoy. I'm working towards that myself with my fledgling woodshop business but won't really have the time it demands until I retire from my current job. I particularly enjoy your carvings of old men in trees. Thanks for posting these... this is a great forum, I love this stuff.

My latest carving. Granted it's a little rough. But once I clean that bear up it'll be a beauty. It's a white birch. Gave me a hard time but I won. What do you think a slab of that would look like. Anybody on how long to let it dry before I slice it open. Next year, maybe two?

Latest posts

Back