Marks carvings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, you are really good. There are a ton of chainsaw "artists" out there, and most aren't really artists.

You are.

Do you make your living at it?

BlueRidgeMark said:
Mark, you are really good. There are a ton of chainsaw "artists" out there, and most aren't really artists.

You are.

Do you make your living at it?
Thank you.I want to go pro,full time carving but it's a tuff way to make $.I make my living building and installing log home accessories-log railings,staircases,trim,furniture,ect. You need to be able to carve real fast to live off it and that takes experience,I've been carving part time for about four years. Maby in a few more years?

Yeah. I know a fella who worked as a maintenance man at a Thousand Trails campground for a good many years while he tried to get going full time as a wood carver.

I know what you mean about speed, Mark. This guy can take a 14" x 2' section of log, and turn it into a raccoon peeking out of a hollow log in about 30 minutes, while keeping up an entertaining patter to a crowd watching.

Marketing counts, too!

BlueRidgeMark said:
Yeah. I know a fella who worked as a maintenance man at a Thousand Trails campground for a good many years while he tried to get going full time as a wood carver.

I know what you mean about speed, Mark. This guy can take a 14" x 2' section of log, and turn it into a raccoon peeking out of a hollow log in about 30 minutes, while keeping up an entertaining patter to a crowd watching.

Marketing counts, too!

Racoons can be difficult to carve,at least I find them to be a real challenge.I carved this one on the side of my Eagle carving on the stump.
View attachment 35832 I hang out with a guy that can carve a 3' bear that sells for 75.00 and it takes him about 15 minutes. As you can see, I like to make my stuff look very real, but my buddy has me thinking about slamming out some "quitsee stuff". Last week he walked me thru his quick bear.It took me twice as long and I felt like I was doing something wrong,but what the heck,Cash is Cash and quick Cash is sure nice.

Adrpk said:
My latest carving. Granted it's a little rough. But once I clean that bear up it'll be a beauty. It's a white birch. Gave me a hard time but I won. What do you think a slab of that would look like. Anybody on how long to let it dry before I slice it open. Next year, maybe two?

How's that bear coming?? You can do it, it's not that hard,you just gotta wanna.

Mushrooms

View attachment 35833

I sell more of these than even I can belive. Everybody can afford 20.00. When they watch you from start to finish(with color) in 15 min. I make these out of my cutt-offs from my business-my junk!!!

Wow that is so cool, I really like the colur on that turtle.
You only charge 20$ for that
Its really nice .
You are an artist as blueridgemark said :popcorn:

Adrpk said:
Sofie's cute. I'm curious about the paint. Are you also the airbrusher?
What kind of wood is Sofie made out of.

Yes, i'm working on the airbrushing with the help of a truely great painter,we call him painter Mike. Sofie is out of poplar (hope I spelled that close to right).
This was a cut-off from a bear I carved that was a support in a log house.

darkstar said:
Wow that is so cool, I really like the colur on that turtle.
You only charge 20$ for that
Its really nice .
You are an artist as blueridgemark said :popcorn:

No, you missed the boat here, mushrooms go for 20.00,that turtle would run ya about 450.00,but she isn't for sale. Sofie was a birthday present to my old lady.

Mark

carvinmark said:
I sell more of these than even I can belive. Everybody can afford 20.00. When they watch you from start to finish(with color) in 15 min. I make these out of my cutt-offs from my business-my junk!!!

Mark, you are GROSSLY underpricing your stuff! Even a poorly done 3' bear should bring a few hundred, NOT seventy five bucks!

Check out that link to Jonathan the Bear Man - look at his prices.

Of course, it helps if you market to the right clientele....

attachment.php

http://www.jonathanbearman.com/sculpture2.htm

carvinmark said:
No, you missed the boat here, mushrooms go for 20.00,that turtle would run ya about 450.00,but she isn't for sale. Sofie was a birthday present to my old lady.

Mark

Okay, we're cross-posting. $450 is more like it!

BlueRidgeMark said:
Mark, you are GROSSLY underpricing your stuff! Even a poorly done 3' bear should bring a few hundred, NOT seventy five bucks!

Check out that link to Jonathan the Bear Man - look at his prices.

Of course, it helps if you market to the right clientele....

attachment.php

http://www.jonathanbearman.com/sculpture2.htm

Would you do some P.R. for me???? Heck at those figures we could do almost a 50/50 split and I would be ahead of where I am now.lol. Seriously,I do know what you mean but when the buyers only have 50.00 to spend and you get them to dig up another 25.00,I gotta take it. You are right, I need the right market.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I build log railings for a living and I can't help myself,those are some nasty fitting railings,whoever built those should just stop,PLEASE.

Back